Hurricane, Airfix 72nd fabric wing Mk.I, OOB

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

How common was it to have no white in the roundals and no tail flash pre-war?

The Hurricane pic is taken April or May 1939 IIRC (there are details in the Flickr link, along with the two other shots of this series in the comments)

white and yellow were removed during the Munich Crisis, you can see the painted out yellow outer rings.   No tail flashes pre war at all, they only came in in May 1940.

I recommend checking the Ducimus monograph for the details of what happened and when, scanned here.

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane

as there are a lot of changes over a reasonably short time period, 38-41, does make dating photos easier, as the changes instructed were done fast in general

The canopy framing is my next challenge....  

cheers

T

• Like 2

Great to see you at the bench Troy!

I think we have a lot of similarities! My completion rate is shocking. Despite having a stash of kits, paints and accessories enough to service the needs of a IPMS branch, it takes me ages to complete anything. Largely due to a brain too full of ever conflicting ideas and a brutal self criticism of anything I build. My mind demands the perfect build, and the aging fingers and eyesight fail to deliver.

Up there with the record collecting too. Been collecting vinyl since 81 when I first had a bit of money of my own. Spent the rest of the 80s buying mostly punk, new wave and various synth artists but stopped when 80s music went all Kylie and Jason. So most of my collection mostly spans from about 76 to 84. Picked up the bug again a few years ago when I stumbled across a nice old Technics system for £20 (like new with all the original boxes and paperwork) and got back into it and hoovering up stuff I didn't get around to buying back in the day. I mean, how could I not have had Devo's New Traditionalists in the collection? Oh, and still struggling to finish kits!

Great looking Hurricane Troy! Nice to see some brushwork going on. I have an airbrush myself, but for 72nd, I'm still happy with the old hairy stick.

Steve

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, fightersweep said:

Great to see you at the bench Troy!

I think we have a lot of similarities! My completion rate is shocking. Despite having a stash of kits, paints and accessories enough to service the needs of a IPMS branch, it takes me ages to complete anything. Largely due to a brain too full of ever conflicting ideas and a brutal self criticism of anything I build. My mind demands the perfect build, and the aging fingers and eyesight fail to deliver.

Up there with the record collecting too. Been collecting vinyl since 81 when I first had a bit of money of my own. Spent the rest of the 80s buying mostly punk, new wave and various synth artists but stopped when 80s music went all Kylie and Jason. So most of my collection mostly spans from about 76 to 84. Picked up the bug again a few years ago when I stumbled across a nice old Technics system for £20 (like new with all the original boxes and paperwork) and got back into it and hoovering up stuff I didn't get around to buying back in the day. I mean, how could I not have had Devo's New Traditionalists in the collection? Oh, and still struggling to finish kits!

Great looking Hurricane Troy! Nice to see some brushwork going on. I have an airbrush myself, but for 72nd, I'm still happy with the old hairy stick.

Steve

I bet you I have a worse completion rate. Nothing since about 1981 and my Hurricane has been underway since the end of January LAST YEAR!

The fingers and eyesight: I've got that, too.

Chris

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

I bet you I have a worse completion rate. Nothing since about 1981 and my Hurricane has been underway since the end of January LAST YEAR!

The fingers and eyesight: I've got that, too.

Chris

Gosh, here was I fretting that my last completion was in 2008.  It was a 1/72 Hasegawa Spitfire VIII which I gave to a work colleague in Stamford CT just before returning to the UK.

• Like 1

On 15/03/2019 at 20:15, fightersweep said:

I mean, how could I not have had Devo's New Traditionalists in the collection?

Don't know, not sure if I do.....  the Devo item to have is the 77 Mabuhay show,  oft bootlegged, don't know if it got a legit release.  

neat little piece here from Jon Savage with clips

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2014/feb/19/devo-five-great-moments

the films they made back in Akron are still pretty weird, (first clip)  the NYC clip of Gut Feelin/Slap your Mammy is worth it for the drummer alone... 

Also well worth checking out are the Hardcore Devo CDs (and LP's I think) of 74-76 era demos. 

Not a vast amount of progress.  

Under matt varnished, but also to show the wheel problem...  this neatly shows how oversized they are (the retracted ones are better...they fit) 

47376156162_80eccb3401_b.jpg50620616 by losethekibble, on Flickr

I also solved the rudder butt joint problem, small drill and bits of paper clip.... I tried to do it quick.... which inevitably took longer. 

40463326943_6a6997251a_b.jpg50620621 by losethekibble, on Flickr

anyway, it's on, needs a matt coat.  Finally remembered to Kleer the UC doors, so hopefully some last touch ups and a final thinned matt coat, and can attach UC and prop, windscreen and small bits

Did manage do damage the spinner backplate by not paying attention,  but can nab one from another kit. 

What causing a major delay is the canopy,  I brushed painted it, didn't like it, mostly stripped it and then Kleered it, had another go a brushing, not happy again.  

I'm going to try painted decal film,  assuming I can find some decal with enough spare film....I'm I have something, just finding it!

the windscreen took paint OK though.

cheers

T

• Like 8

Coming along great guns Troy and building up into a real little beauty.

