This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Noel Smith

Milton Keynes MODELKRAFT 2019 NEW VENUE

Yes, must admit to having a great day out, it was pleasant going as a punter for a change, no setting the alarm clock at silly o'clock and no mad dash at the end. As Tom says parking was easy and even though I turned up quite late there was still plenty of space available. As for the size of the show, well I thought for a first effort it was very well done and I'm sure if repeated, will only grow in the future. Always nice to meet up with friends from SIGS, clubs, traders/manufacturers and forums. Great to hear that the hospice benefitted well from the event. Good job all round chaps... 

Why are you quoting statistics about other shows? Its not a competition to host the biggest show! Enjoy putting on a good show - you won't be 'the biggest', but that isn't the point, so long as everyone enjoyed themselves then job done!

Personally, I had a good time at the show, much better than previous experiences! The table layout could be improved but this is the first time at this venue and that can easily be fixed in the future - another 6" or so behind the tables and more space around the trader tables as there were several major bottlenecks in a couple of areas while in other parts of the hall there was plenty of empty space. Don't bother with exhibits like cars etc, it just wastes space where you could put some more clubs or traders.

Well done, I'm very pleased that all your efforts have paid off, will definitely be coming again next year!

As Neilh said at post 38 access to the area behind the tables and the space there could have been better: one of our club members and, I am sure there are others, is a wheelchair user and could not access this area so he was stuck out in the gangway whilst taking his turn to man the stand.  Despite the number of clubs and traders on the main floor there still appeared to be plenty of room available to have given everyone better access and more space.  This situation appears to be common to most shows, not just MK, and in many cases the organisers are at the mercy of their venues in terms of space and layout but sooner or later one or more show organisers are going to be on the wrong end of a legal action/compensation claim under the aegis of the Equality Act (other legislation is available).

Posted (edited)

The tables were supposed to be further apart and it was an error in our floorpan. But by the time we had them all laid out and wanted to move them up on Saturday so many clubs and traders had set up it was too late.  It is  an error we will not repeat if we do another show at this venue.

Edited by WarthogMKL

18 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Why are you quoting statistics about other shows? Its not a competition to host the biggest show! Enjoy putting on a good show - you won't be 'the biggest', but that isn't the point, so long as everyone enjoyed themselves then job done!

Trade descriptions as we advertise in the press we are the biggest we have to justify it. 

11 hours ago, WarthogMKL said:

But you aren't the biggest and in all honesty nobody else cares. All people care about is having a good time (for punters) and selling lots of stuff to punters (traders) and both those things seemed to be a success and the charity will get some money at the end of the day - Result! By trying to build up hype that isn't true, you just start looking desperate.

As a member of the MK Club it was good to get some feedback about our show. First time out in a new venue is bound to throw up a few things that can be improved next time around. The criticisms made on this thread have generally been fair and constructive, but I would urge those who made them to also email the MK Club direct!y with same criticisms to ensure the club is aware of tbem. Thanks.

18 hours ago, Kallisti said:

Everyone loves a statistic dont we? plus as a club organising a show its always good to see how you are doing, and let others know. I think if stats are quoted people might use these as a determining factor in whether they will make the trip or not.

Julien

15 hours ago, WarthogMKL said:

The tables were supposed to be further apart and it was an error in our floorpan. But by the time we had them all laid out and wanted to move them up on Saturday so many clubs and traders had set up it was too late.  It is  an error we will not repeat if we do another show at this venue.

First time in that venue I think you did a great job, dont worry about it, learn and move forward.

Great show, better than the previous location even though it only took me 5 mins to get to the old location. Yes there was a couple of space issues to sort out but hey first time so lessons will be learned I dare say. For myself it was great and I even spent money on a couple of models, a book and some accessories. Keep up the good work and looking forward to the next one.

I always enjoy Modelkraft, but this new venue was a huge improvement on Stantonbury. My first outing with the new ANVMSIG and we were happy with our first floor position. Thanks to the organisers for an even better show this year. As you say, a new venue and a few mental notes to make things even better next year. Well done.

7 hours ago, Julien said:

Everyone loves a statistic dont we?

Nah - 47% of us, at most.

I thought the show was cracking and the venue great.  Others have already made my point about table spacing and it’s been taken on board.  You can do nothing about the knackered lift and the very ordinary catering so I’ll not dwell on those.  But I really quite enjoyed Kent’s spot up in the gods, being able to look over the show and spot interesting models and trade stock.  Might ask for that location again next time - and I hope you do hold it there again.

Did not know about the lift, it was working when R2D2 used it as he was a bit stymied by the stairs! 

I had a coffee and a burger and for the grand total of £7 I thought it was ok, TBH could not be bothered walking round to McD

Dont know who organised R2 and the others walking around but adults and especially children seemed to enjoy it. 

5 minutes ago, Julien said:

Did not know about the lift, it was working when R2D2 used it as he was a bit stymied by the stairs! 

Oh no, it was working; it’s just that it seemed to be determined to go up and down just once throughout the whole day.  Maybe it was unhappy at having to work on a Sunday.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, spruecutter96 said:

I don't blame him at all. That would be a huge amount of driving to do over three days (including the haul from Raunds to bonnie Scotland on the Friday). I hope he does well up in Perth. 

Chris. 

Chris, Vince had the Saturday Night  Rush to MK before,  but I'm guessing it was more than a bit  knackering.  I had thought of doing the same.... but not for long, it's a long drive down.  Lets hope MK  choose a date that doesn't clash with the Scottish Nationals  next year...wherever the show is staged.

Hi, Paul.

The good folk of the MK club have aleady said that they plan to use the same venue next year and booking it will depend on an absence of MK Dons home matches for any given weekend, so watch this space....

