Spitfire Vb, Biggin Hill, 1941

airfix48thscalespitfirevb2019-03-10_15ec<

My normal compromise between accuracy, realism, and getting it done this side of eternity...

I used satin varnish to obtain a semi-gloss appearance as if the paintwork is damp from having just emerged from cloud, which the grey-green scheme suits — the ‘Indian summer’ of the Battle of Britain being a year in the past by the time of this aircraft.

More:

https://everardcunion.com/plastic-models-2/more-plastic-models-korea-and-wwii/#EnglishChannel

• Like 19

21 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

Would look even better if it was in a stand with an Fw 190A-3 next to it and banking to the left.

Agreed, although nowadays I use 'invisible' thread (often too visible) rather than stands.

Unfortunately, I have broken a personal record with this kit: The day after I finished it, I moved it to my remote storage location because the propeller spinner fell to the floor. I broke a long-standing promise to myself never to look for a dropped part unless I follow it down with my eyes and can see it straight away. Nevertheless, frustrated beyond imagining, I spent time grovelling on the floor with a bright flashlight to no avail. (A couple of weeks ago I found the missing tailplane of my 1/48th scale BAC Lightning, which vanished nearly ten years ago!)

I do many difficult things, from flying hang gliders to computer programming and serious mountain biking, but plastic modelling is I think most difficult of all.

Edited by Lootenant Aloominum
Commas, spelling

After moving much furniture and using a portable lamp, I found the spinner in hidden a place where it was not visible prior to moving the furniture. Moreover, I do not understand how it got there just by dropping and bouncing. It is almost as if these parts behave like sub-atomic particles, ‘tunneling’ wave-like through other objects, to re-emerge solid in the new location.

Anyway, here is the real thing in flight:
spitfirevbinflight.jpg

And here is mine in black-and-white:
airfix24thscalespitfirevb2019-03-12_40ec

The photo of real thing is without the strakes on the upper wing surfaces and also without yellow strips on the outer leading edges, which might indicate that it is one of several mark one Spitfires fitted experimentally with 20 millimetre cannon in 1940. Anybody know?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve27752 said:

Nice one, I really like the 'Clear' props on flying airplanes.

They are a pain to do, but a lot easier than adding an electric motor and battery...

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Nope, that's a Spitfire Vb, RK6923, from 92 Squadron, taken on 19 May 1941. The yellow leading edge was ordered added after 15th August 1941.

OK, thanks. I updated my web page with that info.

• Like 1