1/32 Henschel hs129 B-2 Completed

Mottlemaster

Well this has been a rollercoaster of a thread so far. Started off looking at those 'instruction' sketches and feared the worst for you, although the painting diagrams are lovely, then looking at your work with the rudder pedals and cockpit parts made me think this was going to be a thing of beauty, until seeing those fuselage halves! :blink: You look to have tamed them into submission though.

• Thanks 1

On 22/03/2019 at 16:55, Col. said:

Well this has been a rollercoaster of a thread so far. Started off looking at those 'instruction' sketches and feared the worst for you, although the painting diagrams are lovely, then looking at your work with the rudder pedals and cockpit parts made me think this was going to be a thing of beauty, until seeing those fuselage halves! :blink: You look to have tamed them into submission though.

Thanks Col. yes the battle of the fuselage halves has been won (i think) but the war is far from over . Next is the battle of the wings :poo:

Ihave now got the fuselage halves together

one last pic of cockpit and armour hinge assemly in place ...hope this helps any one in the future travelling this bumpy road ,

47412789882_aaa3b322aa_b.jpgP1020994 - Copy by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

47412800622_e1346d931b_b.jpgP1020995 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

had to do some sanding back of front bulkhead ,instrument panel and inside of fuselage half to get sides to meet .

Bought some Zap-A-Cap gapfilling super glue at last weekends show in yeovil . Let me tell everyone it was needed .

32523966747_bd851e899f_b.jpgP1020997 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

32523966717_e7c87668a4_b.jpgP1020998 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

40499702873_a8425f027b_b.jpgP1020999 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Have some serious sanding to do now and yards of re-scribing  also one big thumb print to sand off where i glued my self to the kit .For 5 mins we were as one !!!!

• Like 8

That look great, well done with the cockpit. :thumbsup:

Gap filling Super Glue....or any Super Glue is mans best friend with resin. I've lost count of the number of times I've glue myself to a model with the stuff. The worse is when you glue a small part on, then go check on it a little later and find it's gone and after a little searching finds it now attached to your had/arm or onsite bit of clothing!! Else you apply some glue then proceed to drop it on the bench/ground!

God I love building resin models!

• Haha 2

On 25/03/2019 at 21:18, trickyrich said:

Gap filling Super Glue....or any Super Glue is mans best friend with resin. I've lost count of the number of times I've glue myself to a model with the stuff. The worse is when you glue a small part on, then go check on it a little later and find it's gone and after a little searching finds it now attached to your had/arm or onsite bit of clothing!! Else you apply some glue then proceed to drop it on the bench/ground!

Useing Super glue certainly keeps the mind focust as i find the precise positioning of parts and holding them there in that position until the glue grabs the most nervracking part .How many times i have sanded ,marked and done 10 or more dry fit tests to get a perfect fit to only position the part slightly wrong with the glue grabbing before it could be adjusted 🙁

Some more progress .

Join now sanded and most panel lines re scribed

40539050563_d60fd9fa22_b.jpgP1030003 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

tail pins made os copper tube

47452264772_18668e8bce_b.jpgP1030002 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

47452265772_737cd76fe3_b.jpgP1030001 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

47452265502_ec394ef177_b.jpgP1030004 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Mk 103 cannon pod placed in position . Will open spent cartridge port .

40539049803_b09a59a7ac_b.jpgP1030005 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

47452265122_c8ba35a94c_z.jpgP1030006 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

40539049033_97840826c2_b.jpgP1030007 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Fuselage is almost complete . Hope to do this by the end of today

Thanks for looking

Alistair

• Like 7

looking good....I know just how much work is involved to get to this stage and you are doing great, well done so far.

Those little bits a detail are a bit easier to do in this scale, looking forward to seeing her with the wings on.

• Thanks 1

I have been waiting for some bits to arive to help with wings . now the brass tube and more epoxy glue is here so no excuse to hold back.

