Hurricane, Airfix 72nd fabric wing Mk.I, OOB

in an attempt to actually build a blinkin' kit to completion,   I pulled out on of the Aldi specials I succumbed to..

Also, this is OOB, apart from the paint, as I want to do a corrected one later....  Nothing very exciting I'm afraid.... 

We all know what the kit looks like...

some  interior painting,   all the apint is acrylic, brushed on.   I own an airbrush, and compressor etc, but in store, and not used, so in the interests of actually building the thing to completion  it's brush time, and I used to be able to brush paint pretty well in my youth, I now realise! 

Anyway, the silver is Vallejo, grey green Humbrol, with a dark wash made of Vallejo glaze medium and dark grey, water added as needed.  

32400417997_dcb4d8293b_b.jpg50620583 by losethekibble, on Flickr

and with some sub-assemblies

32400414007_76fa1716a6_b.jpg50620584 by losethekibble, on Flickr

a good tip on the wheel well is to use the upper wing to get the front spar in place.    I have used mostly cheap pound shop superglue for assembly, with some Tamiya Extra thin wicked in in a few places later to weld the joins.

and wing and fuse together

46619053944_293f68c437_b.jpg50620585 by losethekibble, on Flickr

40377108823_58b502fe6e_b.jpg50620586 by losethekibble, on Flickr

the basically 1/48th sized control column :( 

note, also the crap wing trailing edge, what is with Airfix that they have problems with the wing rear edges.... the tailplanes and rudder are great though!

and after some Mr Surfacer,  and some test fitting,  all together, and on with the Vallejo...

the bottles are shown

40377117653_8bedda50c8_b.jpg50620587 by losethekibble, on Flickr

though subsequently I didn't like the Dark Green,  finding it a bit too Humbrol 30 so I have gone over it with Xtracrylix Dark Green,  which is OK, shows brush mark more, and is glossy... plus lots of fiddling about and touching up, and then more touch up etc etc....., it got a got of coat of Kleer

I'd have shot some pics but the batteries are out of charge.....  

hopefully decals next ..... 

• Like 14

Hi Troy

It's a nice little kit really especially when you consider the price. Okay I know there's one or two issues such as trailing edges etc, but builds up nicely, I am doing one myself at the moment as an almost OOB apart from seatbelts.  I haven't done a WIP though but, have posted a photo on my Whirlwind thread. I have really enjoyed the build. 

Great work on your build it looks lovely.

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Thanks 1

No fair! I've been slowly working on mine for over a year and you come along and slap that together in a few hours and it's gonna look better than mine when you're done tomorrow or the next day.

Please excuse me now. I have to go somewhere and drink heavily!

Looking good, Troy. I'll be waiting completion.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

No fair! I've been slowly working on mine for over a year and you come along and slap that together in a few hours and it's gonna look better than mine when you're done tomorrow or the next day.

Chris

Over a year, you wearing a blindfold ? 

Lovely little kit goes together in next to no time.

14 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

Over a year, you wearing a blindfold ? 

Lovely little kit goes together in next to no time.

No, just old and slow and trying out some new things I've never done before. I haven't completed anything since I did a few 1/35 tanks in the early 80's. The last completed 1/72 airplane was in 1978. It was an Italeri Ju188.

I have started a few  since then, but I either lose interest or just not satisfied with my work. And speaking of work, I worked 12 hour day and night shifts. As I moved up the progression and was able to do more, I was forced to work more hours. Mind you, the pay was fantastic! I never dreamed a highschool dropout could ever make so much. The work hours and raising a family didn't leave a lot of free time during most of the 90's on up to retirement in 2015.

Oh yeah! I'm a big procrastinator too. I knew when I started the kit my progress would be glacial. I'm good with it. I just wanted to take a dig at Troy. He's so damned good!

Chris

• Like 6

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I've been slowly working on mine for over a year and you come along and slap that together in a few hours

more like a week.

