Vanquished...!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all – it’s been about a month since the last update. The Albie now has some colour. 

I started with replicating the wood fuselage. First was the grain, done with oil paints. I wanted to make sure there was some variation:

DVC38_zpsvc5gvtyu.jpg
DVC39_zpsvveqvked.jpg
DVC40_zpslnlxoigw.jpg

Then an overcoat of clear yellow to blend it all together. I’ve started to block in some of the panel colours.

DVC41_zpszsmmx5xz.jpg
DVC42_zpsnomu3xha.jpg
DVC43_zpscjmo1qbp.jpg

While that was drying, I started ‘skinning’ the rudder and elevator. The rudder I kept lozenge, so I used Eagle Strike 5 colour lozenge to skin this. The elevator was slightly tricker, as I wanted to paint some Jasta colours over the tailplane, and lozenge decal wouldn’t be up to masking. So, I applied the decal onto the inside of a layer of foil, which I then used to skin the elevator. This would mean that I could paint the elevator and still have the lozenge colours showing through when I ‘battle damaged’ the elevator:

DVC44_zpsrrqekshj.jpg
DVC45_zpst5fpw6j6.jpg

Here the elevator is painted, in some very fictitious blue and red Jasta markings (just to add some colour), prior to the application of weathering and battle damage:

DVC46_zpsgvodrjvi.jpg

Next was the wings, also done using Eagle Strike lozenge. Here the upper wing is before weathering:

DVC47_zpsbjxdv44n.jpg

And here it is after weathering, with the battle damage done:

DVC48_zpscwvfhjkq.jpg
DVC49_zpspndpkpdv.jpg

Same with the lower wing:

DVC51_zpsxvsxl3ca.jpg
DVC50_zpsxuvyt9h5.jpg

And again, some more of the fictitious Jasta markings on the wheels:

DVC52_zpssu6o1npl.jpg

Here is the rest of the fuselage, with the rest of the battle damage done. 

DVC53_zpszl65khab.jpg
DVC54_zpsjluy9mek.jpg
DVC55_zpsvtbvhm2p.jpg

As you can see, I stuck with the ‘four leaf clover’ good luck charm (stolen from the Wingnuts 1/32 decal sheet, which worked well for this scale). The last of the fictitious jasta markings was the blue spinner. The serial number was a home made decal – the astute amongst you will note that this serial number is outside of the range of serial numbers for the DV/DVa series – just to blend in with the fictitious nature of the scheme 🙂

Lastly, here is another shot of the tail damage. I think I overdid it in the end a little too much… oh well, no going back!

DVC56_zpstdzzcyzx.jpg

Glad to have made it past this part of the build. Now it’s onto the rest of the major assembly.

Feedback welcomed as always!

Cheers,

BC 

• Like 9

Must have been a very successful month, that last post was epic. Every photo a winner!

Some brilliant painting skills and inventive battle damage there. Shaping up to be a brilliant final diorama.

Alan

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Much appreciated.

StephenCJ - thanks for the link - indeed I have used some of his videos to help me with the terrain thus far. I am a little concerned that the resin I'll be using for the river will warp the base though.... might have to think through this a little more...

Cheers

BC

Hi all - a minor update. The top wing is now mounted and rigged. I still have to fix the U/C and add some of the remaining details, but getting close now...

DVC57_zpszekd0wyp.jpg
DVC58_zpsa0fjssix.jpg

Now that the top wing is on, it's apparent that the figure won't sit right - the left arm (which was supposed to rest on the top wing) is in fact hanging out in space and the backside isn't sitting properly on the coaming (it's kind of hanging out in space, which looks odd). I'll need to do some rework; the figure will likely end up facing a different direction, I think... :(

I've also been experimenting with the resin that i'll use for the water - this is the first time i've tried something like this so it's a bit daunting. I've settled on a slow curing resin - Envirotex Lite, with some muddy acrylic colouring. Here is my test piece (which is about 1/3rd of an inch deep):

DVC59_zpskewyxtwi.jpg

The slow cure means that I can adjust the final position of the aircraft after the pour if I need to. The colouring also means that the river will look a little murky but still clear enough to see some of the river bed details. I'll likely add some ripples using gloss mod podge or similar.

I welcome any thoughts / feedback! 

Cheers,

BC 

• Like 5

Looking really good like this, can't help but thinking what a lucky guy the pilot was to be able to walk away when seeing the holes. But the damage is really well applied, may more oil around the engine, because they used as much oil as gasoline...

Thanks for the kind words and useful tips everyone - I might look to add a little more oil staining around some of the bullet holes around the engine. The sediment is an excellent point - I could perhaps do the pour in a couple of layers and try to replicate sediment with some light airbrushing between the layers... the danger is trying to get too tricky and messing the whole thing up (something i'm very good at....!)

I'm getting very close to pouring the resin so we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Cheers,

BC

This is absolutely stunning, I'm running out of superlatives.

I really have no idea how to do it, but is it possible to show the first signs of oil leaking into the water?  That rainbow effect?  Could be circumvented by the river flowing too fast I suppose.

Hi everyone - i'm calling this one done....

DVC62_zpscvkztybz.jpg

The full suite of completed pics are here - 

The water effects didn't quite worked out the way that I wanted, but I recovered it well enough. Thanks to all for your support through this build; it was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about modelling terrain.

Thanks again!

BC

Edited by Brad Cancian
  • Like 5