Some pics of where im upto

46622132715_45c735ce4d_b.jpgP1030014 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

Gun pod in position

have used some copper tube for upper 20mm canon and lower 7.92mm machine gun

46622139485_3c29826cba_k.jpgP1030013 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

46622139655_5f35b786e2_b.jpgP1030012 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

the inside of the wings seem to have had resin applied by spatula applied to strengthen them .,neadless to say this hand applied resin is a PITA as loads needs to be sanded away

40571592643_515fa99a3b_b.jpgP1030011 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

This area needs to be removed so that the wheel well has some chance of fitting

46622139755_0a0d7d804f_z.jpgP1030010 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

46622140055_ece2eeae35_b.jpgP1030009 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

46622140375_371598e2f8_b.jpgP1030008 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

47452264642_1436cb345f_b.jpgP1030008 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

46622246725_03f420897f_b.jpgP1030018 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

I have used the Gorilla 5min epoxy in the twin syringe before and its fantastic ,easy to get two eual amounts and i wasted notheing from either tube ,

tube now cut and running through fuselage  but not glurd yet

40571704573_1dc2e1e268_b.jpgP1030019 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

There is minimal contact area between top and bottom wing section and fuselage so all this reinforcement is needed . going to try and set up jig to get dihedral and keep things in position until glue dries.

So this weekend is wing weekend

• Like 6

great work there Alistair. That extra resin is a common feature on Collect-Aire models, seems to be done later.

Industrial grade brass fittings, perfect for a beast like this.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2019 at 22:55, trickyrich said:

Industrial grade brass fittings, perfect for a beast like this.

Yes Rich always need a good stocl of brass tube to keep the bits together  Those wing joints are going to be under stress for years ......i hope

The upper wing sections are now attached . I am pleased with the result and i have not boxed myself in with the attachment of lower parts as far as i can see now . The lower parts are going to take a lot of shims and filler to get looking good but i wanted any major sanding to take place underside and front edge .

The plastic card jigs to get correct wing dihedral  are now glued to wing .

47547344301_731487e507_k.jpgP1030025 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

47547363921_aee8a8f290_k.jpgP1030023 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

40581445083_3d56305c77_k.jpgP1030021 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

46823868404_0ed30cc8bf_k.jpgP1030020 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

None of the buildsi have found show how wings were attached so if this works anyone who comes along in the years to come here are some and Good luck.

Now to get the lower sections on

• Like 5

nice work with the jigs, I had to do sometime similar with my X-15.

It's amazing the tricks you pickup building models like this, something you'd never learn on plastic models.

Awesome work! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crikey Alistair your doing a sterling job, but it does look a bit of a trial, your mojo levels must be off the richter scale to maintain impetus, 

Edited by Hewy
  • Thanks 1

On 06/04/2019 at 13:18, Valkyrie said:

Good work, what make is your RLM 66 please?

Thanks Valkyrie .

Infact iv used two types of RLM 66  Mr color 116 for most cockpit parts and a tamiya TS-4 german Grey for rear armor as i forgot to paint it earlier and coulnt be botherd to get the airbrush going . I have quite a few interior parts from Luftwaffe aircraft and the RLM grey does very a little some much darker than others .

Cheers

Alistair

Just caught up with this one and I salute your skills, determination and bravery.

Interesting to see the size of the beast alongside what I take to be the Tamiya Storch! Mojo preserver or practice piece for the desert squiggly pattern?

ATB
Rick

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

Crikey Alistair your doing a sterling job, but it does look a bit of a trial, your mojo levels must be off the richter scale to maintain impetus, 

Thanks Hewy . Im determind that this one wont end up not finished . Now the wings are on i feel that i have done the worst parts . For mojo killing kit i would still put the Eduard 1/48 Bf 110 at the top of my list :banghead:

8 hours ago, Spad said:

Just caught up with this one and I salute your skills, determination and bravery.

Interesting to see the size of the beast alongside what I take to be the Tamiya Storch! Mojo preserver or practice piece for the desert squiggly pattern?

ATB
Rick

Thank you Rick . For a twin engine its small ,notmuch larger than a Me 109 . The contrast between this kit and the Tamiya could not be greater nor the desighn of the actual aircraft .  Going to do some practice squigges on plastic card before i move on to the Storch . Changing from one kit to the other requires huge change in approach .Everything with the storch is fine and delecate ,only the finest swipe with fin sanding stick .

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

...Now the wings are on i feel that i have done the worst parts...

I hope so! :blink: Great results so far Alistair and your work will make for an impressive model in the end.

