Hunter F6, 74 Squadron - Airfix 1/48

It's a long time since I started a model on the day that I bought it (or in this case, the day that it arrived) but so it was with the Hunter.  It was a pleasure to build, needed no filler at all and is from the box. Apart from the 'back to the fifties' nosewheel I can't think of any real improvements.  I'm happy with the detail in the cockpit, I don't like my planes to be suffering from hydraulic failure so like the flaps tucked away, and although a gun pack might have been a 'nice to have' I probably wouldn't have used it.  I wanted a standard day fighter scheme so went for Xtradecal's 74 Squadrom markings.  It's brushed with Humbrol paint.  Thanks for looking!

ZuDSe5x5_o.jpg

ufZmASqF_o.jpg

YuejoRxf_o.jpg

• Like 34

Very smart, not over weathered like a well looked after machine should be at that time. Agreed about the nosewheel and gun pack and why would you leave the flap down as a pilot that was a round for everyone in the mess.

Like you I was building within an hour of buying one. Great feeling.

• Like 2

Nice neat build Bryan - looks a great kit. I must get on and start mine.

Just one thing which has been pointed out a few times on here but there was no frame at the rear of the canopy on the Hunter.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 2

Thanks for the comments and 'likes'. 

Interesting re the rear of the canopy and the lack of a frame - I should have had a closer look at some photos!  Although there's what seems to be a frame, it's never painted.  Some nice photos now on the Cold War page suggesting it's possibly a pressure seal - thanks for posting.

36 minutes ago, bryanm said:

Thanks for the comments and 'likes'. 

Interesting re the rear of the canopy and the lack of a frame - I should have had a closer look at some photos!  Although there's what seems to be a frame, it's never painted.  Some nice photos now on the Cold War page suggesting it's possibly a pressure seal - thanks for posting.

Yes there is a grove in the canopy which lines up with a seal on the fuselage. Though it can look very much like a frame when the canopy is closed.

This is a good shot from our GA.11 walkaround which shows it;

Hunter-0125.JPG&key=6220d9059c4268e86cae

Does not detract from a good looking model tho.

Julien

• Like 1