+++++Miles Martinet TT1 -FINISHED+++++

I'm going to start with these two challenging ones. 

resized_8dd79642-3e6e-4fb6-824a-d34c5f44

The Martinet already has had the resin parts cleaned and some paint on. I've added the white paint to the underside as a starter undercoat for the yellow. Here's the sprue shot and although some paint on nothing clipped off or assembled, so well within the 25% rule. 

resized_ba18fc48-35d1-40c6-9116-b9443d81

Nice transfer sheet and a fair amount of resin but not too much and thankfully two vac canopies. 

resized_7fb6fcb5-f57f-42df-81bc-ff484981

This is the version I'll be doing, 772 Squadron NAS in South India near the end of the war. Thankfully there is also a nice paint guide for the 'stripy' underside. 

resized_ca27fe8b-9232-4f33-a8e9-488b1149

Edited by 825
  • Like 10

White undercoat on lower sides finished. Doesn't have to be perfect. 

resized_e104e8dc-e546-490f-bb8e-5c44462f

You can see the level of flash on the wing here. The plan is to start the painting off on the sprue, clean up, repaint and hopefully join the upper and lower wings together and get a clean demarcation. I'm rubbish at masking leading edges, that's why I like the wrap round on later FAA jets, so straightforward to mask. 

resized_ca67d468-e08f-423e-a55c-ba8e3882

Here's the first layer layer of yellow. The upper wings have been started in Gloss black which makes a good undercoat for a painted Aluminium finish. 

resized_9345911b-2bb9-493b-9612-f0ace1a0

• Like 5

On 3/18/2019 at 4:14 PM, Rob G said:

A seldom seen type, and off to a great start. Here's to a successful and drama-free build!

Afraid it's not quite drama free, Rob. Loads of flash, too much resin for my liking and some fit issues. I've made some progress though. Here's the lower wing removed from the sprue and the flash cleaned off, with the undercarriage well inserts fitted. The cowling has also been assembled and tidied up. The fuselage halves also tidied up. 

resized_3e558138-2170-4974-870a-1f5c8fa3

For comparison, the Martinet is tiny compared with the Vengeance target tug. 

resized_1db9449c-13ae-4ca0-8140-6e660e8a

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, 825 said:

Afraid it's not quite drama free, Rob. Loads of flash, too much resin for my liking and some fit issues.

Pah, that there's just modelling, not drama. Not 'zactly, really. Oi remembers when Oi were lad, we had to design and build a real airplane first afore we could make a model o'it, then we' ad to walk 12 mile t'obby shop, in snow and uphill both ways while whittlin' the shapes that we were goin' t' buy...

<cough> You seem to be overcoming all and making progress. Well done that man!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rob G said:

Pah, that there's just modelling, not drama. Not 'zactly, really. Oi remembers when Oi were lad, we had to design and build a real airplane first afore we could make a model o'it, then we' ad to walk 12 mile t'obby shop, in snow and uphill both ways while whittlin' the shapes that we were goin' t' buy...

<cough> You seem to be overcoming all and making progress. Well done that man!

Life was tough in them days wazn't it? Mind you its coming along fine but Tamigawa it ain't. It's not even close to Airfix or Italeri. 

• Like 2

Cockpit interior installed, despite all the bits it looks a bit bare. 

resized_96013071-7f83-4aa8-8bf8-83b310c4

And the fuselage closed up. Fitted OK but will need a fair amount of tidying up. 

resized_fb978827-8c54-4073-85ae-d84d4c35

• Like 4

Great progress 825

I built the Donetsk Toy Factory version of the Vengeance a while back it's a big sod, bit like a 2 seater Thunderbolt !

IMG_4173

I look forward to the next instalment 

cheers Pat

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great progress 825

I built the Donetsk Toy Factory version of the Vengeance a while back it's a big sod, bit like a 2 seater Thunderbolt !

IMG_4173

I look forward to the next instalment 

cheers Pat

You're right Pat, the Vengeance is a real beast, even in its relatively benign target tug role. I'm doing a Martinet target tug alongside this build and it's tiny by comparison. 

now time to get some filler on and get the fuselage complete. 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, 825 said:

You're right Pat, the Vengeance is a real beast, even in its relatively benign target tug role. I'm doing a Martinet target tug alongside this build and it's tiny by comparison. 