It's in the kitchen as well...   anyway, batteries charged

46624059994_7be90eea8c_b.jpg50620588 by losethekibble, on Flickr

top,  with Kleer

46624061484_a09bd4c441_b.jpg50620589 by losethekibble, on Flickr

underside, again with Kleer

The underside is Vallejo pastel green, which is matched to  FS number for US ANA 610 (I'll edit it in later) and it's a little greyer and less green than the RAF Museum chip

the underside light is a home mix, and as it's OOB, no wing tip lights, just silver paint :rolleyes:

some detail bits

40381932843_d5bc47702c_b.jpg50620590 by losethekibble, on Flickr

I brush painted the cockpit frames,  the windscreen I scraped off the excess with a toothpick, dry, the canopy I used it dipped in IPA and ended up having to strip it off. 

prop blade tips need reducing, they are 4 inch, which in 72nd is 1/18th of an inch, which isn't on rulers, so it's eyeball time between 1/20th and 1/16th..

the leading edge light got some  of the dark greywash, which settled in the engraved detail,  and the some silver behind.  

I'm not very impressed with Vallejo silver though.

All pics on my 'toytown' camera.... 

By this I mean,  the first digital camera I had was borrowed and then inherited, and was I guess a 2nd generation digital camera,  by Concord, very basic, point and shoot lens.   But, I liked the results it gave.   I have had several 'better' cameras, but I mostly didn't use the features, and there were always other problems (none were new I must add)

My old one eventually died,  and after getting annoyed with the others,  I ended up searching for one on ebay, and as it's an obsolete model, got  a boxed one for for about £5 posted....  this is the model up, Concord 5062AF.     I really like that the batteries keep their charge for ages, and even in macro mode it doesn't show up every last tiny flaw...

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

No, just old and slow and trying out some new things I've never done before. I haven't completed anything since I did a few 1/35 tanks in the early 80's. The last completed 1/72 airplane was in 1978. It was an Italeri Ju188.

I have started a few  since then, but I either lose interest or just not satisfied with my work

Know the feeling Chris.

My completion rate is abysmal.   I have done a few figures, the only plane was the dreadful Revell 1/144th Hurricane

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235008978-revell-hurricane-1144th-daughters-first-build-with-dads-help/

As a result i'm trying to do what I did with that.  Build AND FINISH the darn thing,  as I know I can build well,   and the brush painting is going OK.  The above showed that the bedding decals in Kleer worked.

I got a bad case of 'not being satisfied' with my work circa 1981,  but then I was reading Scale Models and judging my work against that...  the great thing about forums like this (plus cheap cameras and the rest) is you can put you work in context.

We have some exceptional modellers here, and lots that are great, good, competent and a few that are not so great,  but. heck, they get them finished and post up the pics 

I also have this 1/72nd fw 190 D by Airfix i did circa 1981 hanging  above the sink, which was a similar thing, as I was into 1/48th by then, but it's brushed painted with specific mixes of those danged late war Luftwaffe colours...    I was getting very anoraky then

I'll give it a wipe down and do some pics, as now it look reasonably good, especially for a 15 year old.

Not long after that I discovered punk rock and got something resembling a social life and obsessing over my faults and  lack of ability in modelling wasn't a help. plus I was starting on another obsession.... record collecting....

I got back into modelling, or the idea of it with parenthood,  but found may of the old problems still there, but was then able to potter about in this mental goldfish bowl,  plus years of record collecting, which i stopped, (and to be honest there is very little I don't already have, or what I "want" is way too pricey  now) had made a space in my income to spend on some new toys....  of which I now have way to many of those too  

I digress, thank you everyone for the kind comments.    Hopefully some decalling later

cheers

T

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

in an attempt to actually build a blinkin' kit to completion, 

I own an airbrush, and compressor etc, but in store, and not used, so in the interests of actually building the thing to completion  it's brush time, 

I knocked one out in 4 days last summer, airbrushing  and all.

