Sea King question.

Hi folks

A simple question, if one would like to build a Westland Sea King HAS1 which would be the best kit as a starting point? The newer Airfix HAR3 boxing probably offers the best detail and quality albeit needing some modification, does the Dragon AEW2 have any merit as a start point?

Also we have the old Airfix SH3D kit, had a look at the one in my stash and it looks OK for it's age and in detail is probably nearer a HAS1.

What of the Revell offerings?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Gary.

2 hours ago, andyf117 said:

This post provides basic details of what changes are needed for a FAA ASW version:

Thanks andyf117, a case of pick your poison then!

I am not too fussed about interiors other than cockpit as I want to put my time and effort into other more visible modifications but the Dragon option is now gone after your suggestion.

I will spend this week while working away to read the posts you have linked to as Travelodge is not exactly the entertainment capitals of the UK.

Cheers

Gary

Perhaps the one thing that the Cyber-Hobby kits have going for them is that if you were wanting to use either as a parts source for the folded blades or anything else is that following their ridiculously expensive initial release both HC.4 and AEW.2 have recently been re- released by Dragon for 11.99 each.

• Like 1

Fujimi released some Sea King kits in past years; 4 different boxings. None was specifically an HAS.1, but all were nicely detailed, and one might form the basis for an HAS.1.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Though released supposedly as three Westland variants (HAR.3, Mk.48 and 'Flying Tiger'), the Fujimi kits really represent Sikorsky/Mitsubishi versions, and as such lack the generator bulge on the starboard doghouse...

Thanks for pointing that out. I am by no means an expert on the Sea King or its Westland brothers.

Is i just a feeling or is there a difference between the old and new Airfix kits concerning the nose/windscreen? The new kit looks more "flat" compared to the old one...

/André

8 hours ago, Andre B said:

Is i just a feeling or is there a difference between the old and new Airfix kits concerning the nose/windscreen? The new kit looks more "flat" compared to the old one...

/André

Could be

7QK9CC8.jpg

• Like 2