Irish Air Corps Casa 235 using Broplan 1:72

Inspired recently by the Group build Maritime Patrol but being too late to join I decided to dig out my Broplan's 1:72 Casa 235 vac-kit anyway. I was moved to action in particular by the work done by Dermot and his IAC Super King Air. I started last week but am only getting around now to posting some of the progress shots now.

I am intending on doing the Irish Air Corps aircraft nummer 250 which was leased form Casa while awaiting the delivery of the specialized Maritime Patrol versions (a/c numbers 251 and 252) . This aircraft features a different colour scheme to the later Casa's but is one more in line with the colour scheme adapted for other IAC a/c operating over water like the Dauphin's and the abovementioned Super King Air.  

5587-iac250zip-0-0513457_zpstah3aize.jpg 

There are two versions of the Broplan kit available  but I have the specialized MP version as I was intending originally to do the blue 251 or 252. The kit features some of the parts for the MP version but lacks a an interior, a FLIR , the second blistered window and there were no decals included. As I also have the Scratchaeronautics SAR version in the stash I will do 251/252 using that kit as it is more complete.

20190302_144814_zpseikpynbz.jpg   

I kicked off by cutting most of the main parts form the backing sheet and sanding them. Broplan used thin sheets on the kit and so this wasn't a very time consuming task.

20190302_174226_zpstkphhiby.jpg

20190302_152608_zpsnobzfgt1.jpg 

The quality of the parts is variable; the fuselage halves not being as good as the wing parts. I have drawn the panel lines in using a clutch pencil ran into the engraved detail. This to check the overall  detail of the kit against photos. More on this later as I will post updates in the next few days.

Regards

Brian  

• Like 11

Building

The thin backing sheet means that the removal of the main parts is quite quick, and the clean-up is rather quick. I used a sheet of wet and dry P240 with water for most of the sanding. Cleanup of the main components only took maybe three hours from start to finish. After that it’s a matter of getting on with the task of reinforcing the various parts.

20190302_160430_zpsns8h3dda.jpg

Wings

I started with the wings reinforcing them with a steel rod. The kit features a system of slotting so that the parts will have positive location when fitted. I joined the lower and upper parts except for the central upper section as this needs to be fitted onto of the fuselage.

I need to go back to these to rivet and add some scribing detail absent on the kit. More later.

20190302_205146_zpspe55yhjx.jpg

Fuselage halves

As already mentioned, the fuselages halves seem to be of a thinner gauge sheet that the rest. Looking at the amount of cutting and openings on each side these fuselage halves would have first undergo substantial reinforcement before chopping and sawing.

• The kit includes a bulkhead(nr.2) and floor(nr.13).
  • I decided that I wouldn’t be opening the rear ramp (60+ 59) as there was zero interior detail here and leaving it closed would help strengthen the a/c frame.
  • I did add a second bulkhead in the rear which is only partially accurate; looking at photos I see a curtain/ removable panel at the rear of the cabin;
  • I also used Milliput to pack the inside of the large wing support, the cockpit nose and lead packed in Milliput under the floor close to the front of the cabin to prevent a tail sitter.
  • I would try and use the Micro Kristel Klear for the window parts including the cockpit instead of doing battle with the clear vac part.

20190302_224404_zpsm2htw6jm.jpg  

20190302_235039_zps84xcgeez.jpg

That's all for now 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Fair play to you Brian :worthy:

You're doing a much better job on it than I am on my vac...

I know someone who built that same kit and while he finished it to a great standard, I think he vowed never again!

Really looking forward to following this one. :popcorn:

Dermot

Nice choice of subject, and I do like to see someone tackle a Vac form. I've built 2 in the last 12 months or so, and I need a break! Very wise use of milliput for strengthening also.

I'll enjoy this one!

Terry

• Like 1

Oooh, a Broplan build!

I have a couple of their kits and have noticed the plastic is quite thin. I will be following with interest Brian. :popcorn:

The Casa 235 is a nice aircraft and I would like to build one in 1/72 one day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Internal structure 

The above changes were carried out on the starboard fuselage half; for the port side I added strip to the rear ramp area, strip all along the fuselage sides under the windows, back filled the shoulder mount and made a bulkhead for space between the cockpit and the radar and filled it with lead and Milliput. All of this helps secures the structure and hopefully compensates the thinness of the sheet.

