Monogram 1/48 Heinkel 111H-6 Torpedo Bomber.

Brad

welcome along Brad, nice to see one of these in the build, I had sort of forgotten about them.

I don't know the model but hopefully it'll be a trouble free build for you, good luck with it.

• Like 1

Made a small start tonight with steps 1 and 2. There are seat belts molded onto the pilots seat, but I might just put some replacements over them which will look good through the big glass house.

5ugcRmi.jpg

4tvkUxy.jpg

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Mottlemaster said:

The He111 has a small cockpit compartment for a bomber so lots of detail in a small space . Do you get a crew in this kit ?.

Cheers

Alistair

No there's no crew figures.

Mucking around with the interior clear parts and some other bits and pieces. I haven't even bothered to waste any paint on the interior of the fuselage. I have built the 1/32 Heinkel and you can't see anything inside that when finished, you will see even less in the 1/48 kit.

4spotQ8.jpg

Fuselage glues together good enough, but it will require some sanding.

85TegIu.jpg?1

• Like 5

While the He.111 always sits within my definition of a traditional bomber and particularly when involved in the Battle of Britain there's no denying it fits into the torpedo bomber category equaly well. Looks to be a well detailled kit from what progress you've shown so far :goodjob:

• Like 2

Yeh the detail is pretty reasonable. It could use some better MG's though. The tail fits nicely with minimal clean up.

aLTjpsy.jpg?1

I started to glue the upper and lower wing halves together but decided to do it progressively.

0z2QHRO.jpg?1

..because you have this issue with the areas around the engine nacelle fit. You can see if you just glue it in place, there will be noticeable gaps in the fit, not only from wing to nacelle, but wing to fuselage. I will have to cut the locating tabs and secure it as close as possible to lined up with super glue to reduce any gap filling.

epS47Ml.jpg?1

• Like 3

eek!! that is a bit of a gap, I like the method you're using for gluing the wings together, I agree it's the only real way to do it with gaps like this, have and do use the same method myself.

• Like 1

This is interesting to me too. I have three Monogram He 111H_6 kits. Does your kit have two propeller types. The H6 had wider blades than those on the H4. I think the H4 was used on the Artic convoys while the H6 was used on the Med convoys. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Greg Law said:

This is interesting to me too. I have three Monogram He 111H_6 kits. Does your kit have two propeller types. The H6 had wider blades than those on the H4. I think the H4 was used on the Artic convoys while the H6 was used on the Med convoys. 

No, only one set of props in this kit.

• 3 weeks later...

Still plugging away on this beast. The inset for the external torpedo racks fits well enough, just need a little sanding and some more super glue to make it acceptable.

qXEj9Is.jpg?1

Engine nacelles on the other had, are going to be a bit of a hand full. Now my previous work on lining up the wings properly has decreased the gap, especially on the upper surfaces which just need a little sand paper to make it all look good. As you can see the under surface fit is where the problem is. It will require some thicker super glue and some caving to make fit. So it looks like I'm off to the hardware store today. It's pretty much the same on both sides, just this one is the worst.

SR7h1cB.jpg?1

oQ1DRci.jpg?1

• Like 6

This kit deserves patience. Wing root cross section must be fixed during the wing assembly, otherwise it's possible to cause problems in wing-fuselage joint

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cema_ga said:

This kit deserves patience. Wing root cross section must be fixed during the wing assembly, otherwise it's possible to cause problems in wing-fuselage joint

The wing to fuselage isn't too bad.

44 minutes ago, Brad said:

The wing to fuselage isn't too bad. 

Really depends on how wings assembled. Also, up and bottom parts of wings haven't solid joint in the wing root area, and its not enough area to glue. If you plane to touch your model, and don't want to hear "click" of wing after painting - it better to reinforce the joint. 

I finished one H-6 two month ago in the other forum's GB. I will put more pictures after winning (hopefully) the GB in May.

IMG-7686.jpg

• Like 5

Looks good mate. It seems I have the opposite problem. One wing fitted almost perfectly, the other fitted nicely on the lower surface but left a gaping hole on the upper. Having to shim he gap, will have more pics soon.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brad said:

One wing fitted almost perfectly, the other fitted nicely on the lower surface but left a gaping hole on the upper.

Thank You!

I had similar "feature" in my build. 

You can try to find the better fitting "profile" of the wing root and fix it with the piece of styrene sheet and superglue. I did it on both wings (one fitting better, one less) just to make the structure more solid. After this - regular glue/putty/sanding is enough. Unfortunately, I haven't pictures of this stage of my build.

• Like 1

Righty-o, worked on the engine nacelles, fortunately the fact there was more plastic than needed meant that I could carve it down to fit. Once the super glue was dry I rescribed the panel lines. I can hide any screw ups with some nice heavy exhaust staining!

DHtbfaQ.jpg

Much better.

9xoS9vJ.jpg

With the engine nacelles all fixed up, time to fit the wings. Look at that, almost a perfect fit. I've run some super glue into the joints so they are pretty good, even though one side looks like there is a gap, it's filled with glue. I reckon I've go these wings on nicely.

0CRaiwi.jpg

Well, that's not good.

ufS7lbN.jpg

I hate using filler, so it's time to break out some evergreen and super glue.

7Q9tcej.jpg

While that's drying, might as well fit the radiators. Well look at that, they fit better than the ones on the real aircraft.

PPOr9w4.jpg

Nailed it. I will have to do some rescribing, but that's no biggie.

gZOBwce.jpg

• Like 4