Tamiya Castrol Celica GT-Four 93 Monte Carlo Rally

andyh

So I thought I needed to challenge myself next and start something that had plenty of decals, so thought this Celica would be a good start:

46627985324_52f87acef2_z.jpg

46436103295_e85d4f6f9d_z.jpg

40385765823_515d87a313_z.jpg46627979684_757e9552a7_z.jpg

46436095045_4ae2fd520f_z.jpg

And so to one of the bits I wasnt looking forward to....spraying the body. I only use automotive rattle cans so picked up a tin of Toyota White, warmed it up and once I had primed the body I gave it a couple of coats, and must admit I am pretty pleased with the outcome.

46436092335_ac0ca1da4c_z.jpg

And now to the bit I am not looking forward tp, painting black around the windows etc...but I cant wait to start on the decals.

• Like 4

The interior looks great, and you have that white down nice and shiny. This should come out alright I reckon! You could do the window surrounds with an acrylic marker, like Molotov's black. 

• Like 1

Well you've certainly made a good start so far. The quality of your decalling to the interior certainly bodes well for the exterior when you get to it.

If I could wade into the window rubber debate, I'm an advocate of masking around then painting the rubbers. I don't have anything like a steady enough hand to consistently produce a neat rubber (apologies for this sounding like a bad Carry On film...) but instead I use the Tamiya 2mm tape to get the edge. If you burnish the edge down with a cocktail stick, you can minimise the paint which creeps underneath the tape, and if you use acrylic paint you can usually remove the extra paint quite easily with the aforementioned cocktail stick dipped in water. Hopefully it doesn't need saying that this method isn't suitable if you've already decalled the car, and as I proved last weekend on the Charger even if you've sealed the decals with clearcoat there is still a risk of lifting the decal if things go wrong

• Like 3

Looking good so far . What variety of paint have you used for the sump guard ? I always struggle to get a Kevlar coloured paint . The body decals should go on easily enough , because they aren't one solid piece so should smooth down well . I built this kit when it was first released , so it's a nice trip back down memory lane when old kits are featured on here . 

Gary . 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

Looking good so far . What variety of paint have you used for the sump guard ? I always struggle to get a Kevlar coloured paint . The body decals should go on easily enough , because they aren't one solid piece so should smooth down well . I built this kit when it was first released , so it's a nice trip back down memory lane when old kits are featured on here . 

Gary . 

Hi Gary,

Many thanks.

I just used Tamiya acrylics, and mixed 2 colours as suggested in the instructions.

• Like 1