1/72 - Gates U-36A Learjet & Learjet 35 by SOVA-M - U-36A, Learjet 35/A/36A & C-21B released

Homebee

I have their HU-16B Albatross kit.  It is moulded in grey plastic with nice recessed panel lines and good detailing, 

Dry-fitting the parts shows that I will need some putty and sandpaper to get everything to fit.

It is a good quality short-run kit that will need some old fashioned modelling skills to assemble.

• Thanks 1

On 02/03/2023 at 18:42, LN-KEH said:

I have their HU-16B Albatross kit.  It is moulded in grey plastic with nice recessed panel lines and good detailing, 

Dry-fitting the parts shows that I will need some putty and sandpaper to get everything to fit.

It is a good quality short-run kit that will need some old fashioned modelling skills to assemble.

Thanks for the response. I have absolutely no problem with having to put in extra work to make it look good. Just glad to hear it’s not one of those kits that’s beyond help. I guess I’ll also have to pick up their T-1 Jayhawk once it’s released too. 🙂

Edited by cf18hornet

6 minutes ago, cf18hornet said:

Thanks for the response. I have absolutely no problem with having to put in extra work to make it look good. Just glad to hear it’s not one of those kits that’s beyond help. I guess I’ll also have to pick up their T-1 Jayhawks once it’s released too. 🙂

I have built the Sova-M PC-12 with a G550 and Lear 60x started. The Sova-M kits are reboxed Amodel kits with extras such as etch, masks, and additional sprues for the mission-specific parts. The major parts do not have locating pins or tabs and each part needs some sort of squaring up to give flat mating surfaces. They do build to a nice model with some TLC.

13 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I have built the Sova-M PC-12 with a G550 and Lear 60x started. The Sova-M kits are reboxed Amodel kits with extras such as etch, masks, and additional sprues for the mission-specific parts. The major parts do not have locating pins or tabs and each part needs some sort of squaring up to give flat mating surfaces. They do build to a nice model with some TLC.

Thanks Romeo Alpha Yankee. Glad to hear you have positive things to say about them too. How are the decals?

7 hours ago, cf18hornet said:

what is the quality of these kits like

Sova-M is the same as A-Model and A&A, often just with different packaging.  A Model is usually quite accurate, but you might need to make some shape adjustments, and unless you're a subject-matter expert, you'll probably never remark on them.  Build quality is such that you need to check the fit constantly, sand the joints as necessary, and exercise great care.  Take your time.  The mold quality, especially with smaller parts, can be iffy, and the numerous tiny bits are a little crude and often misshapen, but they've greatly improved over time.  There are usually no alignment pegs, which is fine because they would probably throw you off anyway.  Clear parts are usually quite good.  I recommend them for very experienced modelers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Sova-M is the same as A-Model and A&A, often just with different packaging.  A Model is usually quite accurate, but you might need to make some shape adjustments, and unless you're a subject-matter expert, you'll probably never remark on them.  Build quality is such that you need to check the fit constantly, sand the joints as necessary, and exercise great care.  Take your time.  The mold quality, especially with smaller parts, can be iffy, and the numerous tiny bits are a little crude and often misshapen, but they've greatly improved over time.  There are usually no alignment pegs, which is fine because they would probably throw you off anyway.  Clear parts are usually quite good.  I recommend them for very experienced modelers.

Great. Thank you. I have plenty of experience so this shouldn’t be an issue. 🙂

On 3/3/2023 at 12:08 PM, cf18hornet said:

what is the quality of these kits like

I've built an earlier boxing of the Learjet (the SOVA-M JMSDF boxing). I liked it. It's short run, some modelling skills required and I seem to recall having to make a few small adjustments to get the cockpit to fit, but nice overall. Decals worked well and I was very happy with the result.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2023 at 08:23, zebra said:

I've built an earlier boxing of the Learjet (the SOVA-M JMSDF boxing). I liked it. It's short run, some modelling skills required and I seem to recall having to make a few small adjustments to get the cockpit to fit, but nice overall. Decals worked well and I was very happy with the result.

Thanks Zebra. I appreciate your feedback. 

Mark

Edited by cf18hornet

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - Gates U-36A Learjet & Learjet 35 by SOVA-M - U-36A, Learjet 35/A/36A & C-21B released

Released - ref. 72049 - Gates Learjet-36A with experimental radar pod - in GFD service

Source:

https://ua-hobby.com/products/1-72-learjet-36a-sova-m-svm-72049

https://www.modelsvit-eshop.modelsvit-shop.com/en/c/aviation-1/learjet-36a-with-experradar-pod-199

f64c2ad51fb252a3df690601ba17da15.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 5 weeks later...