Recon - Airfix 1/72 Canberra PR9

rafalbert

Hi Guys,

First up I am building the often maligned Airfix Canberra PR9, an aircraft I love and miss seeing in the air. I have been itching to build this for years so am delighted that this GB is taking place. I will be building oob, the hemp version being my favourite.

Dave

IMG_20190310_180301

• Like 7

welcome along Dave and nice to see another Canberra in the build, I wonder if we will see more?

Good luck with he build, hope it's a trouble free one and do look forward to seeing her in the gallery. 

• 2 weeks later...

Always like seeing a Canberra kit getting some attention and while the Airfix kit isn't a perfect replica it seems to be the best available choice for the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

The cockpit is done, it is totally inaccurate for PR9s (except I believe the early ones,) but it is quite nicely detailed. The sprue gates are massive and require a lot of care to remove the parts, definitely an early Hornby effort. Still, it is a Canberra so I am not complaining.

IMG_20190331_115316

• Like 2

Airfix's rather odd method of cockpit/fuselage construction leaves a bit of a step, so out with the filler.

IMG_20190403_172115

Once rubbed down, it blends in with the fuselage contours and a little rescribing should match the (deep) panel lines.

IMG_20190407_181041

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, as with the SU-25, my free time is massively limited at the moment but have made a little progress this weekend. The main parts have been assembled (yet more filling and cleaning to do), but she is starting to look like a Canberra.

IMG_20190616_181123

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well there is no chance of me getting any of these finished on time now, but things are moving. The old girl has a coat of primer on now.

IMG_20190704_182049

• Like 2