Rareplane Breda 65

Well I stared at my “somewhat done” pile and came across this kit:

80-A9-E1-FA-516-E-41-F4-B251-E488357-AC7

I made and finished the RCR version of the Breda 65 so this one was rather left by the wayside. I have cut out and sanded the parts, and even stuck some of them together. I think it got stuck because of the mess I made of the cowling opening and not wanting to start the interior. It’s not even in my shelf of shame list.

I’m planning to do wheels up with a disc propeller.

I used the supplied parts for the interior and made some balsa masters for the canopy.

449-DE134-6-CAA-4-CDC-A12-D-B046-B191175

Interior finished:

4-AD11219-8-E9-A-4870-BBF4-3-B0-AFDD11-A

I made a hoop using my circle cutter to salvage the cowling. The engine is a crude Oyumaru/Milliput copy of a Frog Baltimore engine:

E7447832-115-A-417-A-BB73-2-F209153455-E

Oops, remember I said wheels up? Pilot is a small modern Airfix man from the Tiger Moth I think, with arms made from Old Airfix Blenheim exhausts!

FEB3340-E-70-A8-4991-8-AD2-B909-C6905243

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 16

Well I learned something today; when heating up clear plastic for vacforming I try to heat up slowly, and some types of plastic go white on me. I was sure it wasn’t that sort of plastic today so I had another go with the heat gun about  half an inch away, and sure enough the plastic softened quickly without going milky! 

So a bumper collection of canopies today:

1548680-A-D1-A3-40-FF-8-E74-381-B2-C4889

The sharp-eyed amongst you ( @JimHead23 ) will notice the crispest nicest canopies I ever took off Beaufort moulds!

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 4

I have futured up the canopies: as ever, when you have a good hard look at them they aren’t as perfect as you thought!

In the meantime, here it is with all the flying surfaces on. There Will Be Milliput!

DF9-F5839-D904-4597-A17-F-51-F200-DC2-B9

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I built that Rareplanes kit about 30 years ago. At the time it was the only option I think. Your comment about getting the the cowl opening right jogged my memory; oh the horror! It did turn out ok in the end though

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got some filler on at the weekend:

9059321-F-0-D1-F-4-B71-8-BA6-85-D5-E476-

With the spare Milliput I closed up the wing root gap on another project:

C895-C486-A3-E8-44-B3-AABF-E38-ADD37-FC8

I put a sheet of magazine wrapper plastic on the fuselage so the wing didn’t stick.

And a while ago Chris @English Electric kindly donated a Gerald Elliot vac Sea Vixen. For no discernible reason (well the box lives in the study, not the stash), I got distracted into cutting out the parts:

1-A18-C014-299-E-4156-BCEA-C78-FE90-D434

This is going to end up as an in-flight desktop model. I have a “proper” Frog kit to do as well so I don't want to go overboard with this.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 9

• 8 months later...
5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Adrian 

Did you ever do anymore to this one ?

Sadly not Pat. It’s sitting on the Shelf Of Embarrassment in my study. It stalled while trying to get the cowling bulges acceptable. I used white glue blobs, which probably wasn’t the right way to go. 

Looking forward to yours though!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Sadly not Pat. It’s sitting on the Shelf Of Embarrassment in my study. It stalled while trying to get the cowling bulges acceptable. I used white glue blobs, which probably wasn’t the right way to go. 

Looking forward to yours though!

Regards,

Adrian

Gulp, no pressure then !

You could always revive it in the current KUTA GB

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 1

I might do cos it is kinda close to the line... I think the Empire is too big a build for one KUTA so it will end up in WIP(*). Mind you there's also a BE2c, Hawker Demon, Long Range Monoplane .....

Cheers,

Adrian

(*) I was probably the only person to think I could finish. Ha.

I'd forgotten about that long range monoplane, that's going to look amazing when it's finished.

Very surprised Frog didn't release one of those I thought it would have been right up their street !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Adrian 

Did you ever do anymore to this one ?

I'm hoping to build one of these in Syrian airforce colours for the MTO GB next year, with a rear turret.

All tips gratefully received  !

Cheers Pat 

Hi Pat,

I thought masochism had been outlawed in Scotland!!! You are living on the edge, wanting to build a Ba 65 WITH A TURRET!!!!

As if the basic single-sitter was not difficult enough, whichever model you choose...

But hey, as long as we can watch, why not!

JR

• Haha 3