Ryanair wipes up 20 seaguls on landing

HP42

https://tw.tv.yahoo.com/storyful-sg/ryanair-plane-hits-flock-seagulls-143709709.html

Doesn't look like much on first viewing but it looks like it go about 20 of the critters and a double engine ingestion to boot. Quite a red puff can be seen comping out of the stbd engine.

I wonder they might quietly put little seagull 'kill markings' under the pilot's window?  :shrug: Must have a been noticeable at the time with a quite a few bangs and a possible change in engine note?

Happened in Barcelona apparently. What's the procedure for this aircraft now? Will the engines need a full overhaul or would they be able to carry on after an inspection?

When coming to land in Nairobi in an RAF Tristar we noticed huge black `balls' whipping past the windows and then a dull thud followed by a blood trail over the top of the wing ...... upon landing heard there was quite a large hole in the leading edge inboard of the engine with a vulture wedged in it!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 3

Yes, the flying rats are a problem, the runway soaks up the heat during the day so it's nice and warm to sit on during the night.  The next morning they do not appreciate being moved off.  That aircraft was the first to land that morning and took the hit x 20. 🛬

You have no idea of the mess birds make in an engine not to mention the smell. It's pretty gruesome. Worse was the engine with a man's arm it inhaled. 

Bird strikes can be scary. On take off once a bird slapped the canopy. I saw him coming but there's nothing you can do. No damage luckily except to the bird. I did duck though and it wasn't a duck.

Another day a whole murder of crows lifted off ahead of me on take off. I banked hard left and just cleared some wires provoking a shout from an experienced and paranoid skydiver about the wires. I pointed out the effing crows. 

Shooting a couple of crows and hanging them on a barbed wire fence always worked. 

They're not stupid, unlike Seagulls. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, tonyot said:

When coming to land in Nairobi in an RAF Tristar we noticed huge black `balls' whipping past the windows and then a dull thud followed by a blood trail over the top of the wing ...... upon landing heard there was quite a large hole in the leading edge inboard of the engine with a vulture wedged in it!!

Cheers

Tony

I recall seeing a picture of B707 or B727 that collected one on its nose cone. Passed straight through it ..... and the pressure bulkhead ..... and the control panel ..... between the pilots ..... and finished buried in the after cockpit bulkhead. They can sure ruin your day.

Given some of Ryan Air's money-making wheezing wheezes (standing posts instead of seats, anyone?), I thought from the headline this was about changes to Ryanair in-flight cuisine.  If so, more power to their elbow: there are plenty in Cornwall they can have.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Haha 3

In terms of what happens next to the aircraft there will be a very thorough clean up and a whole raft of inspections and checks carried out to the engines and airframe a laid out in Chapter 5 of the aircraft maintenance manual. Its not impossible for birds to pass clean through an engine and leave absolutely no trace of damage whatsoever, I've seen this more than once, but something the size of gulls are at minimum have bent a few fan blades if not worse. If the bird has gone through the core of the engine and not just down the bypass duct then there will be a requirement for horoscope inspections to check the various stages of LP and HP compressor. Again the AMM will lay down very specific and clear limits for quantity of blades damaged and size of damage.

Oh and as has been pointed out already the smell that disassembled gulls leave in a hot engine is something that will turn the strongest of stomach's!

Eng

• Like 4

Then there's the apocryphal story about British Rail and the chicken.....

Apprently BR were testing the windscreens of their new HS125 loco to withstand damge from objects thrown from bridges.

So they borrowed a pneumatic cannon from Rolls Royce - which was designed to fire chicken carcasses to simulate birdstrikes into aeroengines to test their strength and containment.

Anyway, all was set up - the cannon was primed, the chicken was loaded and ............the gun shot the chicken at the HS125 test windshield....

The chicken went straight through the armoured windshield and buried itself into the bulkhead in front of the diesel engine.... :analintruder:

Much head scratching - followed by a phone call to RR to make sure that the BR engineers had got all the pressure settings correct etc...

After much discussion - one of the RR contacts asked.....'You did defrost the chicken, didn't you.???

Other versions of the story are available.....

Ken

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, EwenS said:

“Horoscope inspections”???? predictive text strikes again!!!

No, not predictive text, a camera or bore sight inspection, aka NDT.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:12 PM, dogsbody said:

It's not like there was a shortage of seagulls in the world. Soon the craphawks will be up here for the summer. Squawking and crapping everywhere.

Chris

Ha ha ...worst place ever for shitehawks...Holland block HMS Osprey next to the Naafi....used to sit on the Naafi roof ruining my off watch lie in😡

• Haha 1

l remember seeing a documentary about the problems the USAF has on Guam with Albatrosses . If l remember correctly they had some specially trained dogs who would patrol the runways to chase the birds off. Imagine hitting or sucking one those! they are huge compared to the gulls 

hacker 

Edited by hacker

10 hours ago, hacker said:

l remember seeing a documentary about the problems the USAF has on Guam with Albatrosses . If l remember correctly they had some specially trained dogs who would patrol the runways to chase the birds off. Imagine hitting or sucking one those! they are huge compared to the gulls 

hacker 

Lol clearly never been to Portland then ....the original one....its like 'The land that time forgot' I tells 'ee... pterodactyls....sabre toothed tigers ....not joking safeguard 12 clips🤣

Edited by junglierating
  • Haha 1

Have had to remove the carcass of a bird from both the leading edge and the flight deck of some of her majesty's finest,the smell is indescribable not to mention the mess.Have done loads of skin repairs too.Back in the eighties I worked for Rolls Royce at Hatfield on the test beds,we fired defrosted chickens into Jem engines to see what would happen,the engine should contain any broken blades or if not,chuck it all out the back end ,great fun ☺.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A Birdstrike can be very damaging. A few years back Red Arrows Hawk taking part in display over Dartmouth had a bird strike (Seagull), had to break off immediately and high tail to Exeter for precautionary emergency landing