Disaster!!

Just as I was on the home straight and applying the final coat of Tamiya semi gloss clear this happened!  Never happened before and I am at a loss as to why.

Black paint was from Xtracrylix, then a coat of klear after the decals were applied. Then lastly  a coat of Tamiya semi gloss thinned with Tamiya thinners.  Bang, white marks all over the model.

Any ideas please?  Those of a sensitive disposition may want to look away :(

IMG_20190311_202541_zpsbi8s09bw.jpg 

IMG_20190311_202600_zpsnlpyelsa.jpg

• Sad 9

Not experienced this personally but looks like the Tamiya Thinners may have reacted with the Klear

I personally only ever use Humbrol Acrylic rattle cans for the final varnish coats, I know that doesn't help here but might be worth trying next time round.

Don't bin the kit though. Rub it back and have another go at it, I've got a couple of spare Revell GR.1 decals sheets if you want one.

Eng

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has it affected the black paint, or is it like a "dust" you can rub off? 

I had a similar thing on a Ford Model T recently, and had not used klear or such - just tamiya clear over tamiya paints - most of the "frosting" wiped off when dry. Most, I should emphasise, not all. And yours looks "worse", if you see what I mean.. 

M

It looks like you probably didn't mix the Tamiya semi gloss properly. It looks like the flat compound is too much.

I would try to re-spray a Clear coat and see if it returns to previous state. and than try the semi-gloss again. 

• Like 2

In Australia this wonderful effect is called 'blooming'.  An EXsPERT has told me it is caused by  a sudden change of temperature or humidity and or high humidity. This has happened to me recently when I sprayed a coat of clear gloss on a completed model, I sprayed on a bright sunny day but the humidity was very high,

Solution:  Swear, Swear, Swear and repaint or build another model.

You could talk to a auto painter (that's where my expert came from).

My 2 cents worth.

Stephen

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If it's any consolation, those decal markings come in Italeri's Tornado "Special Colors" kit:

https://www.italeri.com/uploads/products/1336_profiliLR.jpg

https://www.italeri.com/en/prodotto/2243

So you could just use this 'frosted' kit as a paint mule and build another Tornado or find someone who will donate those decals to you while you sand/strip the frost away from this one.

My advise would be to use paint/clear from the same brand (eg Tamiya black paint followed by Tamiya Gloss -> decals on -> Tamiya SemiGloss). 

• Like 1

I had that on my first, of the present era, Wessex HC2

I was spraying a matt coat overall when the dark NATO Gren undersides went grey overall and induced panic

I did get rid of mine by stiffbrushing Klear into the scummy surface eventually, it seems to be induced by using dis-similar products If there is a noticeable change in temperature or humidity.

The reglossing route is worth a try before you do anything drastic

Looks like a lovely Tonka inside there

- I would follow armouredSprue solution, but if this doesn't work , I'm afraid the only solution will be to strip  of paint the whole thing to bare plastic ,buy new decal  and paint it again.....

-Just an idea ,for my models I don't use dedicated varnishes for long now, but artist painters arcrylics varnishes like Pebeo for instance.  They are far cheaper and in far larger rattle can than modelling dedicated products.

10 hours ago, Papa Delta said:

Spray it with clear gloss. I had this happen before. Somehow the clear finish frosted on me. Someone told me to try it and it worked.

Well I gave the underside a blast with some rattle can Halford gloss clear varnish and....................... Hey presto the frosting completely disappeared! Thanks for the tips guys 👍. Managed to destroy a few decals when it first happened and tried washing it in a blind panic, but I think I can replace most from the stash. Sighs of relief all round 😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Matt P said:

Well I gave the underside a blast with some rattle can Halford gloss clear varnish and....................... Hey presto the frosting completely disappeared! Thanks for the tips guys 👍. Managed to destroy a few decals when it first happened and tried washing it in a blind panic, but I think I can replace most from the stash. Sighs of relief all round 😁

Whew!!! Good save.

It's the same effect that occasionally happens when applying setting solutions over an acrylic clear coat. It's seriously horrifying the first time it happens...but as you discovered, the fix is fairly simple.

Happy for your 'save'!

Wow, sounds like you may have solved it, well done. I had a similar "disaster" a few months ago when some well tried and trusted "washes" for weathering, acted completely out of character. Took a while and some hard work to rectify.

Modelling has these moments 😨

Terry

13 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

It really does look like frost. Would have loved to have the exact recipe of this disaster!

Me too! I spent ages trying to get a winter finish like this on a tank diorama a while back and never got it this good. 

I don't wish to have a go or insult anyone's choices, but this is why I personally cringe whenever I hear people using floor polish as a modelling varnish.  It may work for many, but to me, it's meant for floors, not models.  Shame it's happened right at the end, but as said above, it gives a good frost effect if were inclined to not fix it :)

1 hour ago, planehazza said:

I don't wish to have a go or insult anyone's choices, but this is why I personally cringe whenever I hear people using floor polish as a modelling varnish.  It may work for many, but to me, it's meant for floors, not models.  Shame it's happened right at the end, but as said above, it gives a good frost effect if were inclined to not fix it :)

It works great on canopies when you have to sand out a seam line, makes the sanding haze completely disappear.

No disrespect meant to your opinion..to which you are justly entitled...but the matter at hand has nothing to do with it being a 'floor finish.' It's a simple chemical reaction related to outgassing and relative humidity, which can happen with any material, acrylic, enamel or lacquer.

They're all just tools. Everyone finds the ones that work best for their own way of doing things.

• Like 2

I used the Humbrol matt varnish rattle can ones on an Spitfire and the paint cracked  completely. I don't knew why but  to avoid such experiences  I nowdays try paints, future and  varnish on an scrapkit before painting the real kit...

/André