1/48 Beaufighter question

jenko

I'm in the process of building the Revell 1/48 Beaufighter .

On some models there is a camera on top of the fuselage just aft of the cockpit. Looks like an air intake.

Does any one make an aftermarket version of this ??

Both Revell and Tamiya do not include one in their kits

Thanks for your help

Dick

Thanks Bob. I suspect it will be in a later boxing from Revell.

For the record the Revell kit is a challenge to say the least.

Dick

Fit problems ….wings to fuselage. Over engineered . Shape issues around spine fillet.

That's only for starters. :jump_fire:

For the price I would take the Tamiya kit. :D

Less money goes in to the swear box while building !!!! 

Dick

Recently I've been getting addicted to good YouTube videos of models being constructed. This is one of the Revell Beaufighter and it looks like a straightforward build to me. I have one in my stash and I'm looking forward to building it some day :)

10 hours ago, elger said:

I'm looking forward to building it some day :)

If you are as adept as the Revell guy in that video you should be able to manage a top-class job in a couple of hours!

I'd probably use a razor saw on some of the parts rather than side cutters but otherwise it's a nice tutorial on building. Note the lack of overspray on those latex surgical gloves - nice!

Dick I think that the camera mountings were simply converted perspex domes,... you could sand it flat at the front and drill a hole in it,..... that would be doing what was done on the original. 

I agree with this kit being hard to build,..... the wings actually cut my fingers they were so sharp, but my main problem was with the engine nacelles,...... the whole kit is over engineered and the u/c is a pain in the backside!

However,.... when it is finished it looks more like a Beaufighter than the Tamiya kit,....... the latter has an over tall cockpit canopy because the fuselage spine continues to rise upwards from the Observers blister,....... instead of being flat. This small error throws the Tamiya kit out,....... but Revell got it right.

Here is my Revell Beau;

resized_f6bf4253-f9ec-461a-a87a-0dc3e3d9

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 5

All I could find in my refs that might be of any use is this from Monografie Lotnicze No. 74.

858de8df-93b4-4633-9b3a-6f39e9f3e62f.jpg

6eb1e4d5-6979-4654-90fa-46bc9c6df24b.jpg

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a good top view drawing.

Chris

• Like 1

Well, now you've done it.  I took out my frustration on the internet (searching, not venting!) and found a source for a reasonable price, so one Revell Beau ordered.  I nearly ordered two, but decided to be "reasonable".  Fool.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

If you are as adept as the Revell guy in that video you should be able to manage a top-class job in a couple of hours!

I'd probably use a razor saw on some of the parts rather than side cutters but otherwise it's a nice tutorial on building. Note the lack of overspray on those latex surgical gloves - nice!

I'm convinced that one reason these videos are so addictive is that especially if you watch them on a laptop on your lap your brain is tricked into thinking that you're doing the building :)

• Like 1