Thinking of switching paint

Bryan71

Not been modelling very long and been using acrylic paints in my airbrush.Vallejo model air which I didn’t get on with.Tamiya was ok.

Using Mission Model Paints.Which is about the best acrylic I’ve tried.How ever been looking at Mr Paint.Understand that being a lacquer base they are much finer and less prone to the dreaded tip dry.I model 1/35 Military Vehicles.Any advice would be great.Watched Doogs review.

MRP sprays beautifully, you just need to have a very steady hand. They require a different approach, very light coats, slowly building it up. They're very thin so they can pool up easily and if the primer is sensitive it can eat into it. It can also etch into plastic if the coat is too thick. Oh, and they stink to high heaven. Other than that no downsides. Easy to clean after use, they dry rock hard, sandable if needed, no tip dry. 

• Thanks 1

I will always prefer a lacquer paint over any other paint. They provide the thinnest costs and are fast drying. I have always found every acrylic paint to be too thick.

I use Mr Color, another lacquer paint. When used with their Mr Leveling Thinner, this paint produces the best possible finish. Their gloss and semi-gloss paints do not need a clear coat before decals. 

Technique is very important to lacquers. Thin to consistency of 1% milk. Spray at 1 atmosphere. Spray between 0.25 and 2 inches. Light coats to build coverage. Only user a thicker coat for final gloss coat.

Edit: Use a grazing light while painting to ensure paint hits wet. 

Edited by dnl42

I spray lacquers around 1 bar (roughly 15 psi). If you're thinking of switching to lacquers give Mr. Color a try. I actually prefer those to MRP. They're not as aggressive, they're very forgiving (I can flood an area and not worry about it, I know they'll "come back"). I always use the Mr. Leveling Thinner as Mr. Color is really thick and needs a lot of thinning. Not sure if their range covers all your color needs, but you can just get a few bottles of Mr. Color and a few of MRP and give them a try, see what suits your needs better.