This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Noel Smith

Milton Keynes MODELKRAFT 2019 NEW VENUE

're Asda parking lot.  I think that MK  Dons Stadium / Marshall Arena will have plenty of parking spaces of their own.

If Models for Sale are going all the way to Perth from Raunds in  Northamptonshire instead of MK  just a short run from them it must be worth their while even with the fuel and hotel bills coming out of their profit.. Just a pity that the dates happen to clash!

Reminder! The Milton Keynes Show is this weekend folks! Fantastic new venue, the Marshall Arena, a huge exhibition hall adjacent to MK Done Football ground with loads of parking. With 500 tables for clubs sigs and traders it must be second only to Telford in size! Looks like being a fantastic show with easy access from M1 and A5.

It will the place to be this Saturday! (Scottish viewers may disagree...)

Chris. 

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, Noel Smith said:

're Asda parking lot.  I think that MK  Dons Stadium / Marshall Arena will have plenty of parking spaces of their own.

If Models for Sale are going all the way to Perth from Raunds in  Northamptonshire instead of MK  just a short run from them it must be worth their while even with the fuel and hotel bills coming out of their profit.. Just a pity that the dates happen to clash!

There's about 3500 spaces in the stadium area, with easy access from the stadium to Asda, Ikea, and the MK:One shopping area and all the restaurants. No need to be parking in Asda at all.

Banners are going up on Friday evening advertising to the general public that there is a Model show happening on Sunday, so hopefully get a few extra bodies from the shoppers in and around the area!

7 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Chris. 

Oh dear, I'll be there on Sunday :doh:

7 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Chris. 

Sunday Chris, Your getting over excited😄

Just so there is no confusion to anyone reading this thread, the MK Show is on this coming SUNDAY ONLY.

The Scottish Nats happens to be on same weekend but is a two day show way up in Perth.

It's TOMORROW folks.....Prize open those wallets and purses and dust off the credit/debit cards. You can make your excuses to the bank/wife whatever later on!

Very good show, hugely improved venue compared to the old sports centre.

Even given its floor-space, there was a degree of hype occuring over the size of the show (an observation only - not intended as a critical remark).  

What did anyone else think?

Chris.  

Yes, I'd agree. Nice venue with plenty of free parking, lots of food options locally. Was good to see a few traders new to me and I think getting Copper State Models and Hannants to attend was a coup, but whilst I am grateful to the organisers for getting us in, I did expect a much larger show given the statements beforehand.  Having said that it was a nice friendly atmosphere, plenty to see and buy, and supporting a worthy cause.  Hopefully as the club get used to the venue they can space the tables out a little.  There was not really enough room between the tables for people to sit and man the tables at each side ( to be fair, some of our modelling fraternity are a little larger than others but the space was a bit tight).  Good effort though for a totally new start up venue, and I hope it was a financial success for both the club and the Hospice they were supporting.  I certainly saw plenty of people donating their change from the wristband price to the Charity bucket!

Had a terrific day. Easily accessible venue, plenty of parking.  Refreshments available in-house or a five minute walk to a nearby retail park.  Hopefully the show will remain at this venue and will grow and be more successful. Well done to the organisers.  Plenty of room for expansion in the lall.

Great show. Getting in a breeze with a free kit(!) and magazine.. A little cramped  around some of the tables but managed ok.  Tons to buy. Loved the three kits for a tenner stall - Two Airfix Ansons and a Ford Trimotor from there!   Got lots of other vintage kits too.  Very good and well done MK

Did anyone see the Spitfire pulling some manoeuvres around the stadium at about 3:30? I just happened to go to my car when it arrived. It was great to see and very welcome. I'm guessing that its appearance was unknown to the show's management, as there was no announcement over the PA. 

Chris. 

Really good show: Easy access and egress, I did feel sorry for Mel from S&M as he was stuck behind a veritable 'Berlin Wall' from another trader.

TBH, after the hype, I was expecting it to be bigger, although I didn't manage to get upstairs at all. The classic cars were pretty, but they could have got another two rows of tables in there with ease. No doubt next year will iron out the snags, subject to an analysis of today's show.

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2019 at 7:00 PM, chris57 said:

Sunday Chris, Your getting over excited😄

I am (was) indeed. I can't have been using my thinking head that day (spot the Worzel Gumidge reference...)

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

Posted (edited)

We are listening to feedback.

It was our first time in this venue and there were some areas that had to much space and others too little. 

The amount raised for the hospice is into four figures and we will know the full amount once we know how much is in the hospice buckets.I saw a number of £10 and £20 notes going in so thank you all.

As for size in floor space, we are beaten by Brno and also they have over 1000 entries in the competition and at last show in 2017 they had 39 traders.

We had 43 traders but only 160 entries in the competition. But they have only 8 clubs we had 96 clubs and SIGS so feel that our claim is valid also the number of visitors through the door in MK was more than Brno 2017. And was also more than attended the US Nationals in Phoenix last year over all 4 days if you include the members of clubs and SIGs who came to the show.

We are unsure what will happen in 2020, first, the club has to decide to hold another show at our AGM next month. 

Then we will start talks with the Arena but we will not know dates until the 2019/20 Division 1 football fixture list is announced as we can not hold the show on a weekend when the MK Dons are playing at home.

Edited by WarthogMKL

Speaking from my perspective as Club Sec for IPMS Ipswich we had a great show. We had the largest display we have ever taken to a show.

The venue was large enough, upto date with good facilities. Very easy to get to and very easy to park.

A great day out, the only downer was no breakfast catering (no bacon rolls!)

If you go ahead for 2020 Ipswich will support.

Thx for a good day out.

Julien

Posted (edited)

I too missed the bacon rolls but a McD is a short walk away and a sausage McMuffin filled the gap nicely. In fact the only food I got till about 3PM.

Edited by WarthogMKL

I thought it was a very good show indeed. We (IMPS Kent) were up on the top balcony near the competition area and had a great overview of proceedings. Lots of foot traffic coming by and it seemed exceptionally busy late in the morning.

The venue was very easy to find and parking was a breeze. A huge thanks to the organisers and I hope to see it at the same venue next year - roll on 2020!

17 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Did anyone see the Spitfire pulling some manoeuvres around the stadium at about 3:30? I just happened to go to my car when it arrived. It was great to see and very welcome. I'm guessing that its appearance was unknown to the show's management, as there was no announcement over the PA. 

Chris. 

On my way home I passed numerous  WW II Jeeps, trucks and classic cars of all ages. There was an event just down the road in Bicester called " Sunday Scramble" held on an old bomber airfield so maybe the Spitfire was part of that event?

I had a very enjoyable four hours or so at the show. Easy to park and escape, friendly traders and clubs. Some truly inspirational modelling in comp and on tables generally.

Just gutted I missed Lara Croft 😞.

Same again next year please!

Steve.

A hearty thank you to the MK boys ( and Gals ?? ) for a great day out - superb effort !! - from all at IPMS Gloucester and Cotswold Scale Plastic Modellers