Just popping out for a quick Ein: Revell 1/72 Fokker EIII

Hi All

As an aside to my Gannet, I thought I'd try out my new airbrush on something small and simple.

DSCF7667.jpg

There are about as many parts for this as in the Gannet cockpit, straight simple masking, £2 online auction.

What's not to like?

Sub assemblies went together no bother

DSCF7732.jpg

I used the Grey Stynylrez and followed the instructions on the bottle, to whit 0.5mm or larger nozzle (I used a 0.4mm as it was that or the 0.2mm), between 20-30psi (I used 25psi), sprayed from a distance of 4-6".

It seemed like far too much pressure as the paint was bouncing about all over the place, so I knocked it back to about 12-15psi and moved in to about 3".

Coverage was good with hardly any movement on the paint trigger, and I screwed in the end cap to restrict it so I didn't soak the surface.

It seemed to dry on the tip quite often, every thirty seconds or so, but a wipe with a tissue brought it back.

And here's the result.

DSCF7734.jpg

Further investigation required with actual colours.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

I'll be following this, as I have a bit of a soft spot for the early ww1 aircraft, plus I am always keen to try and better understand the use of airbrushes

• Like 1

Hi All

On 3/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, clive_t said:

I'll be following this, as I have a bit of a soft spot for the early ww1 aircraft, plus I am always keen to try and better understand the use of airbrushes

Hi Clive, I hope to understand a bit more about them too. There's only so many Y'Tube tutorials you can watch before technique swamp sets in.

After wiggling about on some scrap pieces, I was surprised at how low a pressure actually worked

DSCF7739.jpg

Is that 8psi?

Anyhoo, still with the 0.4mm setup and that pressure, using Vallejo Air White Primer 74.600 (as it's the stuff I've most of, and I wanted a contrast with the grey) straight from the bottle, I did this

DSCF7740.jpg

DSCF7741.jpg

Plan is to use a light olive colour and see how it covers. I also plan to mask and paint the larger markings, but that could all change.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

True, there's no cure for inexperience, I guess you just got to go get some!

I think one of the problems I have, given the relative importance of air pressure, is I have no means to accurately measure what pressure my air brush is delivering. My pump has a rudimentary gauge, but I'd have no chance of actually setting it to a desired pressure!

What you've managed to do here looks good though!

• Thanks 1

Hi All

On 3/12/2019 at 1:14 PM, clive_t said:

True, there's no cure for inexperience, I guess you just got to go get some!

Hi Clive, pity they don't stock it a Hannants...

I overdid the white primer with Vallejo White 71.001

DSCF7749.jpg

I was getting quite a dry tip, cleaning it every ten or fifteen seconds or so, and the paint still came out in dots even with a couple of drops of Vallejo Airbrush Thinners.

I'm going to up the pressure, perhaps add a drop of Flow Improver (that I've still got from my Victoria Cross days), see how that works out.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Hi All

What's this all about,then?

DSCF7760.jpg

In other news, main white areas masked over with foil

DSCF7754.jpg

A couple of light coats of VA71.014 Gunship Green (whatever Gunship it is, it looks very green)

DSCF7755.jpg

I was going for a slightly yellowy olive, but looks a bit too green.

AN IMPORTANT DISCOVERY IN THE LAB!

THIS INFINITY AIRBRUSH HAS A HALF WAY SETTING ON THE AIR TRIGGER!!!

Can't remember how I found it (I know, I should have RTFM, but where's the fun in that?), slightly depressing the air release gives out a lower pressure blast than fully pressed.

Bit like a pre-focus on a camera shutter.

Guess that explains a lot, now I have no excuse for dodgy technique.

Anyhoo,

DSCF7756.jpg

Acceptably sharp demarcation, even if it all looks a touch sparkly bright. I might give it all a thin yellowy wash, just to take the edge off.

And so to that cowling.

I wanted to try to create an impression of the distinctive engine turned pannels, so put on blobs of Tamiya XF-2 White with the end of a cocktail stick.

A quick coat of that VA71.062 Aluminium

DSCF7766.jpg

DSCF7767.jpg

Still slightly lumpy blobish, but from a viewing stance, at the right distance, in the right light, it looks a little better.