• Thanks 1

The lower wing parts are now attached . It took the whole weekend of tweeking and countless dryfits . I am very pleased with the result as when i first started to realize the mismatch between wings and fuselage i thought this area might be where i ran aground .  first pic shows top joint 

47571400791_503b2c64e6_b.jpgP1030037 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

front shims sandd down

47571400951_ae9f1e7180_b.jpgP1030036 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

bottom wing joint . The wheel bays are just reting on the wing ,not in position

47571401231_1683e4906e_b.jpgP1030034 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

The next problem to sortout is the gap between the wheelbay and under wing . One wheel bay is 3mm shorter than the other laeving a difficult void to fill .

47571401711_69d8d2d469_b.jpgP1030033 by Alistair Pearce, on Flickr

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Nice work, and a nice reference for future builders too...

Is it possible to determine the difference between the wheelbays and with some creative cutting and sanding making the two parts equal before attempting to fill the void? 

the wing joins look good, and the front shims a clever idea.

For the nacelle gap I'd try build up that section on the nacelle using some scrap resin, then shape to suit nacelle. Once that's done start to profile to suit the wing. Using CA cement will make this process nice a quick plus you won't have to worry about filler shrinkage and the additional mess. 

Should be a fairly simple quick fix. 

On 3/15/2019 at 3:30 AM, Mottlemaster said:

Itching to get started i have assembled the resin parts 

Hello, I am relatively new here and struggling to find any info/details about how to remove resin parts from their resin base, and some searches using different terms has drawn a blank on all the forums I am a member of. What I have found, is about full resin kits, something called gundum or war blah-blah or other, which really does not apply to 48 scale pitot tubes.

Anyway, can you give me a quick breakdown of what tools I should use to remove the casting block from the parts. I have also a nice set of resin nozzles for my F-18F, but I am terrified of destroying them just trying to get them free from the base. I have tiny saws/scribers from tamiya, but that does not inspire much confidence as well. I would put them on my Dewalt miter saw, but I like my fingers. A coping saw also seemed an options, but I would rather know the "right tool" and the "right way".

Thanks, and sorry to interject,

Anthony stalker6recon

2 hours ago, Stalker6Recon said:

Hello, I am relatively new here and struggling to find any info/details about how to remove resin parts from their resin base, and some searches using different terms has drawn a blank on all the forums I am a member of. What I have found, is about full resin kits, something called gundum or war blah-blah or other, which really does not apply to 48 scale pitot tubes.

Anyway, can you give me a quick breakdown of what tools I should use to remove the casting block from the parts. I have also a nice set of resin nozzles for my F-18F, but I am terrified of destroying them just trying to get them free from the base. I have tiny saws/scribers from tamiya, but that does not inspire much confidence as well. I would put them on my Dewalt miter saw, but I like my fingers. A coping saw also seemed an options, but I would rather know the "right tool" and the "right way".

Thanks, and sorry to interject,

Anthony stalker6recon

Hi Anthony, welcome along.

You've sort to come to the right spot a few of us here build a few resin models......me I sort live in an environment of perpetual resin dust !!

Unfortunately bedtime in my part of the world but I will post you some info tomorrow, best to say for me a Dremel Micro is my fav toy for resin models. I've got about 8 (or more, lost count) builds scattered around the GB section past and present. If you want, feel free to PM me if you don't want to ask questions in a thread, I'm full of useful and not so useful info on resin models, 1/48th and 1/32nd flying things are my specialty but I do build other things as well.

In the meantime have a wee look through the threads in this GB I ran a few years back, there's some really good stuff in there;

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/forum/517-non-injected-moulded-group-build/

...and this one one of my last builds, there maybe some stuff of interest in there;

opps sorry to hijack your thread Alistair!

56 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

opps sorry to hijack your thread Alistair! 

Repeat, I will follow up via PM. Feel free to delete the unrelated bits, if that is an option, my feelings won't be hurt. Also, if you have some tips/tricks, I am all 👀 's, unless you want to audio stream something, then I am all 👂' s.....

Thanks,

Anthony

1 hour ago, Silenoz said:

and further some sanding paper (preferably waterproof) and sanding sticks...

When useing sand paper use in a large tray of water to keep dust down and your paper free of dust .

I use a combination of saw for 95% of casting block and sand paper to remove last 5%

For small parts made of soft resin a scalpel is all that is needed

When sanding keep an eye on final point of casting block and alter direction to reduce uneven sanding bias .

cheers

Alistair

• Like 3