Another D-Day Aircraft- Waco

This was a challenge due to trying to make the stripes a little rough. As these were not coming back I gathered they were not Perfect. Pictures seem to verify some straight and some rough.

I decided on the rough edges.

f0uG4Uo.jpg

I had to add the rear tail braces and the guide wires.

IM0SRJC.jpg

I look forward to the Horsa (just started) at least a little more Interesting Scheme..OD and Neutral gray..Along with those lovely black and white stripes.

2JZWVyK.jpg

Fun and rather easy build, basic modeling skills

i3fbjgl.jpg

Thanks for taking a look

Comments welcome

Regards

Bill

• Like 41

Well seeing as this was a disposable glider, the rough painted stripes make sense. Why bother doing a perfect paint job on something that's never coming back?

What kit did you use for this? You've done a great job on it.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Well seeing as this was a disposable glider, the rough painted stripes make sense. Why bother doing a perfect paint job on something that's never coming back?

What kit did you use for this? You've done a great job on it.

Chris

This was the Revell /Italieri kit from 1976

Thanks for the Positives

Bill

• Like 1

My first Horsa kit had a slight flaw on one fuselage half. On examination and a bit of picking, it ended up being layers of delaminated plastic larger than a quarter. I binned it and bought another. It looks okay.

Chris

Not hardly my favorite Waco, but a real fine build, Bill!

Regarding the stripes, most were applied in a hurry, many in the dark. German recon planes (should any dare fly over by 1944) weren't supposed to see anything that looked like last-minute preparations for an invasion, & this was all done at the last minute, so nice straight stripes with sharp edges would be the least authentic way to portray them. There was a lot of variation in stripe widths & coverage was pretty slap-dash too.

Cheers, -Lars

• Like 1

Nice job on the CG-4A.  I don't think it is an easy build. 

I tried a different method to get an irregular look to the stripes, which I think is a challenge in 1/72.  I placed monofilament under the tape and also wrapped the edge of the tape around the monofilament, and sprayed the areas. 0261cg4a.jpg

Edited by jeaton01
  • Like 1

Looking for illustration how rough in fact was painting for D-Day strips on Waco gliders I 've bumped on interesting case - D-Day stripes and old style star without bars!

normandy.jpg

Some other cases (not too much of them - Horsas are much often seen)

USA-A-Utah-p21b.jpg

waco-cg-4-hadrian-glider-438th-tcg-passe

So I would name that they were painted "good enough for government work"   :)

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

Great Photos

Thanks...I used Tape for proper width and then used chipping fluid along tape edges. Will do same for Horsa, I liked the end result.

Cheers

Bill