More experiments needed.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Hi All

56 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Wow, that's a vivid green!

Yeah, didn't quite come out as I had it in my head. I figured the grey primer might tone it down a bit, guess I figured wrong. I'll get the stickers on and give it a couple of (grey? darker green? yellow? dirt? dust? all of the above?) washes.

52 minutes ago, Army_Air_Force said:

Interesting experiment on the cowl.

I did one of these a couple of years ago. My first try using 0.1mm Ni-Chrome wire for rigging, attached with a small drop of PVA glue.

fokker_eiii_2017_001.jpg

fokker_eiii_2017_002.jpg

That's more the colour I was after, what did you use?

I've had more luck with small parts like the tail skid, engine

DSCF7768.jpg

Gun and prop

DSCF7769.jpg

I've also done the wheels red, but they look like they've just come off Santas' sleigh, less colour brightness needed.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Hi All

To tone down the colour a bit I gave it a coat of Pledge with a couple of drops of Vallejo Air 71.033 Yellow Ochre in the cup

DSCF7770.jpg

It might not look it on here but it's taken the glare off the green and the white.

I might give it another one with something else in once the decals are on.

I started by cutting the white out of the main wing markings

DSCF7771.jpg

They went on nicely, but the red and black fuselage bands were more reluctant

DSCF7772.jpg

Eventually, after a deluge of Micro Sol, everyone settled down and relaxed

DSCF7773.jpg

DSCF7774.jpg

Don't think I've quite the white body band in the correct position, and the overlap on the red is noticeable, I'll see how it is once it dries.

The green looks better in the daylight though.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Hi All

7 hours ago, clive_t said:

Nice one. How does the new airbrush feel compared to the previous one you were using?

Hi Clive, physically this new one is smaller, lighter, and doesn't leak round the joints.

At low pressure (about 8psi) I can get right up close and do less than 1mm lines! They're shaky and somewhat erratic in width, but that's just me.

I'm using the screw in backstop now to limit the paint flow, where as with the old one I had to pull it wide open to get flow through.

The paint mix seems to matter more now, something I'm going to work on with these "sacrificial" builds. It still seems to come out in tiny drops, but as I did get 90% of my Vallejo paints from evilBay there's no telling how old they are.

I've recently got some Tamiya that is newer, I might give that a go.

Anyhoo, I put a couple of drops of 71.028 Sand Yellow in the Pledge cup and gave it another going over.

DSCF7786.jpg

DSCF7787.jpg

A subtle improvement, though hardly noticeable on here.

It's just had a coat of Windsor & Newton Matt Varnish so will be put away for about a week as it dries. I don't know what's in that stuff, but it takes ages to go off.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

That's looking great :thumbsup2:

I saw a video clip on YouTube recently where the guy was explaining the importance of having a moisture trap on the air line. I wonder if moisture in your air supply is causing this 'droplet' issue you're having? He suggested it was more of an issue in places of high humidity, but I thought it worth mentioning here just in case.

• Like 1

Hi Clive, thanks, yes I've an air trap, and it's surprising the blast of moisture that comes out before and after a session.

Those YouTube videos can be inspiring and depressing all at once, beautiful finishes from an obviously practiced hand, then when you try it at home it all goes pear shaped.

Onward and upward!

Cheers

Steve

Hi All

It's about time I got this one finished, that W&N Matt Varnish is just about dry by now...

DSCF7820.jpg

As a rigging aid, I'd glued a short length of heat shrunk cotton but shaft to the top of the upper frame

DSCF7821.jpg

As there were going to be most of the lines going through there.

Engine and cowling on

DSCF7822.jpg

Underframe on and setting

DSCF7823.jpg

Rigging with 14oz fishing line ran over with a sliver marker

DSCF7824.jpg

Wheels and other bits on

DSCF7825.jpg

Finished!

DSCF7830.jpg

DSCF7827.jpg

DSCF7828.jpg

DSCF7832.jpg

I'll get some pics for RFI when it stops raining.

Thanks for the company

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

Nicely done! For the engine turned look I use "steel" and a small brush and just paint erratic marks over the aluminium. Seems to work!

20161103_124144

Ian

Edited by limeypilot
  • Like 2