North American P-51D Mustang

Hi Everybody, this was one of 'Aldi's' pre Christmas bargains. I purchased it thinking I was buying a Mustang flown by the 'Tuskeegee' Airmen only to find the decals were nothing like those shown on the box art or building instructions. After a bit of research I discovered the decals were those belonging to the retooled mustang this due for release this January. Spotting an opportunity I went back to Aldi and purchased another, I then complained to Airfix that the decals were incorrect and they sent out the correct set.

So for the price of one model I will be able to build 'Rose Marie' and 'Lollipoop'

This is my first attempt at metal finished aircraft, I black based it and used Tamiya Flat Aluminium, Flat Blue and Flat Red. I then finished it off using Tamiya Semi Gloss Clear.

IMG-4454.jpg

IMG-4455.jpg

IMG-4462.jpg

IMG-4456.jpg

IMG-4466.jpg

IMG-4465.jpg

IMG-4458.jpg

IMG-4467.jpg

I'm not too displeased with the finished result with it being my first  metal finish, but I do have to improve my canopy masking. I have tried all the recommended methods but I cannot achieve the crisp lines I see on here time and time again.

Thanks for looking all comments and criticisms are welcome, thanks for looking. 

• Like 28

Nice result - NMF is tricky as hell but your first effort came out great. Re. the canopies - I was having the same trouble and it's very difficult to use the prescribed methods at this scale - especially with some of these airfix canopies - near damn impossible. An easy fix is to get some pre cut masks - they can be pricey (sometimes as expensive as the kit!) but well worth it in my opinion - you get a good result every time. Huge time saver as well. 

Nice build and fuselage finish!

Those airbrushed darker streaks over the wing 'panel joints' seem to be some sort of misguided fashion these days – pure imagination. Besides, the wings of P-51s had the joints puttied, sanded down and painted with aluminium lacquer…

Good work overall!

Kind regards,

Joachim