RAF Pilot Sitting in Cockpit with Monkey on Shoulder + 2 Mechanics Western Desert for Special Hobby Kittyhawk - 1:72

RAF Pilot Sitting in Cockpit with Monkey on Shoulder + 2 Mechanics Western Desert for Special Hobby Kittyhawk

1:72 CMK

chimp_01.jpg

Special Hobby's Kittyhawk is a rather lovely thing, so it's great to see the Czech manufacturer bring the model to life with these resin figures. The figures are nicely detailed and beautifully cast, but I think someone at Special Hobby has been monkeying around. Let's dispense with the obvious first. The mechanic has what appears to be a chimpanzee (possibly a bonobo) on his shoulders. Both species are native to central Africa, so it's a mystery as to how this pilot acquired his new friend. I would have thought a barbary macaque would have been the obvious choice, but I could well be wrong. There are chimpanzees at Whipsnade Zoo, and that's nowhere near the Western Desert. So there; never let it be said that we reviewers are reluctant to point out possible glitches in the products we receive as review samples. Watch this space for a tutorial on how to convert a minute resin chimp into a different species of ape.

chimp_02.jpg

chimp_03.jpg

Conclusion

It's great to see that some manufacturers can surprise us and bring a little bit of fun into the hobby. Nothwithstanding the fact that it would be downright dangerous to take to the air with a great ape on board (this is exactly why Tarzan never flew), this item will be a fantastic addition to a mini diorama. Recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of 

logo.gif

• Like 2

Didn't one of Germany's "Experten" keep a pet Tiger on his airbase? The monkey seems like small taitters, by comparison. As stated previously, it's great that the aftermarket companies are introducing some humour into their products. Way too many A/M figures are made standing up, ram-rod straight and look super un-natural. 

Cheers.  

Chris. 

I think the set is based on an actual photograph, I found a picture with a close-up of the pilot and monkey but no ground crew visible (though they might be visible in another picture which I didn't find):

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/78320480999203301/?autologin=true

Not sure if you will be able to see it if you don't have a Pinterest account, apparently the monkey was a squadron mascot called Buss... 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

Didn't one of Germany's "Experten" keep a pet Tiger on his airbase? The monkey seems like small taitters, by comparison. As stated previously, it's great that the aftermarket companies are introducing some humour into their products. Way too many A/M figures are made standing up, ram-rod straight and look super un-natural. 

Cheers.  

Chris. 

Franz Von Werra was the keeper of the Lion cub

It was JG-3... Von Werra escaped from the prisonner camp after being shot down over England in the BoB.

Dont think they ever flew with the Lion in a '109:rofl2:

https://thelieutenantknows.net/main/2018/4/11/heroes-villains-franz-von-werra

Sincerely.

CC

The monkey in question is I believe intended to represent 3 Squadron RAAF mascot "Buzz":

"Incidentally, Tiny Cameron was the 'parent' of a very cute little monkey which he'd named "Buzz", who had quickly become the Squadron's beloved mascot when Tiny brought him back to the Squadron after a leave in Cairo.  Buzz often (but unofficially!) flew with Tiny in his aircraft on non-operational flights."

There's a photo of F/Sgt Cameron and Buzz on this page: http://www.3squadron.org.au/indexpages/history3a.htm

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I think the set is based on an actual photograph, I found a picture with a close-up of the pilot and monkey but no ground crew visible (though they might be visible in another picture which I didn't find):

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/78320480999203301/?autologin=true

Not sure if you will be able to see it if you don't have a Pinterest account, apparently the monkey was a squadron mascot called Buss... 

Cheers,

Stew

18 hours ago, Procopius said:

The monkey in question is I believe intended to represent 3 Squadron RAAF mascot "Buzz":

"Incidentally, Tiny Cameron was the 'parent' of a very cute little monkey which he'd named "Buzz", who had quickly become the Squadron's beloved mascot when Tiny brought him back to the Squadron after a leave in Cairo.  Buzz often (but unofficially!) flew with Tiny in his aircraft on non-operational flights."

There's a photo of F/Sgt Cameron and Buzz on this page: http://www.3squadron.org.au/indexpages/history3a.htm

Thanks both. I'm no primatologist, but judging by that photo Buzz is definitely a barbary macaque. The monkey included in the set, however, has more than a whiff of PG Tips about him. I dunno. I feel like a right you-know-what for even mentioning it, but if I'd failed to spot the wrong type of tyres being represented on a review of a Trumpeter kit, I'd be hammered for it! So there you go folks. In order to improve the accuracy of this model, file down Buzz's ears and brow ridge ;) 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Paul A H said:

The monkey included in the set, however, has more than a whiff of PG Tips about him.

He looks nothing like Monkey!

8F24BB42-0E24-D795-3968C991370970AE.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4