Arado 196 help required

JOCKNEY

My daughter is building the Heller 1/72 Arado 196, and wishes to build the Rumanian version, does anyone know what colour to paint it please, the instructions are suitably vague !

cheers Pat

Pat,

Photos of actual operational Romanian Ar-196's seem to be pretty rare. From the written sources I could find, they were probably finished in the standard RLM72/73/65 color overall on the upper surfaces, but I have no idea what color- impossible to tell from a b&w photo. Hopefully somebody will come forward with better information, but my guess would be the standard Luftwaffe seaplane colors.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected paint code
  • Like 1

I'll go pull out my book on Romanian Aircraft of WW2, but I believe it would be 72/73/65.

Edit: 72/73/65 is indeed the way to go. It might be worth noting that only 2 of the order of 30 aircraft were removed from their crates before the Soviet occupation began.

Edited by Tweener
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Courageous said:

If I may ask a related question. I'm wishing to convert one of my 196 A's to a 196 B, would the scheme be the same?

Also, cockpit colour for these types as I've seen conflicting information?

Stuart

Stuart,

The Ar-196A's had twin floats and the Ar-196B had a central float and two outrigger floats. See the link below- scroll down to see photos of the Ar-196B.

Mike

http://www.histaviation.com/ar_196.html

• Like 1

Sorry, Stuart- I never know what one of you fellows  already has archived, so my apology for the redundancy. In reading about the Ar-196B and when they were delivered, I think the interiors would have been  RLM02 with the instrument panels in RLM66; the switch to RLM 66 for cockpit interiors didn't occur until well after they  were in service. IIRC, production  might have been resumed later in the war and those airframes might have been finished in RLM66 for the interiors. External scheme would have been the standard RLM72/73/65, and I think the few that were received by the Bulgarians were repainted  in a single color overall, but I haven't found what that color might be. I have posted a link below with some good photos, hopefully you don't already have them bookmarked, but they are all exterior pics except for one. If I come across anything else, I will be sure to post it.

Mike

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/search/label/Arado%20196

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gents @72modeler @Tweener @Graham Boak

Thank you very much for the info, the Heller instructions would have you believe it's painted "Olive" and a single colour.

I had thought other Rumanian aircraft were an overall dark green, but it's good to know this for future builds as I have an IAR 81 in the stash

cheers Pat

I believe that a single topside colour would be possible. Unfortunately I'm unable to consult my Ullmann reference right now but I seem to recall him saying that that some Ar196s had either the 72 or 73 as a single topside colour with no splinter scheme. Perhaps someone else can verify.

Andy

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Sorry, Stuart- I never know what one of you fellows  already has archived, so my apology for the redundancy.

No need for apology, the link would be useful for others.

RLM02 looks like the most likely candidate for the interior colour, just need to pin down the single colour for a possible prototype B.

Stuart

Some Romanian types did have single green upper surfaces, notably prewar Bf109E and Polish types.  I believe that the museum Bulgarian Arado has a single green paint scheme, but I don't know how original it is.

Luftwaffe types have often been interpreted as a single colour because of the low contrast when new or on poor quality photos, so any unsupported claims should be in doubt.  But in this case lacking good photos either way no-one can be absolutely sure.  But most wartime transfers were in standard Luftwaffe schemes, and by 1944 I doubt that people were thinking of distinct export schemes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

No need for apology, the link would be useful for others.

RLM02 looks like the most likely candidate for the interior colour, just need to pin down the single colour for a possible prototype B.

Stuart

I think I read somewhere that the single-color scheme was either RLM 72 or 73. which makes sense, but I couldn't find anything definite either way. Bet if you looked in an old hangar in what was Rumania, you might find a can of whatever they used piled in the back with other abandoned WW2 stuff! Bottom line Stuart, who's gonna know- and if they do and come forward, you strip off the decals and re-paint it if you guessed wrong! (Yes, I know- I'm one sick puppy!)

Mike

• Haha 2

My daughter has decided it will look "cooler" in RLM72 (H243) which matches the picture on the side of the box !

IMG_4305

I will of course post her progress on here.

many thanks Pat

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

My daughter has decided it will look "cooler" in RLM72 (H243) which matches the picture on the side of the box !

IMG_4305

I will of course post her progress on here.

many thanks Pat

You are bringing her up right- always start with the classics, I say!

Mike

• Like 2

Romanian Aircraft would tend to have been painted in a single topside color, so I would say you are making the right choice. Just remember that the bottom of the wing tips (and possibly the engine cowling) would be yellow, and that there would be a yellow band around the rear fuselage as well.

As for Bulgarian Colors, I don't know much, but Carmel Attard at Modelling Madness has finished a huge number of Bulgarian, Hungarian, and Romanian aircraft and would know better than anyone I can think of. I don't know how easily he can be reached, but he may have commented on the colors in one of his many articles.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

The topic of Romanian and Bulgarian Ar-196's is pretty obscure but one note may be of use.  While the advice on yellow under wing tips and bottom of cowling is sound, I recall that the rear fuselage band in the Sud-Ost area, or maybe Black Sea, was supposed to be white.  Others may know.more....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jimmaas said:

The topic of Romanian and Bulgarian Ar-196's is pretty obscure but one note may be of use.  While the advice on yellow under wing tips and bottom of cowling is sound, I recall that the rear fuselage band in the Sud-Ost area, or maybe Black Sea, was supposed to be white.  Others may know.more....

Wasn't the white band for aircraft in the Mediterranean and North Africa?

1 minute ago, Sturmovik said:

Wasn't the white band for aircraft in the Mediterranean and North Africa?

Yes it was, but also showed up in the Black Sea area.  I have wondered if there was some connection, like an anticipated linkup.

• Thanks 1

Hi Pat,

The small Czech company Kora has a decal set Ar 196 in Romanian colours:

s-l500.jpg 

But maybe you are already tired with uncertainties about those rare Romanian Arado you may choose also Japaneese

images_kora_aces_72335.jpg

Bulgarian

DEC4865A.jpg

False Frech

KORD72333.jpg?t=

False Britt

DEC72338.jpg

And some others liveries:

image012.jpg

Bulgaria after taking side of Soviets

Arado-Ar-196-RBAF-161st-Waterplane-Sqn-w

There are some shows from build of Ar-196 in 1/32 available in Net. I used them to see colours annd details of Ar-196 for my 1/72 model two years ago...

I hope it can help :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are welcome!

Moreover I have found a set af most of those variants in one:

https://www.modelimex.com/172-arado-ar-196-wwii-wet-decals-prsc72119

Regards

J-W

P.S.

the error in schemes attached to those decals - Romanian fin colours should have yellow not white

Edited by JWM
added PS

21 hours ago, larumivi1951 said:

I have this profile made by Richard J. Caruana:

Hvid%201.jpg

Rudolph

Thanks Rudolph really appreciated, I think that's how Heller intended the kit to be finished.

Sorry to ask another question everyone but the fin colours of blue, yellow & red, any suggestions of what Humbrol colours these might be ?

cheers Pat

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Sorry to ask another question everyone but the fin colours of blue, yellow & red, any suggestions of what Humbrol colours these might be ?

Pat,  

I am using Humbrol 60 (red), 24 (yellow) and 25 (dark blue) . 109 is too light for blue.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2