Finishing is very important, without the feedback and sense of achievement, its very hard to build any confidence and develop any skill. I think there is a time and place for the one year 1/24 super detailed builds  but looking at half finished kit for more that few days depresses me no end...plus I have a large supply of perspex rod and magnets I need to use up 🙄

• Like 3

Looking great so far.  I'm on the final stretch with my (first) Arma Hurricane right now so I'm watching with interest.  Gone a bit Hurricane crazy recently.  I was very chuffed to read that there are no less than 18 airworthy Hurricanes/Sea Hurricanes at the moment.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Chris

Hi Chris,

Let me go with you if you don't mind...

I have the same feelings and I still have a Malta Blue Hurricane to bury... In some beers :rofl2:

Hello Troy,

Great job on this Hurricane !!

I'll follow if you don't mind it.

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hi Chris,

Let me go with you if you don't mind...

I have the same feelings and I still have a Malta Blue Hurricane to bury... In some beers :rofl2:

Hello Troy,

Great job on this Hurricane !!

I'll follow if you don't mind it.

Sincerely.

CC

Anytime, brother. I'm usually up for brew or two.

8 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Know the feeling Chris.

My completion rate is abysmal.   I have done a few figures, the only plane was the dreadful Revell 1/144th Hurricane

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235008978-revell-hurricane-1144th-daughters-first-build-with-dads-help/

As a result i'm trying to do what I did with that.  Build AND FINISH the darn thing,  as I know I can build well,   and the brush painting is going OK.  The above showed that the bedding decals in Kleer worked.

I got a bad case of 'not being satisfied' with my work circa 1981,  but then I was reading Scale Models and judging my work against that...  the great thing about forums like this (plus cheap cameras and the rest) is you can put you work in context.

We have some exceptional modellers here, and lots that are great, good, competent and a few that are not so great,  but. heck, they get them finished and post up the pics 

I also have this 1/72nd fw 190 D by Airfix i did circa 1981 hanging  above the sink, which was a similar thing, as I was into 1/48th by then, but it's brushed painted with specific mixes of those danged late war Luftwaffe colours...    I was getting very anoraky then

I'll give it a wipe down and do some pics, as now it look reasonably good, especially for a 15 year old.

Not long after that I discovered punk rock and got something resembling a social life and obsessing over my faults and  lack of ability in modelling wasn't a help. plus I was starting on another obsession.... record collecting....

I got back into modelling, or the idea of it with parenthood,  but found may of the old problems still there, but was then able to potter about in this mental goldfish bowl,  plus years of record collecting, which i stopped, (and to be honest there is very little I don't already have, or what I "want" is way too pricey  now) had made a space in my income to spend on some new toys....  of which I now have way to many of those too  

I digress, thank you everyone for the kind comments.    Hopefully some decalling later

cheers

T

Sounds like we've led similar lives. Back in the 80's, after landing a great paying job, I bought a new stereo and started buying vinyl. I have also reached the age where there's not much music that I'm looking for. I recently found my old want list and there were only about 4 items left on it, instead of the 100+ it used to have.

I thought I was going down to Edmonton today with my wife and daughter and would be able to hit a couple of hobbyshops to look for some thinner for some old Gunze Sangyo paint, but as the weather is supposed to be really warm here, I had to stay home and keep an eye on the window well for the basement window in my hobby room.

It's a low point and will fill with melt water sometimes. I do have a pump I can drop into the well if needed. We've  had a fair bit of snow up here in the last month or so and it has drifted around that corner of the house. Anyway, I'll have to wait another 12 days before me and the missus go south again. Then I'll hit the shops. As I haven't yet got the airbrush set up, I may use the hairysticks and the Gunze paints on my Hurc.

Chris

• Like 2

all the encouragement got me decalling tonight.

I used the 'bed them in kleer' method I used before, but I used a metal lid of a gherkin jar on the coffee machine hot plate for a hot water decal bath,  which seemed to help.

