Tamiya A6M2 Zero 1/32...advice needed, please

anj4de

Hello all

I have already read through some of the Zero stuff here and there but still would like to get some proffesional advise for my next zero project. I have bought the 1/32 A6M2 Zero from Tamiya...I already have built the A6M5 about 15 years ago...it came out ok but not to what I would like to see today...

So what do I want...a Nakajima build A6M2 with the later ailerons without the external weights, painted with WE enemals, here AC J17 Ame-iro. I was able to get two tins here in Germany via a Dutch dealer... I would also like to portray an early, good condition, Nakajima before they got the white border around the fuselage sun and without the yellow leding edges on the wings. So what am I looking for?

Pictures first of all... 😉

...and then data from when on Nakajima produced Zeros. I understand that for the Hawaiian campaign only Mitsubishi planes were used...since Nakajima at that time had not build any?

What about the Aleutians raids, where Nakajimas already used there...or at Midway a few weeks later?

Any advise and documentation is highly appriciated.

thanks a lot

Uwe

a6m5_aslitolineup_c.jpg

I think these are model 52's, but note the difference in shape of the tails and the curve of the canopy top, the center aircraft does stand out as different.  Not sure which is Nakajima (center?) as the individual that posted this was unclear.

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/614271-Nakajima-Model-52-Zero-tail-8-(203mm)-shorter-than-Mitsubishi-August-MAM

regards,

Jack

3 hours ago, JackG said:

I think these are model 52's, but note the difference in shape of the tails and the curve of the canopy top, the center aircraft does stand out as different.  Not sure which is Nakajima (center?) as the individual that posted this was unclear.

All three are Nakajima build at this picture. The shape of the tails and canopy are the same on all model of zero ... from 21 to 52. 

Zegeye, thanks for that .. my eyes must be tricking me then.  I tried outlining, in red, the tail of the middle aircraft, and transferred the same shape to the other two.  Difficult to say with certainty of any shape differences due to photo quality:

2zg6wvf.jpg

I don't have access to verified blueprints, so these are a couple googled images superimposed over the other - the red drawing is of the Mitsubishi A6M2 over the Rufe.   Whatever I tried lining up would not match elsewhere, so no proof here either.   Was the whole tail modified on the float version or just the bottom portion?

E1ybrwi.jpg

The only other published difference I've come across is mention of the Nakajima spinner being longer and more pointed, from page 26 of the linked publication:

https://books.google.ca/books?id=56f3DAAAQBAJ&pg=PT50&lpg=PT50&dq=A6M2bs+have+a+longer,+more+pointed+spinner.&source=bl&ots=oUwwB8xvhk&sig=ACfU3U10xgs9GeoHIqv6fr_kW3E1RAIpeg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_3sqEo4LhAhVs9YMKHaw1B_gQ6AEwBXoECAMQAQ#v=onepage&q=A6M2bs have a longer%2C more pointed spinner.&f=false

regards,

Jack