You've actually inspired me with this build and I dragged my kit of this (the version with the 85 Sqn decals) out yesterday and started it. Not very far at the moment apart from some painting of the cockpit and bits and bobs so not worthy of its own thread quite yet. It's a nice little kit apart from the damn canopy!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Smithy said:

It's a nice little kit apart from the damn canopy!

yes, better than I at first thought,  especially when the bits that visually grate are not fitted, canopy, wheels(too big, 4 spoke) and spinner(too long) it looks really neat. 

As long as it does not go horribly wrong  i'll attach the suspect bits so they can be removed, as Ive been surprised at how it's turned out! 

Had a go at the exhausts as well.... I think I need to do a pic as I'm not sure what i think of them....   I'm try to get the final matt coat on tomorrow.

thank for the support

cheers

T

• Like 1

Troy, if you're having bother with the canopy painting have a crack at masking it. I'm a brush painter and always mask my canopies, it makes for a much, much cleaner finish. I use Parafilm M but if you can't get hold of that, Tamiya tape works very well. Just make sure you have pushed all the masking material properly down, I use a blunted end of a toothpick to make sure it's all pushed into the frame edges and then use a brand spanking new Exacto blade to cut the masking by following the canopy framing. Afterwards paint the interior framework colour and then the exterior colour. It gives a really good result.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I use Parafilm M but if you can't get hold of that,

I have some...never tried it though!   Hmm,  maybe easier than decal film.   I shall experiment later.

cheers

T

9 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I have some...never tried it though!   Hmm,  maybe easier than decal film.   I shall experiment later.

cheers

T

I find it easier to use than masking tape as it's a doddle to cut once it's on. it seals beautifully too and I've never had bleed through from it even though I'm brush painting. Make sure you stretch it first. I've been using it since about 2005/2006 and wouldn't use anything else, fantastic stuff!

This is the tutorial/how to piece at HS that I used to learn how to use it. It's a piece of cake to use.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/usingparafilmda_1.htm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

Coming along great guns Troy and building up into a real little beauty.

You've actually inspired me with this build and I dragged my kit of this (the version with the 85 Sqn decals) out yesterday and started it. Not very far at the moment apart from some painting of the cockpit and bits and bobs so not worthy of its own thread quite yet. It's a nice little kit apart from the damn canopy!

Not very far yet! I've been at this since January 2018 and this is it so far. Some of the bits and bobs are in an old film container , awaiting painting and attachment.

33554316648_0c9a11b976_b.jpg

Troy, I painted my exhaust pipes Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron and did a bit of weathering with Tamiya Pastels Burnt Red. They will need some lighter colours yet.

46072033212_dd5651595b_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 7

11 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I painted my exhaust pipes Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron and did a bit of weathering with Tamiya Pastels Burnt Red. They will need some lighter colours yet.

46072033212_dd5651595b_b.jpg

looks good Chris

i did mine first in a mix of gunmetal and dark blue, which would make a nice party dress... then tried a Vallejo rust wash,  which made sparkly orange, so tried dulling it down with my grey wash and some hull red,  and then dabbed on some very thinned blue,  wiping off the excess each time.... which got me here

32491546317_bd3727092d_b.jpg50620622 by losethekibble, on Flickr

I shall look for Tamiya burnt iron!   I have some pastels, so I will experiment with them

Raiding @Etiennedup  flickr again,  this is a good shot of this type of exhaust,  and that XF-84 look to be a good paint for the job. 

16804377395_8b7c604c60_o.jpgSpitfire Mk. IIA, 1941. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

Now...where did I put that parafilm....

cheers

T

• Like 4

Looking good Troy, mine is in a similar state of completion.  I appreciate there may be errors, but you get errors on Tamigawa kits for two or three times the price of the little Airfix gem.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
Predictive text

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

i did mine first in a mix of gunmetal and dark blue, which would make a nice party dress... 

I would pay cash money* for a posted pic of you in a gunmetal and dark blue party dress, on this forum...who needs @Martian Hale and his blue/green antennae?

* enough for at least one bag of salt and vinegar crisps

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, azureglo said:

I would pay cash money* for a posted pic of you in a gunmetal and dark blue party dress, on this forum.

Hmm, I could, but this is what most likely would happen....

xwdfemng3seaol2smefo.jpg

such things are not for the eyes of mere mortals....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, azureglo said:

I would pay cash money* for a posted pic of you in a gunmetal and dark blue party dress, on this forum...who needs @Martian Hale and his blue/green antennae?

* enough for at least one bag of salt and vinegar crisps

How very dare you! No-one out camps the Martian. 🏕️ Well, apart from @general melchett that is.

Miffed of Mars 👽

• Haha 3

pondered on varnish too long...

this mostly for the landing lights,  which with the dark wash in them show up..

33597740138_f4a75b4ce6_b.jpg50620623 by losethekibble, on Flickr

unfortunately shows the slight misalignment of fuse roundels, not horrible, but noticeable from directly above, the port side was OK< but the starboard was tricky to get the whole decal(serial, codes and roundel)  to line up, and was a potential disaster, I had to cut the decal on the model by very gently rolling a scalpel blades and positioning it 3  in  bits...

varnish... added another coat of W&N Valleria, thinned with a bit of water and IPA.  The IPA caused I think Kler to bleed through a bit,  making it patchy shiny.  

