VW type 2 pick up custom build FINISHED & in RFI

Today I got the filler on the rear doors rubbed down and that part is almost done now. I need to make hinges & scribe panel lines.

Later I used some more plastic card (two layers) and filled up the hole in the roof.

I gave the glue a couple of hours to dry and then hit the roof with filler in a similar fashion to what I'd done on the doors.

I also made a silencer (muffler) from spares box bits and chose a few bits of chrome to decorate the finished product.

Thanks for looking in,

Pete

• Like 2

Today I got the filler on the rear doors rubbed down and that part is almost done now. I need to make hinges & scribe panel lines.

Later I used some more plastic card (two layers) and filled up the hole in the roof.

I gave the glue a couple of hours to dry and then hit the roof with filler in a similar fashion to what I'd done on the doors.

I also made a silencer (muffler) from spares box bits and chose a few bits of chrome to decorate the finished product.

Watercolour sketches and a study in oils or it didn't happen.

• Haha 1

Hi Pete!

I don't know, I wander off for a few days and look what happens!

The speed You work at You should'nt need glue, the styrene should fuse together!!  :lol:

Great work!

Keep Sticking!

Cheers,   Pete

• Thanks 1

I got some bench time this morning and the shell is now in primer.

I'll leave it overnight to dry and get a picture then. No doubt it will need some rubbing down though.

Cheers

Pete

Pictures, as promised. And, as I surmised, I need to do some rubbing down. Ah well.

XyRpspQ.jpg

There are visible lines across the roof at the join and the rain gutter needs sorting, but I think I'm getting there.

YrisLkf.jpg

I found this small chrome grill in the car spares box and just couldn't resist. I've not finished with the front yet!

I just didn't want that boring 'seen it a million times' VW look.

pOxBDju.jpg

The new door hinges can be seen here and on the first picture. the lower one has gone wonky!

As I've said, the upper hinges have to stick out to give a parallel hinge line.

I also had to cut down the drop down side panels. That went okay but I need to clean up the cab rear for a better look.

Again on this side the rain channel needs sorting, it was hard to see what was (white) roof and stick on the (white) card strip accurately!

So that's me hitting the wet and dry and micromesh today as I have a bit of spare time (amazingly). Then probably more primer.

Off to bed early tonight. Up at 03:30 for a delivery trip to central London in the morning.

Thanks for watching,

Pete

• Like 6

Well, how's this for progress then?

qf7B1Y1.jpg

That is the topcoat. Tamiya gunship grey. I bought some cheap spraycans a couple of years ago. I thought it was acrylic, but from the smell it certainly isn't!

Still, it's done the job nicely. I'll leave it for a week to harden off and then give it a gentle polish with a soft cloth. I want a semi matt finish on this one.

I think the gunship grey looks rather like something that VW may have used themselves. I did wonder about doing the roof in white but, in the end maybe not.

Ah, so you noticed the seats eh? That's Ferrari red that is. Bright isn't it? The bucket seats are from a long ago scrapped American car. 

The rear seat is from the spares box, Again, ex American car. I added a plastic card back and supports to it.

wpQKTH8.jpg

Here's the other side, just to prove it has one. I had to replace all the rear door hinges in the end.

In a certain light it is just possible to make out the joint in the roof and where the front door handles were.

So it's probably a good job that the mancave is North facing! I'm fairly happy with it as is. 

Next up will be the interior, windows and chassis fit and then it should be finished.

After this I'm back to Sci fi. Thanks for looking in. Comments etc welcome.

Pete

• Like 5

Hey Pete,  your progress is looking real fine. You've did a real good so far. I love the front, the Chevrolet grille give a funny face to the VW, never thought about this before but I love it, can't await to see the result of your journey...

Cheers

Marco F

• Thanks 1

After working this morning (Supplying more of the falling down water to certain bars in Lincoln with stupidly small cellars) 

I got back into the Mancave this afternoon armed with a soft cloth.

The paint polished up nicely into a sheen, just what I wanted, but I noticed a couple of places that I wasn't happy with.

So I swapped the cloth for micromesh, rubbed down the offending areas, and, while I was at it, I slapped a bit more filler

over the areas where the doorhandle recess's once were.

I should get time to rub it down and spray again tomorrow, so then I'll have to wait another week to polish it again!

Good job I have a build in Sci Fi to keep me out of mischief!

Thanks for dropping by, my apologies for lack of progress.

Pete

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 05:00, Pete in Lincs said:

YrisLkf.jpg

I found this small chrome grill in the car spares box and just couldn't resist. I've not finished with the front yet!

I just didn't want that boring 'seen it a million times' VW look.

Now it looks like one of the robots from Futurama!

Nice kit-bash.

Will there be a hover conversion?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Those seats.

Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen doesn't hold a candle to you!

'A canny old modeller named Pete

Produced an extravagant seat,

Then subsequently said

That he only did red

Though we know he was being effete.'

• Haha 2

I finally have some pictures to show of the latest progress.

The top coat is on and polished and I've added a few bits here and there.

lVdKnOa.jpg

A face only a Mother could love? I wanted something other than the standard VW face and I think I got it.

The grill between the headlights is cut down from a larger one and I think it stops the headlights being so bug eyed.

The indicators are now down near the ground instead of being in the top side position of the original.

And the windows got fitted. 

mv9PzI8.jpg

The Ferrari red seats in position. And the ex American car dashboard got the red treatment too.

I just like the contrast between the red and the dull grey.

I need to fit a column change lever as I decided this will have an autobox.

36fT1ES.jpg

I've used Panzer grey instead of black on the Fuchs wheels.

I hope to wrap this one up soon.

Thanks for looking as always.

Pete

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I've used Panzer grey instead of black on the Fuchs wheels.

Fuchs sake the whole thing looks bloody marvellous Pete - that grille particular-like. :clap2:

Is it a hybrid or an EV vehicle? :hmmm:

8 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Is it a hybrid or an EV vehicle?

I think I plumped for a 2.3 ltr petrol, with a 5 speed slushbox. Well, you would, wouldn't you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wowsers! That is coming along nicely, really out there with regards to the front.🤩

You will have to do a double take to ID the van from up front, really cool!👍

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...