Irish Air Corps Casa 235 using Broplan 1:72

Quick follow up message; I have done some work on the Casa 235 since the summer holidays; mainly the engines , undercarriage and tidying up the wings

Undercarriage openings 

I was unhappy about the arrangement of having to fit the wheels at the end of the build as it was nigh impossible to get them to fit. I also didn't want to fit the wheels before paining as they would get broke. So I opted to open the wheel wells they way they are on the real thing by opening up the sides of the sponsons. So I chopped these side panels out and will drop them into place with Makskol before painting. I also played with the fit of the wheels and have actually placed them twice before removing again. This aircraft sits very low on the ground and you are entirely on your won when it comes to deciding where to fit the wheels. For the next update I will make a photo composition of the fit.  

20191204_115500_zps9xyq7zwo.jpg  

20191204_115506_zpsw05qfjit.jpg

Wings

Next up was the wings; the upper wing is made of three sections and I was unhappy with the clear difference in height of the outer panels compared to the central panel. There was a clear dip and distortion which is not on the original so I rolled out thin sheets of Green Stuff and filled the gap along the edges of the line between outer and inner panels and then sanded flush. I am reasonably happy with the result but will have to add a slight fill on one side as there is still a dip.

20191204_115454_zpstdurdjx2.jpg

20191204_115512_zps92fh7vp2.jpg

Engines

I decided the engines needed some work as well; using references photos I decided that the intake lip on Broplan was rather skinny and it needed to be beffed-up, also a number of openings on the under side were missing so I tackled those. I replaced the exhaust pipe with some Evergreen tubing and sanded it thin. And now I have to repeat for the other side …. photos show one engine doen the other not.

20191018_214430_zps41uztlau.jpg

20191018_214404_zpsqiff5kvv.jpg

Left to do:

- fit the undercarriage supports and close up the sponsons

-fit engines

- detail the rear loading area with rivet decals 

-add all other detail around the airframe 

- tackel the port doorway 

- paint 

- make up/ print  decals

Its gonna take a while yet ….

Regards 

Brian 

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
On 2/17/2022 at 11:59 PM, Doccur said:

Did you ever continue with this at all @BKirwan :) 

I have just sourced a combat kits CN235 and was thinking of doing #250 and found your thread to provide some inspiration!

Ash

Hi Ash 

After it staring me in the face for the last 2 or is it 3 years I am currently working on it. Will post an udate shortly.  

• Like 3