Chris. 

Posted (edited)

There were one of two remarks about hype show size, stats etc. In the grand scheme of things the club has done remarkably well in getting a venue probably second only to Telford and the Dewar Centre to stage a scale model show!

A few things were noted that could be improved, but that is always the case when using a new venue.

To be positive, a great show venue, easy parking  and the armbands facilitated easy access in and out to use other local facilies.

Maybe the date might have to be moved to get a regular weekend each year out of the football season. Let's see?

All in all it was a really good day out.

Edited by Noel Smith

Posted (edited)

Hi, Noel. 

Please be assured that my comment was not intended as a critiscm of the new show. As a venue, the Marshalls Arena is light-years ahead of the Stantonbury Campus (a venue that wasn't really big enough for the show in recent years, IMHO, particularly given how sullen and unhelpful the staff there were). 

I fully appreciate that any new venue will come with its own "teething problems" and I'm sure that the lessons learnt will be fully implemented for next year's event.  If you've never used a new venue then there are bound to be a few minor issues, which will not be repeated again.  

Cheers.

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

On 4/30/2019 at 8:58 PM, little-cars said:

Chris, Vince had the Saturday Night  Rush to MK before,  but I'm guessing it was more than a bit  knackering.  I had thought of doing the same.... but not for long, it's a long drive down.  Lets hope MK  choose a date that doesn't clash with the Scottish Nationals  next year...wherever the show is staged.

Or get the Scots to choose a date that does not clash with us : )

As has been said  there are a few stages we have to go through before we do another show

1. Club AGM in May, the members have to vote to do a show, bearing in mind a number of key committee members have said they are standing down

2. COST this year the cost of doing the show was over £8000 we need to try and get a good deal from the arena. They would not give any discounts this year despite us raising money for charity 

3. Football Fixtures out late June/ early July, we can not have a show when Dons at home on Saturday or Sunday

4. MOSON Is the show we want to avoid so we can get more visitors from Europe

5. Perths date

BUT the feedback we have had was so good in my view it will be hard not to do it again

These things are always a juggle. For £8000 I would expect a better attitude from the bar staff though. We are not football hooligans fans!

Posted (edited)

Before we get any flak from our Scottish Friends, I am sure that Warthog's remark about moving the Scottish Nationals date was a tongue  in cheek joke. We moved our  MK date from February a few years back and it unfortunately often clashes with Perth, not the other way around!

A lot of decisions have to be made about next year, so we will see how it all pans out.

Edited by Noel Smith

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Noel Smith said:

Before we get any flak from our Scottish Friends, I am sure that Warthog's remark about moving the Scottish Nationals date was a tongue  in cheek joke. We moved our  MK date from February a few years back and it unfortunately often clashes with Perth, not the other way around!

A lot of decisions have to be made about next year, so we will see how it all pans out.

Would the week after the Cosford Show be an option? I appreciate that there a great number of variables to be considered, a lot of which any non-club members will be blissfully unaware of.

I have recently been co-organising the Elstree model-show on the 9th June and just getting a good date for our show has been a mini-saga in itself. The MK show is many times bigger than ours, so I think I have some appreciation of the MK members' efforts, when sorting out such a huge event. 

I wish the MK club all the best. Judging from the visitor numbers on Sunday, their efforts were much appreciated by the punters. Let's face it, modellers are generally a very "particular" type of folk, so there's bound to be a few words of criticsm in the mix. Perhaps it should be considered that for every person who makes a complaint, there are probably 50 vistors who thoroughly enjoyed the show and have no complaints.

Cheers. 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

13 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

These things are always a juggle. For £8000 I would expect a better attitude from the bar staff though. We are not football hooligans fans!

I'm guessing that the bar-staff were less-than-friendly, then? It's a shame, but it only takes one or two poor members of staff to cause some adverse comments...

I had a quick chat with the security-fella on the big shutters first thing Sunday and he was polite, professional and friendly, so we can't tar all members of the arena-staff with the same brush.

Chris. 

17 minutes ago, spruecutter96 said:

Would the week after the Cosford Show be an option? I appreciate that there a great number of variables to be considered, a lot of which any non-club members will be blissfully unaware of.

I have recently been co-organising the Elstree model-show on the 9th June and just getting a good date for our show has been a mini-saga in itself. The MK show is many times bigger than ours, so I think I have some appreciation of the MK members' efforts, when sorting out such a huge event. 

I wish the MK club all the best. Judging from the visitor numbers on Sunday, their efforts were much appreciated by the punters. Let's face it, modellers are generally a very "particular" type of folk, so there's bound to be a few words of criticsm in the mix. Perhaps it should be considered that for every person who makes a complaint, there are probably 50 vistors who thoroughly enjoyed the show and have no complaints.

Cheers. 

Chris. 

3. Football Fixtures out late June/ early July, we can not have a show when Dons at home on Saturday or Sunday

This pretty much dictates the dates of the show, which as WarthogMKL has stated, nothing can be decided until after the fixtures list come out in late June early July so at the moment there's not really much point in anyone discussing dates until we have that information in our possession. The club AGM is in just over 3 weeks, at that point the show will be discussed further. I'm sure the organising committee will already be in the process of dissecting and analysing what worked and what didn't and taking forward any and all comments and suggestions that they have received. As a relatively new club member I thoroughly enjoyed the day, and thought the Arena was a HUGE step up on Stantonbury Campus of previous years (having attended as a punter only for the last 7 or 8 years!). Hats off to the OT for the massive effort put in in the months leading up to the show, and ALL the club members that turned up on the Saturday and Sunday to help with set-up and pack-down. First time I attended a show where I was the other side of the table!