1:150 Tokyo Harbour Water Bus Himiko

A while ago I saw a photo of an amazing vessel which looked like it should have been in a Gerry Anderson TV show. This thing turned out to be real and is a Water Bus in Tokyo Harbour called the Himoko:

Tokyo_Cruise_Ship_Himiko.jpg

I then discovered that Fujimi in Japan make a kit of it in 1:150 scale, so I just had to order one...

DSC_2368.JPG?m=1645226041

The content of the kit isn't huge, but they do provide a vey complex looking masking sheet for the windows...

DSC_2369.JPG?m=1645226044

DSC_2371.JPG?m=1645226046

DSC_2370.JPG?m=1645226050

What is interesting is they add a couple of extra plastic sprues and include some traditional Japanese buildings as well that might make an interesting little diorama

DSC_2372.JPG?m=1645226048

I think this could be interesting adding some plaster rocks and building a little hillside for the buildings to rest on! First though, lets build a futuristic ferry!

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 12

8 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

That thing looks like it should be cruising the canals or Mars....

Hang on, someone ask the Martian if he's lost his boat 😋

Do you mean the canals or Mars or the canals of Mars?

Confused of Mars 👽

PS: I need one of these kits and I need it now! :frantic:

• Haha 1

I have seen this Kit advertised and wondered how it would Build. With that in mind will enjoy watching your Build of this strange Vessel.....Cheers mark

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

A second Himiko water ferry on Britmodeller!

It will be a third soon There is no way I can keep my tentacles off of this one.

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

Good man... er... whatever... but be warned there is a LOT of masking - I spent a long time on it yesterday evening and got maybe 40% done! I'll post a piccy later...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Good man... er... whatever... but be warned there is a LOT of masking - I spent a long time on it yesterday evening and got maybe 40% done! I'll post a piccy later...

I quite like masking, there's something therapeutic about it.

Disturbed of Mars 👽

I have been doing some research on this vessel pending the arrival of my kit and what I assumed was a collapsible mast turns out to be what is described as a "horizontal mast". Can anyone explain what the point of such an item might be? Why not just attach stuff directly to the superstructure? The height difference can't be much more than about a foot. I'm sure there is a perfectly logical explanation but I can't think of it.

Baffled of Mars 👽

As I mentioned before, I spent about 2-3 hours last night with the initial round of masking and this is how far I had got by the end of the evening

DSC_2383.JPG?m=1645226050

This evening, however saw the completion of this task plus the addition of a multitude of small details such as handles and ladders to the upper surface of the boat as you can see here

DSC_2385.JPG?m=1645226053

One thing I have discovered to my cost is that this transparent plastic does NOT like Revell contacta cement OR Tamiya Extra Thin, my usual choice of glues. You can see the effect its had on the surface texture of the plastic around these ladder rungs, even though I was as careful as possible to avoid too much glue

DSC_2386.JPG?m=1645226056

At the rear of the vessel is a piece that slopes back inboard and there are 4 bulbous protrusions which all needed masking - a very difficult job to do with flat masking tape over a shape that curved in two directions and also the masking tape shapes are a little too large.

DSC_2387.JPG?m=1645226053

I left off two tiny bulbous windows where the masking shapes were just too persnickety so I will hand paint the frames on these two and add them into the rest once its painted. 

DSC_2389.JPG?m=1645226056

Finally, the hull of the boat now its had various bollards, hooks and assoted fittings added, alongside the two retractable antenna that come with optional booms to portray them extended or retracted. There are also two anchors to be added. The two cylinders on the stern of the boat appear to be life rafts.

DSC_2391.JPG?m=1645226061

Tomorrow might see me trying some paint! What I'm tempted to do is give the whole thing a light coat of Klear first. This ought to seal any gaps around the masking tape in an attempt to avoid or at least minimise paint creep. We;ll see how that turns out tomorrow...

On 3/14/2019 at 12:24 AM, Martian Hale said:

I have been doing some research on this vessel pending the arrival of my kit and what I assumed was a collapsible mast turns out to be what is described as a "horizontal mast". Can anyone explain what the point of such an item might be?

By collapsible mast is it referring to the two things that look like spoilers or antenna that stick up in them middle and stern? My guess would be they are collapsible to get under low bridges and if they are radar antenna, allowing them to be extended makes them a more visible (on radar) presence. There is a long pole that goes from just in front of the forward antenna to just above where the pilot sits, but this appears on the model to be a way of powering the windscreen wiper as much as anything else.

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 3

It was the pole like object that I was referring to. I have seen it referred to as a horizontal mast. Hence my confusion.

Martian 👽

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I have been doing some research on this vessel pending the arrival of my kit and what I assumed was a collapsible mast turns out to be what is described as a "horizontal mast". Can anyone explain what the point of such an item might be?

Martian

If you check photos's such as this one you will note two fore mast lights mounted at 90 degrees to each other at the front of your "horizontal" mast, and counterweights at the aft end.

I think the term "horizontal mast" is referring to a 2 position mast in the horizontal position, not a permanent horizontal structure. There doesn't appear to be any means of remote or power operation, and I haven't seen photo's of it in the vertical position, so I'd assume it remains in the horizontal position whilst in normal operating service, but is manually erected for transit in more open water.

• Thanks 1

Hi Martian, if your referring to the horizontal tubular thing over the front its actually the windscreen wiper motor support.

Kallisti, a tip before you paint the interior, some of it is visible through the windows, very noticeable at the front.

I painted the inside white with a black area at the front to represent the cockpit. You can see it in the photo you posted, heres another one.

zLpR80P.jpg

All the best Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for that tip, I wondered about the transparency of the windows and was thinking about painting some sort of pattern inside to represent the fixtures that would be visible - that pic is a great reference for that so cheers!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Thanks for that tip, I wondered about the transparency of the windows and was thinking about painting some sort of pattern inside to represent the fixtures that would be visible - that pic is a great reference for that so cheers!

With that much transparency, I think you should think about fitting seats and stuff...:coat:

Stuart

Hi Stuart the windows are mainly blue tint and not very transparent, with the exception of the main cockpit glazing and some curved side windows, Seats and stuff would generally not be visible, i did contemplate this myself when i built mine and experimented with bits to see how it looked.

All the best Chris

• Like 2