Designing resin parts ... A naive question!

RidgeRunner

I know this is a naive question but I am intrigued. How are such complex small parts designed for resin reproduction? I continue to be asstounded by the detail produced and woyld love to know how it is acheived. Thanks.

Martin 

Usually scratchbuilding, then bringing the master into a castable form by cutting into manageable pieces. Producing a form, casting.

These days digital manufacuring comes more and more into play but is not able to reach the finest detail levels yet. This way the master would be modelled on a computer, 3d printed, formbuilding, casting.

3 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Usually scratchbuilding, then bringing the master into a castable form by cutting into manageable pieces. Producing a form, casting.

These days digital manufacuring comes more and more into play but is not able to reach the finest detail levels yet. This way the master would be modelled on a computer, 3d printed, formbuilding, casting.

Wow! So the likes of Aires, Pavla, Blackird and many others do it this way?

I do not recognize any of these names (I'm a car guy, sorry), but yes, somehow a master has to be made, and that usually is scratchbuilt buy someone. There's other ways to get moulds for casting, but they are rare. For example the mould could be carved directly, like it was the case with very old plastic kits. AFAIK relief miniatures are done by carving the mould into slate.

• 4 months later...

A bit of post necromancy here, but there goes something that might interest you.

This is how Vincent Kermorgant made his master for MDC 1/32 DB605.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hope you liked it.

Cheers,

S.

Edited by Sebastien
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sebastien said:

This is how Vincent Kermorgant made his master for MDC 1/32 DB605.

...and someone will complain that the finished product is far too expensive for a few pennies' worth of cast resin.

Edited by Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies
Got admin'ed
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

REally nice but really is how they produce smalll resin parts in, for example, 1/72, and in such volumes? 

Small resin part in 1/72 are made the same way : someone with golden fingers, quite a good pair of eyes, not necessarily too much time on their hands, and the urge to make something nice about a plane/train/tank/car/ship they really care about.

Silicon molds can reproduce quite fine details.

Their main problem is durability.

But once you've got a master, you can do molds faster than you wear them out.

Cheers,

S.

1 hour ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

That's it. Every part is cast by hand. Like @Sebastien said - silikon is going to pick up even greasy fingerprints on the master - not kidding! And resin will happily replicate these.

Wow! Hat's off to them, then! :) I'm impressed and will treat these parts with more reverence in the future!

Martin

9 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

That's it. Every part is cast by hand. Like @Sebastien said - silikon is going to pick up even greasy fingerprints on the master - not kidding! And resin will happily replicate these.

And the silicone and resin for making the parts aren't cheap. Especially when ruined by something you just didn't notice, or couldn't clearly see...

9 hours ago, Murdo said:

And the silicone and resin for making the parts aren't cheap. Especially when ruined by something you just didn't notice, or couldn't clearly see... 

😄 Sounds like some hard earned real life experience...

• 3 months later...

You take you original sculpt or part and either make a casting tool (mould) from it or cut it down into castable parts that you can make a mould from then cast the parts.

The real cost of resin parts is paying for the original work.

Making a sculpt or part can take me several weeks or even months.

• Like 1