Airfix 1/48 F.6 conversion

DenPhill

Hi everyone, I've been converting the 1/48 Airfix F.6 kit to a 'T' bird, XL573 Lossiemouth with wrapped around camo. I've left the white painted intakes areas off, I don't like them, but my references show no serial numbers under the main wings, my question is, is this right?

P.S. I will post pictures of the finished model sometime this week.

Yours fumbling around Greg

Edited by DenPhill
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

That would be correct. Underwing serials started to disappear from RAF aircraft in the early 1980s.

Looking nice, by the way.

Thanks for that you're a God send. This saves me time messing around applying decals to those U/C doors.

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Did you make the T.7 nose yourself from the balsa buck? If so excellent work!

Yes, thanks. The master is made from Balsa wood to create a silicone mold to make the resin piece.

• Like 2

I built XL573 in the markings of 237 OCU "WC" at Lossie @1985. I did put underwing serials on it, they were included in the Fantasy Printshop decal set for this aircraft.

I can't find any photo's of the undersides from that time period to show whether it should or should not have them. I was groundcrew on 237 OCU at the time, but I can't remember for the life of me if they were there.

So it's down to personal choice, no one can prove you wrong either way.

IMG-3888.jpg

IMG-3890.jpg

Rob.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

I built XL573 in the markings of 237 OCU "WC" at Lossie @1985. I did put underwing serials on it, they were included in the Fantasy Printshop decal set for this aircraft.

I can't find any photo's of the undersides from that time period to show whether it should or should not have them. I was groundcrew on 237 OCU at the time, but I can't remember for the life of me if they were there.

So it's down to personal choice, no one can prove you wrong either way.

Rob.

Beautiful model, thanks.

17 hours ago, drwho said:

will u be making anymore

I may make the T.8M from it later. The parts were made for personal use only and not designed to be let loose on the modeling world.

Thanks, Greg

Well finished the Airfix 1/48 F.6, at last, to a Hunter made for two. Took pictures of the final ‘T’ bird only to notice that I’d forgotten to add the wing pitot, added a pic with the paint still wet. The only issues I had was sourcing the ‘WC’ decal that goes on the rear tail near the fin flash. Fantasy Printshop make a sheet for the XL573 Hunter, but I wasn't going to pay £20+for the 'WC' motif, had the other decals needed to hand.  I will place the final pictures in the ready for inspection area.

Greg