Research trouble

Ian R

Hi Folks

I'm currently finishing off an Airfix 1/24 Hurricane and I have decided to use this scheme and I have bought the stencils for this from Montex.

My issue is with the colours of the roundel and fin in this photo.

Hawker-Hurricane-MkI-RAF-601Sqn-UFS-P367 

In my mind the darkest shade would be blue, followed by red and then yellow, so in this image reading from outer ring to inner would be red, yellow, white, blue which is absurd.

Am I missing something? Any experts on lighting in old photos out there? Could this have been a 1940's prank?

The same goes for the fin. It seems the red and blue have been reversed. The image in this link I believe is the same aircraft and the fin colour's are the correct way round.

Hope you can help

In the ideal world the first thing you should know about a photo is the  type of film and the filter on the lens. The time of the day and year are helpful too.  Failing that, you have to assume the roundel and the fin flash are known values and work from there. 

Thanks for your quick replies.

I have seen the previous post about the same scheme and what an incredible job he made of it.

Photography was never my strong point so, again, thanks for your input here.

The Montex stencil kit also shows the colours as they think they should be.....Just wanted to make sure before I finish her off

• Like 1