Lightning P1A Options

will2017

I can see lots of different ideas for those, who like me, want a Lightning P1A to build.

I've seen excellent conversions for large scale (i.e >1:72) Lightnings, and obv the Whirlykit option in resin at 1:72, though I'd have to save up for that one.

For the benefit of the uninitiated (i.e me), what are the options if you want to model the P1A in 1:72 - I'm quite happy to hack up a base kit, just that I'm not sure what I need to do then..

The Merlin one is rougher than a Badgers.

I built a FROG one with Airfix  feathers and an Aeroclub intake duct. The FROG tail is undersize, but Aeroclub did a metal jetpipe ring, you would need to build up the fuselage to fit.

6 hours ago, will2017 said:

I might find myself trying to convert an existing kit..... I'd love one of the three mentioned, but they're like hens teeth clamped around unicorn eggs.

Thanks for the help.

Wow! Big job, but an interesting project.

John

The Aeroclub conversion was a vac fuselage basically and needed a donor kit for the other bits. The P1A flew with the straight and cambered leading edge wings so there are a few options on donor kits for parts.

Worth trying to get an Aeroclub set. Probably model shows might be a good place to look out for one. Not particularly desirable as a collectors item which might make it a bit more of a possibility.

Last time I saw an Aeroclub one on Ebay it went for £37! I wondered if the guy who bought it realised that he would have to buy another kit for the wings and tail.

I think that I saw that Olimp Pro-resin were going to release one in 1/72 and somewhere on Britmodeller several years ago somebody scratchbuilt one in 1/48 (I think)

Here's mine from the Aeroclub kit with Airfix F3 wings and tail

P1.jpg

John

• Like 9

Olimp/Pro Resin have 1:72 resin kits of the Short S.B.5, both early and late configurations. Interesting steps in Lightning development.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2