In the end I gave a very thin water thinned coat, and it mostly seems OK.  A shiny with lumps I tried to reduce with a brush with neat IPA,  rinsing it with IPA.  Not sure how that will work out, but I'm trying to avoid too many touch up and messing about, so went 'enough'

So, onwards UC.

46558994395_7211124abb_b.jpg50620626 by losethekibble, on Flickr

Really fiddly,  lord know what someone with a starter set would make of it.

Needed to open up holes in main spar a bit, easier, and scrape paint out of other bits.  test fitted and then assembled with tiny amounts of superglue.  It's a bit fragile.  Once all in place fairly rigid though.

Wheels, which I note have flat, and with the attachment slots, attention needs to be paid which goes where..  

Tailwheel and exhausts,  here those really tight slots don't help, as tricky to clean out, more varnish than anything else.  Should have got a pointy blade but was getting impatient.

Windscreen I did brush paint OK,  used the sliding part to help alignment (the blob is blutack, as it was mounted one something to try to redo the frame lines), fixed with Wudcare 5 fast minute PVA.

@Smithy is right about the excess height spoils the look.  Along with oversize wheels :( 

and not very well lit shots,  but was going for the nearly complete psychological boost of this

46558998375_12f13c3546_b.jpg50620628 by losethekibble, on Flickr

46751030484_a8d46d8a0e_b.jpg50620627 by losethekibble, on Flickr

So, prop, aerial and line,  canopy frames, and some touch up and a little weathering,  and should be done.  

Thank for reading

cheers

T

• Like 5

Great stuff Troy and good progress. If you have a spare canopy like from the 1st Airfix moulding do it as it really helps. I've replaced mine with the same and it looks much, much better. It only needed a little sanding behind the rear bulkhead to sit down nicely and some filler under the front sides of the windscreen.

And this build has already made me drag out another Hurricane kit to build after this. I think I have to blame you Troy for reigniting the Hurri spark again - I haven't built one since making the Hasegawa 1/48 job back in 2007!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Looks great Troy ... Nothing is ever 100% perfect unless the scale is 1:1. 

Thanks Dennis

I've learnt a lot,  this has been done with a minimal set up,  and I'm 90% happy with the paintwork,  the oil wash was a revelation.  Decals went on very well with Kleer

Also by actually sticking to just the kit bits,  I didn't go down the "I'll wait till I get this" rabbithole' 

I do have one I started tweaking.... which would make an interesting comparison, as would the Arma kit, which they very kindly sent me a copy of.   

I have an Airfix Cromwell washed,  and some SCC 15 green mixed up, so I might well do that next as a change.    

cheers

T

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Smithy said:

If you have a spare canopy like from the 1st Airfix moulding do it as it really helps.

Maybe,  I might redo the bits that are kit wrong,  (canopy, spinner, wheels) as it has come out far better than I expected, but it's also at the moment to show next to a Hurricane that does not have these issues, why they are issues.

And this build has already made me drag out another Hurricane kit to build after this. I think I have to blame you Troy for reigniting the Hurri spark again - I haven't built one since making the Hasegawa 1/48 job back in 2007!

Makes the idea of just doing OOB builds of stash of 72nd kits I have got a more realistic idea,  as because I know the kits are flawed,  I'll actually get on with it.

There are a few worth the bother of correcting (I hope) or making a better job of.(Heller, Hasegawa and AZ )

The less rigorous approach may help getting the daughter involved,  as far as she can see dad has lots of models, but doesn't seem to build them...  

I was only able to build and complete a model after I was 8,  most got wrecked, or are battered,  years of being in boxes in the shed,  but should document a few of them as, well, I did actually follow the instructions and paint guide, using proper Airfix colours as well!  

I still maintain that Airfix colours looked better on models than the Humbrol equivalents,  I did a Revell 32nd Spitfire when I was 9  (got with Green Shield stamps!)  and the shop had run out of Airfix M3 Dark green,  and I got a pot of Humbrol 30 (or maybe mum did, as it was "the same")  and was horrified at how blue it was.... 

I'm now wondering how I did it, I never used cutters or a knife, just twisted bit off, painted them and stuck it together...

And,  didn't set fire to them etc etc....  so at a kit a week, plus Birthday, Christmas and random presents....  in 3 years I built up quite a collection.   And then I discovered 1/48th... 

cheers

T

• Like 2

@Troy Smith I think I may have found something about VY-G(C) and which I'd like your opinion on being a Hurricane expert. It's late here and I'm on school duty tomorrow so if you don't mind I'll either PM you or put it in my Hurri build thread. Hope that's OK.

Cheers!

Tim

Edited by Smithy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

put it in my Hurri build thread. Hope that's OK.

IN the build thread please, as messsage box full, (I miss the archive facilty)  and also there it's of relevance.   There's an email on my profile, or via the IPMS MID Sussex site.

cheers

T

• Thanks 1