A fast Voodoo - RF-101C 56-0119 Record Breaker 1/72

Hi all!

Well, I managed to get as far as finishing the first Voodoo :). It has been a struggle, often through my mistakes, but I think I've wrestled her into something resembling the target machine. The background is in the WIP:

She really was a typical Valom kit in terms of the build - simple on the face of it but with small, subtle aspects to catch you out. I am very pleased with her, though. What did I do/use?. Well:

1. Kit - Valom RF-101C 1/72

2. Aftermarket - a modified Aires F-101B cockpit, Armoury Wheels set (AW72321), Pavla seat.

3. Canopy masks - from Montel (they peeled off!) and NewWAreMasks (MWAM0140)

4. Paints - Humbrol enamels - Metalcote Polish Aluminium (27002), Metacote Steel (27003), variations of the previous two, Satin white (130), Modelmaster International Orange-Red, Matt Black (33), Grey (140), Scarlet (60), Olive Drab (155), Chrome (191) and others. Satincote as a final coat.

5. Decals - Xtradecal National Insignia, Xtradecal Black Lining, Various stencils from Microscale Voodoo sets, Home printed serials etc and badges.

6. Inners of nosewheel doors made from plastic oblong rod.

7. I made (in truth my father made on his lathe) the jet pipe extensions as the Valom kit, like others is lacking in that area.

8. Panel lining and a little "weathering" with Flory dirt, plus a little Tamiya Weathering Powders (Soot)

There's more but I forget!!!! :(

Did I like the kit? Yes, but it needs care and that is why with Voodoo No.2 I got so far and then scrapped it. I built another ;). I have tried to give her a feeling of "use" and therefore she is dirtied to some extent. I hope you like her.

She was a Vietnam machine too, named "The Green Dragon" at one time (Modeldecal  set No.10):

IMG_0915

and now resides in store at the National Air and Space Museum, within their Maryland facility. 

DSX_0559

DSX_0558

DSX_0567

DSX_0554

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 69
  • Thanks 1

Thanks chaps - @FIGHTS ON @billn53 @F-32 @Saddler @Vultures1 @russ c and @Corsairfoxfouruncle

I won't say it is my favourite build because of the challenges it gave me but I'm happy how she turned out. The kit - given that it really is the only option now - isn't too bad at all. It suffers from the usual "short run" type of features but nothing that can't be overcome. The panel lining is good. I have reservations about the shape of the canopy. It looks very slightly overblown to me. When building her I had fears over the PR undercart doors but they were easy in the end. 

Tomorrow it is some of the last tweaks to my B-model Thud and by Friday I hope to have her RFI too :)

Martin

• Like 3

OMG Martin- she's gorgeous! Your best one to date, IMHO! All of the hard work and frustration have really paid off- you should be proud of this one! I hope I can do half as good a job when I get around to my 363rd TRW RF-101C! Well done, M! 👌👍

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

She was a Vietnam machine too, named "The Green Dragon" at one time (Modeldecal  set No.10):

I built her way back when the sheet first came out, using the old Frog RF-101 (Hasegawa I think).

Your Vodoo looks absolutely stunning Martin. I really like the subtle NMF finish. Excellent!

Terry

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

OMG Martin- she's gorgeous! Your best one to date, IMHO! All of the hard work and frustration have really paid off- you should be proud of this one! I hope I can do half as good a job when I get around to my 363rd TRW RF-101C! Well done, M! 👌👍

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm still in a dream over "Mr Toad" but I'm flattered by your comments :). I'm certain that you'll match it eith your build :).

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I built her way back when the sheet first came out, using the old Frog RF-101 (Hasegawa I think).

Your Vodoo looks absolutely stunning Martin. I really like the subtle NMF finish. Excellent!

Terry

I have that set, too. I remember building the Hasegawa back in the 70s and adding a vacform fighter nose. Thanks too for your kind comments, Terry. I'm pleased that you like the NMF finish. It is a combination of buffing with cloth (an old hankerchief ;) ), a 12000 grit pad here and there, some Tamiya oil stain and soot weathering powders and Flory Dirt wash. The base paint was Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium.

1 hour ago, Baldy said:

Very nicely done Voodoo Martin. Great scheme! Not normally my scale but tempting - or a 1/48 version?...Mmmmmmmm

Cheers

Malcolm

Go for it, mate ;). You know you really want to! Thanks for your kind post.

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Beautiful build and finish Martin look's a stunner.

Thanks Steve. She certainly looks the part in the photos :).

1 hour ago, RMCS said:

Oh yes 

:). Thanks mate :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

That's an excellent job from the Valom kit. Thankfully I have a stash of Hasegawa ones, plus injected and resin nose jobs. I must do a recce bird as well.

That canopy looks OK to me, after the flat job that KH produce. Can't wait to see the others finished.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

That's an excellent job from the Valom kit. Thankfully I have a stash of Hasegawa ones, plus injected and resin nose jobs. I must do a recce bird as well.

That canopy looks OK to me, after the flat job that KH produce. Can't wait to see the others finished.

Thanks for that, mate. It is only my second Valom and despite the challenges it ends up as a pretty decent model. Of course I have a few less hairs and the shakes have nearly gone now ;). I'm not aware of the Kittyhawk issues as I shy away from anything other than 1/72. My impression, though, is that it is a good kit. I guess I'm mistaken. 

Yes, I am impatient by nature (hence my aborted Voodoo No.2) and so I'm eager to get the others done. I have four more in the aueue, amost others ;). After the Thud, which Imam also paining over at the finishing stage, I have a Hasgawa F-104 A-model conversion to get done. She is complete now and awaiting the dreaded filler - not much needed, thankfully :).

Martin

• Like 1

I love to see her finished! Congratulations, Martin 🎆

An excellent choice of the markings and painting scheme (and your work, of course!) do their job. Superb weathering and overall build quality.

Cheers! 😎

25 minutes ago, quangster said:

Excellent build, Martin. The NMF is just perfect not overtly shiny. Yours is a nice Voodoo replica. Congrats!

Cheers,

Quang

Thanks Quangster. I'm not an expert by any measure but I try to get to where I am satisfied with the results. ;), I shy away from Alclad and those fumes ;)

5 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

She looks fantastic, even the "make your eye balls bleed" red. :)

Steve.

Hi Steve! I appreciate the comments. ""make your eye balls bleed" red" - just wait until 32438 comes out of the paint shop :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Haha 2

That's gorgeous! I love a Voodoo.

Here's one in the process of renovation I saw in the US. 

WP-20180506-11-41-29-Pro-1.jpg

WP-20180506-11-40-53-Pro-1.jpg

Edited by Neil.C
Added pics.