Vanquished...!

Hi all,

I've recently started a little aircraft crash diorama, based on the Eduard Albatros D.Va in 1/48 scale. It's not based on any photographs or historical event, rather, I got the idea many moons ago when I saw Stan Stokes' painting "Gotcha":

0073008-Large_zps1hc16t52.jpg

I've chosen a different aircraft (I am thinking an Albatros painted in markings from mid / late 1918, when they were very much outclassed), a different angle into the water (slightly more dramatic), and a different pilot (to help tell the story), but the basic concept is there in the painting. Here is where I began with fleshing out the basic concept:

DVC04_zpsjupp3eoi.jpg

DVC03_zpsx6vnupsc.jpg

DVC05_zpsrl8dxujh.jpg

The figure is a modified figure from the spares box, utilising bits and pieces from various figures (rather grotesque, really...).  Next came some ground work. This was rather scary for me as it's my first time at any kind of terrain other than flat ground.... so feedback is always welcomed.

First up, I used sheet plastic and cut foam to define the shape of the ground work:

DVC06_zpsyrgyvfm5.jpg

I then covered this in sculptamold, and scattered various grades of woodland scenics rocks / gravel over the base, secured using mod podge.

DVC07_zpsvndjjz1c.jpg

Once this had dried (several days), I base coated with Tamiya gloss black from a rattle can. This helped to produce shadows for the top coats:

DVC08_zps7jzhhdff.jpg

Next came some Gunze dark earth, keeping some darker patches for the river bed:

DVC09_zpsdpha7d3h.jpg

Then some dry brushing:

DVC10_zpsxjqc9ynq.jpg

Next came some long grass and reeds, as well as some small shrubs, again from woodland scenics:

DVC11_zpsoahje6da.jpg

And some more dry brushing to get the final effect:

DVC12_zpsmacmbks6.jpg

A bit more of an idea of how this might look. You can probably get a feel for where I will have the river level, once I work out the best way to do that without making a huge mess....  :o ??? 😕

DVC13_zpslcvp2yr5.jpgDVC14_zpsd8diybyr.jpg

DVC15_zpsz4nqsvue.jpgDVC16_zpsbrh4wtqk.jpg

As I said, first time at something like this, so i welcome all feedback!

Anyone know where to get some 1/48 scale ducks....?  :D

Cheers,

BC

Edited by Brad Cancian
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone - the interior is now completed. It's mostly out of the box with a couple of additions - I added a Karaya 1/48 engine to replace the kit engine, and added some detail to the engine compartment to fill the large void behind the engine in the kit (namely oil tanks, fuel tanks, and some bulkhead detail - nothing significant as not much more will be seen with the top wing on). The seat belts are at a bit of a funny angle as the finished model will also have a nose-down angle. The shoulder harnesses will be added towards the end of the build. 

DVC17_zpszzhb3bmv.jpg
DVC18_zpsclwibxch.jpg
DVC20_zpstuzfuwkm.jpgDVC19_zpsluvwgm4t.jpg
DVC21_zps4xyjgpbw.jpgDVC22_zpsroldrovb.jpg
DVC23_zps4b5muvou.jpgDVC24_zps53vsxp4c.jpg
DVC25_zpsayakqdbg.jpg
DVC28_zpstviw2j6x.jpg
DVC27_zps2ton1rfs.jpg
DVC26_zpsmwqq6fwa.jpg

Fuselage is now together and it's off to major construction...!

Cheers,

BC

Edited by Brad Cancian
  • Like 26

Very nice Brad, I'm looking forward to seeing this come together. A great start on the base by the way although I can offer no tips on that subject I'm afraid!

Ian

On 3/11/2019 at 7:33 AM, Brad Cancian said:

Anyone know where to get some 1/48 scale ducks....?  :D

Preisser are well-known manufacturers of figures (usually for model railways but obviously usable in other situations. The nearest to 1:48 would be 'O' scale in model-railway-speak, and the do indeed make a set of assorted animals (Ref: PR65326, 3 Geese, 4 Ducks, 8 Chickens, 2 Pigs, 1 Goat & a Cat - all painted)

Good work on the pilot figure by the way. I tend to fill the gaps in the limbs with Milliput or similar before sanding and painting, to hide the joins.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, including for the suggestions around the composition. I'll mull over whether I'll need something in the front right corner of the diorama... perhaps once everything is a bit more solidly in place I can make a judgement call.

Thanks again!

BC

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brad Cancian said:

Thanks everyone, including for the suggestions around the composition. I'll mull over whether I'll need something in the front right corner of the diorama... perhaps once everything is a bit more solidly in place I can make a judgement call.

Thanks again!

BC

This is going to be quite stunning.

For the front right corner, would either the stbd aileron or a propeller blade broken off in the drop over the bank work?

Thanks everyone - I could try and do some forced perspective trickery with a small scale SPAD, but I think i've got enough challenges just getting this one together :)

Minor update - I've started to add some basic 'battle damage' - mainly some detail which will sit under shot / torn fabric. In all, I want it to look like just enough damage to necessitate an inexperienced pilot to make a forced landing, so i'm going for some fairly significant damage to the rudder fabric, some damage to the elevator, and a holed radiator (to be done) and torn fabric on the upper wing. A few bullets will also have made their way into the engine compartment, and the wheel has damaged the lower wing on the tumble into the river. 

DVC33_zpscnanwtba.jpg
DVC29_zps3lxt8bo2.jpgDVC30_zpsciyq7txi.jpg
DVC31_zpsmilv880j.jpgDVC32_zpsnu5uzpcn.jpg

The torn fabric will probably be done with lozenge decal, or painted foil. Still yet to work that one out...

Cheers,

BC 

• Like 9

She now has some crumpled legs... most of this will be under the water line, but there may be enough clarity in the water that something might be seen (or at least hinted at).... worst case, at least i'll know it's there :)

DVC35_zpsvkoxsj5z.jpg

DVC36_zpsv0ed6ugi.jpg

DVC37_zpsxgm4r4pb.jpg

Cheers,

BC

• Like 9