Looks a little like a salmon swimming next to a whale :lol: 

• Like 1

As Rob says above this build is real modelling. The fuselage has been closed up and cleaned up, giving quite a neat join. Then the resin seats fell out, and the small section of the front lower fuselage came apart. The lower wing joint needed a fair amount of fettling, including considerable thining of the rear part of the centre section. Eventually the wing fitted well, although a little filling may be required at the front. Then the upper front fuselage in front of the cockpit split. Everything tidied up and glued and this is where we are. 

resized_1a6e6566-5ac3-40a5-a256-512439c6

• Like 4

Next stage while the fuselage, wing joint is being tidied up is the deal with the engine and props. But first the prop blades need a bit of work. 

resized_b18291b9-6fdf-4a72-96e7-25a85706

The depressions are only on one side and I've already filled them with Putty. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of little things done,  tidied up and drilled out the exhausts, tidied up the undercarriage parts and removed the resin parts from the blocks. 

Big job was to assemble the engine, cowling and breather tubes, then attach to the fuselage. 

resized_65d9bb0e-6007-40e5-a36a-373fe4e6

Engine isnt isn't perfect but I'll take the advice of someone else d not take photographs from the front. 

resized_ae6ac308-8ae0-47c4-b41a-7258a053

Little bits popped into into a little bag to prevent loss. 

resized_3b29ca02-90ab-4abe-a2a6-0c443a99

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Before masking off the lower wings for the black stripes, I thought I would check out the wing fit. It's pretty awful. After careful sanding I've got one side almost OK. The other though is a total mishmash. Mind you the wing root join is pretty well ok. Once a bit of force is applied. The just don't fit anywhere else. 

resized_6b7a6832-c868-4536-aab8-1ddc6481

The upper wing is several mm longer than the lower wing. 

resized_403225e3-2a78-46e4-bc59-246b0d85

Ive tried to see where the mis matches are but it's challenging. The root end of the wing after light sanding is an almost perfect fit on the root but the dihedral change is miles off.  However the airleons seem to be at the same place. Therefore removing much from either end will cause problems elsewhere. Pause now for a bit of thinking. 

Still haven't worked out how to deal with the starboard wing so any thoughts BMers would be welcome. However, I've masked and painted the black strips under the wings. I've never done this before and always been a bit wary. However, the masking was less traumatic than expected as the were straight lines. 

resized_d60c3291-9e47-484d-b046-ef7c56d2

Proof of the pudding will be when the tape comes off. 

• Like 2

Tape off and not looking too bad. An hour's work touching up needed but pleased with the result. 

resized_a54388b8-c82a-47dc-a356-7bbcf005

I'm not sure whether to touch up now or do the fuselage strips as there may be some final touching up needed there too. 

Edited by 825
  • Like 3

Looking good, interior is indeed a bit sparce considering the extra's...

With regards to the wing fit, that's why I don't like painting first...

Edited by Silenoz

Touching up on wings done, and the rest of the underside painted. There is a little yellow touching up being done and next step is to deal with the upper wings. 

resized_79091f0f-fc45-4d22-8832-2e21a547

• Like 4

Upper wings on. Did need a bit of trimming and sanding beforehand, and will need filling once dried. Fit was better than expected, though to be fair expectations were very low. There was a fair amount of glue applied along with subtlety and brute force. I thinned down the trailing edges but they're still too thick. Overall the wings look a bit thick, but I will live with that. 

resized_da30ce85-f8f0-440a-a122-13abe072

The leading edge could be better but I'll live with it. 

resized_4149b182-c9dd-4c1f-ad9c-b936060a

Edited by 825
  • Like 3

Airframe pretty well complete,masking done and an undercoat of Gloss black on. I find that Gloss black makes a good undercoat for flow Improver thinned Aluminium paint for brush painted aluminium surfaces. 

resized_f1ce3ee8-0939-4155-b51f-5e2ea0c2

• Like 2