BA Negus Viscount query

Turbofan

Hi,

Can anyone confirm the colour of BA Negus Viscount tailplanes? The decal instructions state they are white but I can't find any photographs which can confirm this they all look the same grey as the wings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you Lazy8, bzn20 and John for the confirmation about the grey. That's a great link John, some excellent pics which have highlighted the fact I've oversimplified the painting of the wing to fuselage area so need to do some adjustments. There is an unusual area of polished aluminium where the leading edge of the wing and fuselage meet which I had completely missed. Just when I thought I was ready for decalling!

Back to the masking and airbrushing!

Cheers,

Ian

John,

First off, thanks for sharing these photos- those were indeed the days! I remember sitting in the co-pilot's seat of a MATS C-97 coming back from Japan to Travis, via Midway and Hickam back in '56- I was eight, and got to spend over an hour in the cockpit with the flight crew. I was in hog heaven! I have one question for you or one of our BM experts- in the photo of the Viscount that showed the outside of the cockpit area, there was an aft-facing light of some sort. Do you or anybody else know what is was for? My only thought was to illuminate the wings to check for ice? Very nice colors on those Viscounts, BTW!

Mike

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

polished aluminium where the leading edge

That's the root falsework/fairing covering the wing joints and it goes all the way back, tapered as the fairing get smaller . BTW the link I gave .. the entire wings are polished NMF on that photo , look at the one over the back .

54 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

BTW the link I gave .. the entire wings are polished NMF on that photo , look at the one over the back

Yes I noticed that but they were British Midland aircraft on a year lease to BA. 

http://www.vickersviscount.net/Index/VickersViscount341History.aspx

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

Completely off topic (and my apologies to the OP), but Viking's link brought back other memories for me - the Sandringham! I went to a school in Sydney that was situated on the hill overlooking Rose Bay in the heyday of Ansett's flying boat operations. I saw them come and go regularly. Later, when working in the city, I had booked to go on one of the last flying boat trips to Lord Howe Island, but instead found myself off to the innards of NSW for work on the day of the flight. Never quite forgave work for that!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Late to this thread, sorry. Just to confirm that the tailplanes were definitely grey. I worked on these and visually checked carefully colours at the time for a model which I had on the go , C.1979.

BTW, it was the ancient Kader (Lincoln) kit and it was very hard work to turn into V701 G-AMON in BA colours.

Cheers, Nige

• Like 1

Such a noooiiiceee lovely bird...

CX-AQO+edit1+.jpg

This is a piccy of CX-AQO of the Uruguayan airline Pluna, circa 1975 at the ramp in Aeroparque Jorge Newbery, here in Buenos Aires.

Didn't get to see it fly in person since I was born in 1980, but always wondered about the oval access doors on it.

Cheers,

Unc2  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vickers went very conservative with their aperture design for their first pressurised airliner - hence oval windows and doors. By the time they switched to the Series 800, they realised that oval doors were a bit excessive and rather impractical - so they switched to something a bit less unusual.

The Valiant bomber also had an oval door.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Vickers went very conservative with their aperture design for their first pressurised airliner - hence oval windows and doors.

Thanks for the explanation, Eric!

Those Viscounts looked cool to me; had they been more contemporary, think Aerosmith woulda made a song for 'em "Airline Looks Like A Rocketship"  :lol:

Cheers,

Unc2