BBC Filming War Of The Worlds in UK

16 hours ago, wombat said:

Oh and are we in for another of those bludgeoned Poirots this Christmas, you know, the ones where he’s an ex-priest and they changed who the murderer was...?

I always said to my friends about these 'Christmas specials' that it would be nice for them to go completely left of field, and do a telling of an Asimov or Arthur C Clarke short story or something like that. But then what do we do with all the period set pieces they have accumulated i guess.

I really enjoyed 'Electric Dreams' - the series based of Phillip K. Dick short stories, it would be good to see this kind of thing expanded to more of the classic scifi-authors. Im surprised no one has done it with HP.Lovecraft yet! 

There is that new TV series adaptation of 'Snowpiercer' that will be dropping soon, although again, how much it will be butchered to suit modern tv production tastes, has yet to be seen.

• Like 1

Not familiar with that. I’m afraid though I’m of the view that if writers want to adapt so far they should just write an original thing.

speaking of discworld I haven’t liked any of the TV attempts. Definitely a case of the pictures being better in your head.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 10:46 PM, cmatthewbacon said:

Trouble with Discworld is that the love people who read the sequence have for it is based on immersing yourself in that world, "getting" the humor, and then seeing how the characters develop and growing with them. It's really hard to choose an entry point for a TV series that will grab an audience, and then they really have to be in for the long haul. Not sure The Colour of Magic would have been my choice... Better The Watch with Philip Glenister as Sam Vimes, the Witches with Maggie Smith as Granny Weatherwax and Judi Dench as Nanny Ogg, the rest of the Moist van Lipwig books continuing with Richard Coyle as Moist, the Death books with Benedict Cumberbatch (it's the voice, right...) or (post-His Dark Materials) the Tiffany Aching series with Dafne Keen as Tiffany...

best,

M.

Agree with you, huge Pratchett fan, read them all a few times, once in the recommended reading order.  But on my first encounter I read the first two books and gave up not particularly liking it.  Then a few years later I got The Night Watch on audio to listen on the plane and that made me give it another try.  The Rincewind books are still my least favourite.

As for the The Watch, like your casting ideas but I fear you are in for one huge disappointment.

https://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/bbc-announces-watch-tv-cast/

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 3

The what? 

Female Vetinari , Cruces and CMOT? 

Okay I like the look of Carrot and I guess Cheery will work, unsure about Angua until they put a blonde wig on her... as for Lady Sybil... what the hell?

<shudder>

Okay back to the books... the first two books (colour of money & light fantastic) are not very good, infact I'd go so far as to say they are pretty awful. There are a handful of good jokes in them (copper armour etc) but at this point he was still trying to TELL jokes, rather than let the comedy come out of the character and situation. It took until Mort for him to really find his writing feet and there are still some misfires after that (Sourcery is a drudge) but once he start on the first Watch book, then he starts to get it right.

I'm with you in that I find the Rincewind books the least enjoyable - except the Lost Continent, just so many good Aussie jokes in that.

• Like 2

Pretty much nailed it there matey. Mort was the first book where the humour was subtlety embedded and drawn out as it progressed. The Watch series is a far more accommodating progression to get into the discworld with other familiar characters from the disc dropping in and out. Much as I like the witches series, again it’s disjointed and is doesn’t nod a head to the rest of the discworld characters and tapestries as well as the watch series does.

• Like 1

Did anyone else find the final episode on Sunday rather tedious? Some of the most boring TV drama I've ever watched. A shame, as I thought the previous episodes were decent telly...

What say ye, my good Lords?

Chris.  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2019 at 8:56 AM, Noel Smith said:

This thread has drifted well away from the actual topic of war of the worlds.

To be fair Noel, so did the BBC TV version... I personally was so disappointed that there was no Thunderchild.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/10/2019 at 10:34 PM, spruecutter96 said:

Did anyone else find the final episode on Sunday rather tedious? Some of the most boring TV drama I've ever watched. A shame, as I thought the previous episodes were decent telly...

