This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

DMC

Scotland

Moved over here from across the pond in ‘92 and have travelled around a bit but never to Scotland.  This May, however, we are off to Glasgow and I am looking forward to the trip.  Watched Susan Calman’s travel series’s recently and really enjoyed that.  Might be the first of many.

Cheers

Dennis

Lots to see so we’ll worth planning to maximise the time available. You could easily use a good month and still not get round everything. I’ve been here 60 years and have still to do it all :D

Posted (edited)

Based in Glasgow you would be handy for a day travelling on the West Highland Line from Glasgow Queen Street to Mallaig and return , travelling on the scheduled service and booking in advance is far cheaper than the excursion packages and in May you would do most of the return in daylight if its not raining or misty and if a landslide has not blocked the single line track and the service has been transferred to buses.

Did the journey a few years back in June on a cloudless, sunny day and the range of scenery is absolutely fantastic although people we spoke with on the train were doing the journey again because on their last attempt most of it was done in a grey tunnel of mist and rain.

Edited by Des

Glasgow is much more interesting to visit than Edinburgh in my opinion. Edinburgh is a 'Scottish Tartan Theme Park' whereas Glasgow is the real deal. Lots of Museums to visit and lots of great places to eat and listen to live music.

Duncan B

Ach ye dinnae want to come to Scotland it's full of loonies that've never been caught running about in kilts and waving their weaponry in the air and, whatever you do, don't feed the wild Haggis after midnight it gives them the most incredible gas.

I agree with @Duncan B about Glasgow being more interesting than Edinburgh. Kelvingrove Art Gallery and the Riverside Museum are the obvious starting points. There are also a couple of excellent model shops - Scott's Models and Wildcat Models

I'll give a plug to my own part of Scotland - Perthshire. You can get to Perth from Glasgow by train in a little over an hour (from Queen Street) but you would really need to drive if you wanted to explore Perthshire. It's a straight run up the M80/A9 and again takes about an hour in off-peak traffic. Perth is a pleasant small city although like many places it's a bit frayed round the edges just now. Its main importance is as the gateway to the Highlands and Perthshire offers beautiful scenery, interesting history, attractive towns and a couple of excellent distilleries if you're a fan of the amber nectar. 

I'm sure the Scots among us will be happy to offer specific information and advice if you give us some idea of your plans.

Whatever you do don't stray near Northern Cowal as there are some very weird inhabitants there 👽

6 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

m sure the Scots among us will be happy to offer specific information and advice if you give us some idea of your plans.

Taking the train up and using whatever form of transportation appeals.  Thinking about taking one of the round-the-city busses to have a quick look and then choose.  Pretty flexible, really, but museums, art galleries and the like are on the agenda.  We are on the inter web taking note of places of interest.  Madam is quite good at arranging this sort of thing and I am happy to go along with her suggestions.

Thanking everyone for their comments and advice.  And yes, probably will bring a “brolly”.

Cheers

Dennis

Glasgow tour bus is a great idea - they do a hop on hop off ticket that lets you get on or off. Goes out to the Kelvingrove Museum - well worth a visit.

We did it last year for the first time, in spite of living in Glasgow until our late 20s,  we both found and saw things that we didn't know about.

https://www.citysightseeingglasgow.co.uk/

Cathederal Quarter is alos interesting - Museum of Reigious Art and Provands Lordship, oldest house in Glasgow

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Gordon J said:

Bring a brolly

🌧️

And a heavy duty raincoat and galoshes and snow shoes, just in case...

Edited by Kallisti

4 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Glasgow tour bus is a great idea

That’s the one.  Did the hop on/hop off thing in Cardiff a couple of years ago.  Really good.

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

The Summerlee Industrial Museum isn't very far out of Glasgow and is worth a half day visit.  It's nowhere near the scale of Beamish but it's along similar lines.

Duly noted.

Thanks guys.

Dennis

There is a tour available of the "hidden bits" of Glasgow Central Station. This keeps getting rave reviews online and in the Railway Press. Might be worth a few hours.

If you do nothing else in Glasgow, the Clyde Room at the Museum of Transport is a must. Took my late wife there on our last visit, had to drag her inside, as she was mumbling about "More bloody boys' toys"; four hours later had to drag her out again - she'd have happily stayed there for the rest of the day!

20 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

Museum of Transport i

Thank you, Admiral, that’ll be on the list.

Dennis

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Thank you, Admiral, that’ll be on the list.

Dennis

Museum of Transport has moved and is now the Riverside Museum.

Details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside_Museum

No more Clyde room I`m afraid, but there are extensive displays of model ships etc. dotted around the museum. Some builder`s models have to be seen to be believed, including a KGV class battleship in 48th scale! 

Free entry, well worth the visit. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, 4scourge7 said:

Details:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riverside_Museum

No more Clyde room I`m afraid, but there are extensive displays of model ships etc. dotted around the museum. Some builder`s models have to be seen to be believed, including a KGV class battleship in 48th scale! 

Free entry, well worth the visit. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the update - it was 1997 when the Minister for War and Finance and I visited. It is definitely on my list for my next trip to Glasgow.

46 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Thanks for the update - it was 1997 when the Minister for War and Finance and I visited. It is definitely on my list for my next trip to Glasgow.

The new museum is definitely worth a visit and is award-winning. However, there is debate as to whether the Clyde Room better displayed the ship models or if the new arrangement does. Having missed the opportunity to visit the Clyde Room, I am not in a position to say.  Plus, they are not collected in one part of the new museum, there are three main displays in various places, as well as major showcase models such as the `Queen` liners, and HMS Hood.

Cheers,Ian

On 3/12/2019 at 8:17 PM, 4scourge7 said:

Details:

Thanks @4scourge7

:bye:

What is this Scotland? 

Is it similar to the Iceland shop where you buy your frozen veggies etc :) 

Very highly recommend you try the Highland Rover Rail pass https://www.scotrail.co.uk/tickets/combined-tickets-travel-passes/highland-rover valid for several days travel on trains and ferries north of Glasgow for a bargain £89 (if there are two of you get a two together railcard for a further 1/3 off)

Utterly beautiful all the way

4 hours ago, MAD STEVE said:

:bye:

What is this Scotland? 

Is it similar to the Iceland shop where you buy your frozen veggies etc :) 

Yes. It's where you get frozen Haggis, neeps and tatties, fried Mars bars, an Irn Bru.