Camel and Lysanders rebuilds for 1 Canadian Air Command display

A short break from other projects. The one who takes care of the Sir William Stevenson display at the Air Command HQ here in Winnipeg's 17 wing asked me to repair a few models for display. Sir William Stevenson has an interesting story and history and became the inspiration for the writing of James Bond, he is also from Winnipeg and the airport is named after him. I actually never read much on him which I guess is pretty bad for me.

The models are two 1/48 Hawk Lysanders and an unknown maker of a Sopwith Camel. One Lysander is a repair that someone else made. The other needs to be built complete except the fuse and cockpit were put together already. The Camel arrived broken during shipping. It's a great model, pre built and lots of detail, the wheels are actual wire spokes. It's covered in an actual fabric. Guessing it's 1/32. I will have a Lancastrian and a Mosquito to make soon to go with these on display. These are to be representative of aircraft used by William Stevenson. I was told of some of his firsts and adventures but can't remember them well enough to write them here, so I'll let you look into it. Here's what was given to me.

1-CAD-models-Mar-9-2019.jpg

I painted the Lysander with Humbrol 26 and didn't like it, seemed way to dark, so I went with Humbrol 29. The green is Humbrol 119. I kind of did roughly my own masking for the camo. I saw so many variations and the models not the greatest either. The little tabs coming off the canopy to the wings broke on both planes. I made two new spars from 1/8" brass rod, notched the top canopy till it fit over them and epoxied it all in. I also made a small brass pin in the landing gear base where the bottom of the struts attach. I can't see this model going together without that. Italeri's Lysander is the same kit I found out. Other than those needed repairs it's straight from the box.

1-CAD-models-Mar-12-2019.jpg

Here it is with some Future floor wax sprayed on for the decals. The brown sure looks different with gloss on. Not used to 1/48 kits and not used to camo painting, been awhile. Because my airbrush won't do a super clean edge without a lot of overspray(maybe it's just me), the edges of the tape were left peeled up just a bit so the paint would leave a slight feathered edge.

1-CAD-models-Mar-13-2019.jpg

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...