20190322_180102_zps7x18g9ji.jpg

Doors, windows and openings

I wanted to opt out of the fitting the clear vacuum cockpit replacement, so I cut out the cockpit windows and backfilled them with Kleer as a trial. It worked so having cleared the window up I then cut out the rest of the cockpit glass.

Fuselage windows were chain drilled and squared off with a file. Doors were replaced with sheet styrene to give them more definition as the panel line detail is poor. Also examination of photos revealed that the layout of the cabin windows and doors on the starboard side are wrong for the Irish Casa 235’s. There is no cabin window between the entry door and the cockpit and the location of the first 3 cabin windows needed to be adjusted. I used Superglue to fill panel lines and marked and drilled out new locations for windows and door.

20190306_174423_zpsnlfqxozk.jpg

20190309_153856_zps9zmolhrs.jpg

20190306_174432_zpstze7sb7r.jpg

20190322_172351_zpsjkaeo8qq.jpg

Addition detail in the form of submerged lights and other fittings in the fuselage halves will have to be added; reinforcing the insides before drilling out.

• Like 10

I moved into the cockpit  next and used a combination of kit parts and Evergreen scratch buit items. They are both white so it impossible to tell them apart but the kit's cockpit interior has only a deck , two injected moulded seats , sticks and a bare instrument panel. So the rest of what you are seeing is scratch built and most imagineerd As with all things vacuform nothing fitted and had to be cut to fit . The kit does include a cross section drawing of the layout of the main components in the cabin which is helpful in answering questions.

Right side 

20190323_102314_zpsu0ne3i1w.jpg

20190323_102453_zpscetcd5tp.jpg

Left side 

20190323_102335_zpsxvbphktf.jpg

Flight deck and center section

20190323_102243_zpsyvwrsz0j.jpg

20190323_102229_zpsdfeufwaf.jpg

Edited by BKirwan
  • Like 11

Anyhow moving along,  

I did a bit of painting to dress up the cockpit; I must admit that any resemblance between what I made and what is in a CN 235 is purely coincidental. They also vary a great deal between a/c ; I think customers can pick and choose a lot.  I just wanted to make it busy and used a motley collection of instrument decals I had lying around as well as the previously made scratch built items. The 235 had a half glass cockpit so I probably should have used fewer old-fashioned clocks and more boring looking blank screens.

Left side 

20190404_195258_zpseutuemse.jpg

20190404_195307_zps1ep35jqo.jpg

I replaced the kit steering columns as the kit ones look more like 300-year-old wild Irish oaks. Kept the hand sets and used Evergreen for the column. Fire extinguisher is a bit of sprue dipped in red paint. And the rest is dressed up with the ubiquitous red/ yellow colours. 

Of course, trying to fit everything in and close the fuselage halves is going to be a case of trial and error. Mostly the latter.

20190404_211818_zps6m6duehi.jpg

20190404_211736_zpskdvc4tck.jpg

I also backfilled the left fuselage half with extra Evergreen sheet and Milliput as the walls were cracking and opening. This plane is goanna be 2/3 Evergreen 1/3 Milliput and a whiff of Broplan. Gave everything a lazy spray as I am only half interested in the interior you can't see very much through the windows anyhow.

That's all for now

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update

I got the fuselages halves together though it wasn't pretty. I actually made 3 efforts spread over a few days spent to keep the two halves together. Of course dropping the thing on the floor didin't help :) 

20190405_004745_zps9ewpjisa.jpg

20190405_004755_zpsnoi50a6t.jpg

Apart form the small surface area available for gluing the actual underside ripped (yes ripped) when gluing together. Used Tamiya glue for bonding then back filling with Milliput for steps and structural shoring up and lastly liquid plastic( Tamiya glue with scrap evergreen) to fill gaps. The end result when everything has a few days to set is very strong fuselage.  