The decals are very very forgiving,  I spent an age putting the starboard codes/roundel on, to make the roundels line up from above, eventually I had to slit the decal and keep adding how water and kleer from a paintbrush.... one problem I can see with the kleer method is if you have gloosed the model with it, and put puddle to bed the decal it doesn't want to slide, so Ihad to lift with brush and slide brush under etc.  OK on the single items.  But in the end....

40387991993_733924e10d_b.jpg50620601 by losethekibble, on Flickr

47300573662_eb9c2b105b_b.jpg50620602 by losethekibble, on Flickr

33477289498_a8b4dc203c_b.jpg50620599 by losethekibble, on Flickr

The rudder is just a butt joint and has thus come off,. 

the blue is good, the red is too bright.   But, I assume the kit markings are based on L1592 as now seen in the Science Museum

hurricane_mk1_l1592_02_of_26.jpg

see here for full walkround

http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/mark_hayward/hurricane_mk1_l1592/

I did at one stage think L1592 was in the original wartime colours,

but she did a stint in Training Command , and is seen here on Horse Guards Parade in 1950 I believe

HurricaneL1952in1950HorseGuardsparade-3.

Would be an easy enough alternative scheme.   L1592 was a restored by Hawker in the 1950's,  which is why the bright roundel colours.

The walkround photos do not give an idea of how close you actually are to her in the Science Museum,  well worth a trip if you are in London.

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

.just imagine how much faster you would be with the old Airfix Hurricane 1. No interior detail to slow you down :)

all that detail to rescribe..... :whistle: 

I have a one of those stashed....   a little while back evilbay led me into temptation with a job lot of 12 Hurricane kits,  I think  I got the lot posted for £42, including two Sword fabric wing, Aoshima, Frog, Smer(Heller), Matchbox ,Academy, Revell IIc,  Revell awful 60's Mk.I,  and 1/48 old Airfix Mk.I and Hobbycraft IIC,  .... and another?  Maybe the 72 Airfix Mk.I

Anyway,  for the sake of research (and practice) doing most of the 72nd  OOB.   I think the only ones I am missing is the Kielkraft,  though a couple of  the other Airfix are built up's from my youth...

I digress....

and I must go to bed soon

@dogsbody,  if I start on blinkin record collecting I'll be here all night... 

but from when Canada's DOA were...well, great,  (ie the Something Better Change and Hardcore 81 LPs) 

before they wanted to a rock group...

for some reason though that a promo video was a good idea...  

• Like 10

As an older collector, I never really got into That D.O.A. style of music. There is a lot of 80's rock, pop and punk that just didn't work for my. It didn't make my bum hum or make my fur purr.

Those decals look good.

Chris.

Good gracious, Troy, what's come over you?!

Great to see, and it is looking pretty nice with those colorful decals on...

Working on my Monogram Typhoon is on the agenda today, otherwise I'd feel more guilty.

bob

7 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Good gracious, Troy, what's come over you?!

doing something for myself.    I actually quite like modelling,  so I should do some.   And,  if it looks good, get daughter involved, she was impressed when I show her it with decals.   I actually though it looked pretty neat,  and some positive feedback here is very appreciated.  

7 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Great to see, and it is looking pretty nice with those colorful decals on...

erm,  though  the red on the roundels really grates with me....  I may even try overpainting with some rust red....  which is not here ...  

19 hours ago, dogsbody said:

As an older collector, I never really got into That D.O.A. style of music. There is a lot of 80's rock, pop and punk that just didn't work for my. It didn't make my bum hum or make my fur purr.

same thing happened to me in the late 80's,  when the "tyranny of the beat" took over. (certainly in the UK)   There are a few bits from the dance music era I like, but really not much considering how much of it there is/was.  I felt old. 

The first two DOA albums are surprisingly slick,  I think recorded at somewhere that became famous later, and with the inimitable Chuck Biscuits drumming.  Hardcore 81 is one of the best North American albums from the early hardcore era IMO.  

