Looking for photographs of early Spitfires

Basilisk

I know, this should be in the interwar sub forum, but I figure I have a better chance to get some replays here.

As the title states, I am looking for pre-war spitfire pictures. specially from No. 54 and 72 Squadron with the squadron marking on the fin.

Spit-SDH.jpg

There is a well known picture of SD-H from No 72 Squadron

Spit-SDH-1.jpg

I also found these two.

Spit-SDH-2.jpg

Spit-SDH-3.jpg

Are there any others?

But I had no luck finding a picture of DL-N from 54 Squadron.

Spit-DLN.jpg

Does a picture exist?

And how about LZ-H from 66 Squadron.

Spit-LZH.jpg

Any pictures of it somewhere?

There are plenty of early Hurricane pictures, but pictures of early Spitfires are unfortunately not so plentiful.

It would be great if someone knows where I can find some of these pictures.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

A picture of K9923 appears in Squadron Signal's Spitfire in Action. The aircraft is shown during recovery of the fuselage after an accident, the tail is unfortunately not visible

Great. Thanks for this information Giorgio. I guess no picture exists of DL-N.

Cheers, Peter

Excuse the poor quality of this photograph Peter, however here is a somewhat small and grainy photograph of K9843 DL:N. Aviation News published quite a good article on Pre-War RAF codes in Volume 15, number 7 (22Aug - 04 Sep 1986). There’s a few more Spits shown, however it would appear that only 54 and 72 Squadrons have the tail fin Squadron arrow head. 

Cheers.. Dave 

33509170838_7a022bbe8e_b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

Not seen any picture of DL-N but will keep searching. Small correction: this aircraft was with 54 Sqn, not 72. Codes for 72 were SD, although the unit carried codes RN while on Gladiators and later reverted to the same RN

Thanks to point out my mix-up. I corrected the first post.

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Excuse the poor quality of this photograph Peter, however here is a somewhat small and grainy photograph of K9843 DL:N. Aviation News published quite a good article on Pre-War RAF codes in Volume 15, number 7 (22Aug - 04 Sep 1986). There’s a few more Spits shown, however it would appear that only 54 and 72 Squadrons have the tail fin Squadron arrow head. 

Cheers.. Dave

Terrific. Thanks for finding this picture Dave. Better this poor picture than nothing. I should have a copy of the magazine - if I can find it that is.

Yes, only 54 and 72 Squadron had the Squadron arrow on the fin.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 1