What say ye, my good Lords?

Chris.  

I have to agree with that. 

After all the hype and fuss, it all turned out to be a bit MEH!!

No,not impressed at all. First episode was promising but, the second was tedious and the third was so umbelievably dull I struggled to watch it the whole way through.

I'm not going to bother going into all the little plot lines but, suffice to say, I think this was an opportunity wasted. Dull,plodding and uninspiring is basically how I would sum it up

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Me and the better half watched the first 2 episodes after which the Mrs decided she had seen enough and it was only after I realised that there were only 3 episodes that we decided we might as well watch the 3rd one, well, thats an hour of our life that we'll never get back, I think you can definitely say that the BBC literally lost the plot with this one

The only upside being it made me want to download Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds to my Spotify account so that I could listen to it again in the car on my commute, altogether a much better version.

• Like 1

The last episode was confusing. I was so glad I'd recorded it - it meant that I watched the majority of it at double speed, so at least I didn't have to suffer for a whole hour.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2019 at 4:01 PM, Kushan_Farsight said:

I always said to my friends about these 'Christmas specials' that it would be nice for them to go completely left of field, and do a telling of an Asimov or Arthur C Clarke short story or something like that. But then what do we do with all the period set pieces they have accumulated i guess.

It'd be a very brave TV programmer to commission Arthur C. Clarke's story The Star for Christmas viewing.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2019 at 5:53 PM, RACETRACK said:

H.P Lovecraft  is a fave of mine, I'd love to see a faithful  adaptation of The mountains of madness, or A shadow over Innsmouth.

At the Mountains of Madness - yes, let Guillermo del Toro loose on it.

The Shadow Over Innsmouth - yes, with caution. Some of Lovecraft's views on non-WASPs are not acceptable today.

Have you heard the radio adaptations of these two stories on BBC Radio 4/4 Extra (and chopped up into smaller installments on YouTube), narrated by Richard Coyle? Very well done, in my opinion.

16 hours ago, Sidders said:

Yep, was so disappointed with this series.
Last episode I thought Johnny Rico was going to make an appearance any minute! 

Oh well, let’s hope A Christmas Carol adaptation makes up for it...

I'm thinking this is a Starship Troopers reference ....? It's an ugly Bug planet out there.....

Chris.

22 hours ago, Sidders said:

Yep, was so disappointed with this series.
Last episode I thought Johnny Rico was going to make an appearance any minute! 

Oh well, let’s hope A Christmas Carol adaptation makes up for it...

Now, a proper adaptation of "Starship Troopers" would be nice maybe follow up with " The Forever War".

• Like 1

Dazz, you were dead right with your comment about the BBC drifting off topic in wotw as well as this thread!

This thread drifts further into a galaxy far, far away, but the posts make interesting reading none the less.

Happy Christmas

Noel

• Haha 1

just completed the first season of the Fox/StudioCanal version of War Of The Worlds (8 Episodes)

I really enjoyed it. Quite a bleak series, but i personally found this retelling/adaption far more interesting than the beeb one. Some interesting choices i wasn't keen on at first did make sense as the series went on, and i do hope a second season is made that completes the tale.

I was disappointed by WotW, particularly the way the final episode just fizzled out.

His Dark Materials on the other hand just goes from strength to strength which just goes to show that when the Beeb get it right, they get it very right.

I will give A Christmas Carol and Dracula a chance.

I will also give their Discworld adaption a chance too and I am a huge Pratchett fan, I'm open minded enough to accept the casting might not suit our idea of who should play the character, I just hope they capture the essence of the character.

Edited by Wez
speelung
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Nick Belbin said:

Judging by the trailer, I would advise all of you to give it a miss. :fool:

Why? Looks pretty good to me... properly creepy. If I want a wholesome family take on the story I’ll watch the second best(*) Christmas film ever: A Muppet Christmas Carol 

best,

M.

(*) the best one is, of course, Die Hard

• Like 2
  • Haha 1