20190405_004819_zpsixytejd1.jpg

The final result so far 

20190410_220148_zpslnb1zni7.jpg

Next up will be fitting the sponsons which house the undercarriage; these parts are both  arcane in shape and ambiguous in fit   

20190405_183036_zpssrqn4rfn.jpg

And they will have to be fitted to along with the tail to form the main fuselage making this a rather large model

20190410_220616_zpspmhg8dyh.jpg

More to follow as I am actually further along than the photos suggest  

Edited by BKirwan
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update here 

20190410_223616_zpsvmewdgf6.jpg

I had set up the rear of the fuselage with some firewalls and rod to support the weight of the tail. 

20190410_222145_zps793ujzuq.jpg

After much sanding and reinforcing the plastic its beginning to look like a an aeroplane  

Edited by BKirwan
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Here is a short update as I have been working on other projects for the last few weeks..... 

The next major step in the construction is fitting the undercarriage bays; these u/c are typically covered so that only the last 1/2 of the wheels sticks out of the sponsons. Broplan will have you glue that all in at this stage. The sponsons are made up of two parts and the fit is artistic to say the least.

20190503_214457_zpsjccg8dbh.jpg

The backing plate for the u/c gear is too small and its placement ambigious. Also the detailing on all the parts is pretty basic. 

20190503_214437_zpskjewkkdu.jpg

Sooooo I went looking for wheels in the old spare box and found something suitable and as I needed 4 and I have another 235 in the stash I decided to cast a few copies 

20190503_224319_zpsjvskbyfr.jpg

I also added some detail to the backing plate and u/c gear. To aid the fitting of this I added a bulk wall behind it sitting up against the fuselage and also strengthened the inside face of the u/c sponson base. Still have to find a way to fit the sponson now, fill all the gaps and to add the wheels later. ………

20190706_215656_zpsdifgxnz5.jpg

• Like 5

Nice to see some more progress on the 235. I find the undercarriage arrangement on the these vacform kits is never straight forward and needs some sort of additional engineering.

I am looking forward to to these 'challenges' when I attack the Broplan kits I have in the stash.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update 

I have the two undercarriage sponsons on and each of them sealed in Milliput.They needed it as nothing here remotely looks like it fits.

Anyways I then jumped onto fitting the wings 

20190727_162629_zpscem7iarq.jpg

The wire rods ( for florist arrangements) through the middel fits into the holes in the center section giving the whole thing some stability and later on when lining everything up I was able to adjust everything by giving the wire rod a push/pull into place.

20190727_162643_zpsu5r5kttb.jpg

The large gap between the upper wing mid-section and the outer panels meant adding shims and Milliput.

20190727_162650_zpsqvxorxqb.jpg

20190727_163403_zpseuvcyrq2.jpg

Next job up is fitting the tail but on examining photos I discovered the Broplan tail is too long. The comparison with the Scrathaeronautics shows the differences

20190727_201339_zpsx5vwwy9c.jpg

Regards   

Edited by BKirwan
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Howlindawg said:

I'm seriously impressed that you got that tail end looking realistic.

Some quality plastic wrangling going on here!

Have to agree. Superb stuff.

Terry

• Like 1

Gentlemen

Thanks you for your kind words; it was quiet a lot of sanding and then refilling. On a number of occasions I saw the inside of the fuselage again; that plastic is really thin!

Anyway I got all the wings and tail on  and am in the business of cleaning them up and squaring things off. I I am also working on the engines. Then it will be time to put some base paint on and see how much more sanding I have to do but hey its starting to look like an aeroplane !!!

20190801_154142_zpsncvsy6np.jpg

20190801_154152_zpsn5kyalp7.jpg

20190801_155412_zpsd3juxffu.jpg

20190801_155459_zpsti9h2a2n.jpg 

regards

Brian  

Edited by BKirwan
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Is has been great to follow your build Brian, it is looking good.

I now have some idea of what I face with my Falcon 900 and Bombardier Global Express kits I have.

Yea I too am toying with the idea of more Broplan kits; the Casa 295 or the Pilatus 12 are on the wanted list but I have promised myself to first finish this on. 

• Like 1