Douglas Dauntless.Academy 1/48.

stevej60

Hi folk's.My build for this GB is Academy's re-boxing of the Accurate Minitures kit which has to be said is a beauty.The kit was a Christmas present from my Mother

in Law who sadly passed away less than two week's later so a bit of extra impetus for the build

These aircraft were involved in all the major action's of the Pacific war including being

involved in the sinking of most of the Japanese carrier's at Midway and the Philippine sea.Box art for now,

Dakota_C.III_233_Sqn_RAF_returning_from_Normandy_1944

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 14

welcome along Steve with one of the more famous ship killers of the Pacific war. I was wondering which would show up first one of these or an Avenger.

I didn't know it was a re-boxing of the Accurate Miniatures model, they do/did turn out some really nice models in that scale.

You're spoilt for choices with schemes to chose from, any ideas yet?

Good luck with the build and a nice way to remember your mother-in-law, look forward to seeing it in the gallery.

• Like 1

Thank's Rich,my first choice and possible next entry was an Airfix Blenhiem nightfighter in 1/48 but thought this would be a nice tribute.The

three schemes supplied are all similar for the same battle  as shown on the box.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A worthy subject choice Steve. A nice kit of a type that was, as you say, ubiquitous throughout the Pacific campaign and also carries significant pesonal meaning.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Col. said:

A worthy subject choice Steve. A nice kit of a type that was, as you say, ubiquitous throughout the Pacific campaign and also carries significant pesonal meaning.

Cheer's Col,cut plastic last night so hopefully a photo or two over the weekend.

Hi Folk's here's the progress made over the last week,as you can see you are given a superb cockpit to work with, after drybrushing the paintwork

I glossed and put a wash in which is more than I usually do but worth it,next job is assemble the rear gunner's seat/cradle and button up the 

fuselage halves.

20190324_171157

• Like 7

WOW!! that cockpit looks amazing Steve, super busy looking and that's straight out of the box!

Those Accurate Miniatures models were so nice, pity they sort of faded away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trickyrich said:

WOW!! that cockpit looks amazing Steve, super busy looking and that's straight out of the box!

Those Accurate Miniatures models were so nice, pity they sort of faded away.

Many thank's Rich,it's suprising how many are surfacing now with Academy and Italerie the great shame is that the company folded with only a 

handfull of kit's released.

Steve, IIRC the gunners seat is quite tricky to install, other than that the dive brakes are a bit tricky to install in the closed position.  You will need to dry fit them and shim them a bit. Great start , am watching this with great interest.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Many thank's Rich,it's suprising how many are surfacing now with Academy and Italerie the great shame is that the company folded with only a 

handfull of kit's released.

I know, there's a couple I wouldn't mind building sometime, any of the B-25's would be nice. I've built their TBF-1C Avenger, what a lovely model it was to build!

• Like 2