Vultee Vengeance TTIV

The almost finished paintwork looks great and there's no signs of the fight this one has been throwing up :thumbsup:

On 5/18/2019 at 8:45 PM, Col. said:

The almost finished paintwork looks great and there's no signs of the fight this one has been throwing up :thumbsup:

Thanks Col, hopefully on the home straight now, but there will be a short break as we're away over the coming week or so. Mind you, the painting is finished and the Sky band (which looks really incongruous) has been masked and painted. 

resized_62b3cb6b-4dcb-4fde-8917-05d4e272

resized_0f1348cf-aa81-48ad-becb-a8018469

• Like 2

Transfers on. Not many but add a bit of colour. 

resized_bf5388b9-6fb1-469b-9424-7883c7f4

resized_60e1963a-e49d-4c96-be60-15d049b1

There is a little bit of touching up needed where the masking tape has lifted a little bit of the camo. Will leave until the transfers have bedded down. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

'two hours of pushin' broom, Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room' - so said Roger Miller (and the Proclaimers) in King of the road. This canopy took the best part of two days. Several hours to cut out and trim. But the real time was taken up with masking. It's ready for affixing and obviously I'll have leave it to set before doing anything else. Hopefully an early start tomorrow will get it over the finishing line. 

resized_18452232-a9e8-4dcd-adc6-41c7b533

• Like 2

Afraid I have not managed to finish this one on time. Just too much to do; multimedia, masking the underside, a fair amount of fettling, the vac form canopy and the interminable masking. Probably needs another few days. I've attached the canopy and sealed it in and painted it. It still needs a coat of matt varnish. And then all the other bits attached, including assembling the propeller. 

resized_18452232-a9e8-4dcd-adc6-41c7b533

I will finish the thread here and put it into the RIF section once complete. 

Transparency painted and a couple of coats of matt varnish on most of the airframe. Unmasked, and although the fit of the canopy wasn't great, the frames don't look to bad. Also, main undercarriage and tail wheel on.  

resized_f76ab931-46e6-4600-9239-53f8a272

• Like 2

Prop under assembly; resin hub and polystyrene blades. And no shaft. Yet another nightmare. Or alternatively proper modelling!  Thank goodness for this tool. 

resized_b276d4ce-6748-420c-bace-47765b30

• 2 months later...

More work on this one. It's been neglected as I work on the other current GBs.  And most of the finishing neeeds to be done with superglue!

All the sticky out bits added and painted. Just the exhausts and the guard or target towing line feed to be added. The exhaust were on but the glue didn't take and they fell off. It was just as well as I wasn't terribly happy with their fit. I've sanded them down a little and angled the inner end so they should fit better. 

resized_9d210ab8-128a-4dd0-9407-60f96abb

Including the main undercarriage doors. 

resized_8693314f-cbf5-44f6-b5e1-3a5a498a

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Almost done now. All the resin attached and the only thing to do is add the aerial. However, it has gone missing so I've had to make one up from plastic strip. No big deal but it'll need painted and varnished at the bottom end at least, before affixing to the canopy. Probably another day for this little job due to the fiddly nature. However, I'm hopeful it'll be in the RFI by the end of the weekend. 

resized_5eb99f09-9471-4388-afaf-f3baa72e

Finally done. All the sticky out bits added, paint finished off and ready for RFI.

resized_e8a450e4-4791-466c-b84d-97850673

resized_4247ec6d-27ae-4b4e-b2ee-e135ef95