1/200 HMS Hood & 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales

It's not sense, Joel, it's extreme laziness and a talent for procrastination :D

The water is mega basic.

I masked around the edges of the wood, gave it a few coats of varnish to seal the grain, sanding afterwards. I brush painted on a base turquoise colour (after Googling photographs of "Singapore harbour") - I think it was an old WEM Mig cockpit turquoise? - the airbrushed on some German AFV sand and dark grey.

At this point I plonk the ship on top and draw round it so I have the waterline shape to avoid with the texture bit that comes next.

Windsor & Newton Galeria Heavy Structure Gel - this stuff below...

s-l400.jpg

... was watered down a bit and brushed on with a flat brush about 1/2" wide using an action half-way between a stipple and a stroke all in the same direction. I let it dry long enough to turn clear, then brushed Windsor & Newton Artists' Acrylic Gloss UV Varnish - this stuff...

winsor-newton-gloss-uv-varnish-125ml-438

... over it, which re-wet the Heavy Structure Gel a bit and let the whole lot settle into a softer shape.

That's it. It would be a truely crap technique for a ship underway at sea probably, or indeed in 1/350 or larger. For a 1/700 ship anchored in sheltered water it looks ok though I think, at least in an impressionist way as mentioned a post or two back :)

As you can see it doesn't really stand up to any real critique but I feel a waterline model looks a bit lost without some water round its, we, line.

resized_ae224c12-8352-4c49-b81e-b6e42ee4

• Like 8

That's really nice Jamie and works well as you say for a ship anchored in a tropical sheltered harbour.  My recollection of the water in Singapore harbour 20 off years ago - well the Johor Straits up around Sembawang (I'm not sure where the dockyard was in 41) - was a dirty muddy brown!  I think the colour very much depends on the time of the year and the amount of rain they've had in Malaysia washing the mud down from the tropical rain forests into the Straits.

• Thanks 1