Anyway.... on with the show..

I had a go at an oil wash earlier, and rubbed off some of the Sky when trying to scrub it off...  bit of a panic, redid some Sky,  didn't match.... redid the Kleer, and then did it all over, entombing some of the dust endemic here,  and  when dried later on  I  thought I'll do a bit more oil wash quickly....

half and hour of of oil washing later

46638595674_f8b026b6b2_b.jpg50620606 by losethekibble, on Flickr

shows better on the underside

33485574868_8c824a6022_b.jpg50620607 by losethekibble, on Flickr

in the background, some lighter fuel, and oil paint, the really old tubes, black and burnt umber, date from about 1973 (I know this as they are German, from a years spent in Germany then)..... the white is merely from the late 70's....

I just used lighter fuel as a solvent, applied it, wicked, scrubbed it off etc etc.... using a either black/brown, or with some white for dirty grey.

it's worked quite well, added some depth to panel lines, and added a bit of tonal modulation.  The pics are just under a little IKEA halogen light and room light BTW, so daylight may not be so good.

I intend to add some of the classic Merlin gunk on the underside.  

time to make dinner,  and ponder on the wash,  as both are in kitchen....

• Like 7

a couple more,  as I was having a closer look,  and wondered if the camera would catch it, which it has.

these show the grey wash in the panel lines, which I rather pleased with, as it avoids that hard black look, this one I tried adding some silver pencil fastener chipping, but think that would work better after a matt coat, plus the actual paint chip which is OK as it's on metal

46448006295_6a6004f9f5_b.jpg50620609 by losethekibble, on Flickr

other side, this shows the aileron emphasis better, but a chip out the green on a fabric panel, and above leading edge light...

46639817384_25f9da2dd7_b.jpg50620608 by losethekibble, on Flickr

cheers

T

• Like 9

Thank you for the comments and reactions,  gives me a bit more incentive.

Well. the roundel red bugged me,  in the photos it's looks OK, (artificial light?)  in the flesh it was far too pillar box red....

so I retrieved some paint...

32436062267_1075f2cf02_b.jpg50620610 by losethekibble, on Flickr

and repainted the red.... 

for comparison,  under natural light, repainted, Airfix decals, RAF Musuem chip and the Vallejo I used. 

I often paint a band of the Vallejo round the lid for reference

47324893582_d4345b4452_b.jpg50620611 by losethekibble, on Flickr

The upperwing seem seem to be the hardest to paint accurately, and need some touching up, and/or another coat. 

coat of matt varnish soon I hope.

cheers

T

• Like 3

a coat of W&N Galeria matt varnish

this is diffuse natural light

46471887365_e59d415ccb_b.jpg50620614 by losethekibble, on Flickr

this with the halogen later on plus some natural light

47334121592_aa55db8b85_b.jpg50620615 by losethekibble, on Flickr

I think need a another thin coat, as i missed some bits.

I am amazed at how well the oil wash worked,  given this is the first time I have ever tried the technique.  

this period colour shot gives a good idea of the TLS colours,  and in comparison I'm happy how the above has come out

3052829500_f050f88a61_b.jpgSpitfire in England by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

this a pre war Hurricane,   the Spitfire above is a Life image and not a private one like below,   and this looks a little washed out (look at the grass) 

2527541716_bdf7872519_o.jpgHurricane by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

the Hurricane image does show an interetsing contrast between the fabric and metal on the wing...  maybe a slightly glossier varnish on the metal parts...

cheers

T

• Like 10

That's an interesting shot of the Hurri. How common was it to have no white in the roundals and no tail flash pre-war?

Also a point for the diorama guys, note that it's been manually pushed backwards into its parking spot as proven by the tail wheel position.

Ian

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

and this looks a little washed out (look at the grass) 

You haven't seen my lawn during the middle of one of our scorching dry summers.

Chris

• Haha 1