1/200 HMS Hood & 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales

Great, well done Jamie,

Looks really nice. Looking forward to see what you do with her, although the WIP forum is getting a bit jam packed with Flyhawk PoWs!

Guy

• Like 1

The only thing which amazes me Joel is my inconsistency!

I have got the sides of the hull a little dirtier, trying to break up the monotone appearance of the base paints.

8feed616-b5c2-474b-876f-cba170c4cc5a.jpg

99e630be-db37-4678-b5ea-93f348c32bc1.jpg

Particular attention has been paid to the bow as this appears quite heavily distressed in the photographs of her arriving in Singapore in December 1941.

Z0mlRBI4drRt444B6ZYOfw4dgtQqUf5s7J0Wuj8E

If anyone has spotted that I am in no way following the kit instructions for camouflage, that's because HMS Prince of Wales looked nothing like the vast majority of illustrations published over the years, one of which Flyhawk used in good faith as a reference:

resized_a51bdc37-6eee-4a12-a517-dccf17f3

e.g. this imaginative yet completely unrepresentative drawing on the Force Z Survivors' website, which has curiously managed to show tonal inversions (e.g. under the Walrus catapult, which below is darker than the paints which bracket it which are very obviously darker than it on all photographs including the colour cine film still above!)

PrinceDec41L.gif

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

e.g. this imaginative yet completely unrepresentative drawing on the Force Z Survivors' website, which has curiously managed to show tonal inversions (e.g. under the Walrus catapult, which below is darker than the paints which bracket it which are very obviously darker than it on all photographs including the colour cine film still above!)

PrinceDec41L.gif

I traced down the author of this image who said that a) "but, but... this was just a doodle" and b) "I had no idea it was used as a reference". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, foeth said:

I traced down the author of this image who said that a) "but, but... this was just a doodle" and b) "I had no idea it was used as a reference". 

What did he think drawings were used for when posted on the internet?

12 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

8feed616-b5c2-474b-876f-cba170c4cc5a.jpg

99e630be-db37-4678-b5ea-93f348c32bc1.jpg

That work on the bow is stunning, really nice work.

Do you have a marked up camoflage drawing? It seems wrong to go with the instructions when the result of decent research is available!

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 10:05 PM, OutcastJoel said:

That work on the bow is stunning, really nice work.

Do you have a marked up camoflage drawing? It seems wrong to go with the instructions when the result of decent research is available!

Hi Joel, I do, and both @dickrd and @foeth were instrumental in the work behind it. Just drawing it was the easy part :D

It's about 3/4 of the way down here.

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/pages/british-royal-navy-colour-schemes

HMS_Prince_of_Wales_Dec41.jpg?v=15902379

I have scrap views of camouflage for each of the 14" gun barrels from Evert-Jan and also what I think is on the turret roofs.

I will go back into Adobe Illustrator tomorrow and try to tidy all that up onto one picture if I can.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I added some PE after base painting. I'm still fumbling my way a bit about the best build/paint sequence but there's just no way to dodge paint brushes with this thing sadly.

In addition the forward pairs of 5.25in High Angle mounts were built up, using the brass barrels in the Deluxe kit. A 0.3mm drill proved ideal for drilling the injected trunnions after nipping off their plastic barrels - for the benefit of the others building the same kit at the moment.

I will remove the P1, P2, S1 and S2 5.25 in turrets and their gun decks for airbrushing in MS4 before adding the camouflage pattern (which is mostly MS3) by brush later.

resized_974d3335-eff9-42d9-b80f-e99a2a32

resized_969787a6-6edd-4757-8245-af7725be

• Like 15

I misplaced my favourite chisel a while ago, but happened to find it.

I have therefore trimmed away the plastic degaussing cable from the Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Hood hull and filled all the forward portholes under the flare of the bow.

• Like 1

The big Hood is currently at this point:

resized_d98af275-c83f-4c1d-a2dc-350ea2a4

I am now satisfied with these:

resized_e56851f0-d687-4e76-aedc-4787c9dd

I have removed the degaussing cable as mentioned about, but also the improvised plating to carry these over the hawse pipes which were grossly over simplified (a theme with this kit) and are replaced by Pontos parts. I have some cleaning up to do of the hawse holes then the port holes to redrill I. the correct places and correct plane!

resized_1a8eb8a7-5daa-47e7-9a97-83c1b359

Prior to painting the hull I shall finalise the mounting, which is going to include this nice slab of Iroko which was salvaged from our ensuite bathroom - it having been part of a custom made counter top in before the fire. After cutting to size and a good while power sanding it looks quite nice. I'm not bothered by that one remaining chip out of the top because this is salvaged from my house which is important to me.

• Like 8

The hull is now mounted, and can be removed for tidying up the degaussing cable areas, drilling the portholes and airbrushing the underside. Once that's done, I can screw it down permanently and fix the main deck sections. I really am torn about the deck. I know I can paint the deck better than the Pontos wooden deck looks but it would mean foregoing so much of the Pontos set that it seems a none option too. Option 3 I suppose would be to cut a plastic deck using Evergreen stock using the Pontos deck as a template. Quite a bit of work that, mind.

resized_5906e659-a712-435c-b555-5f996f63

c77ec8ca-cb33-4796-8bc6-9236b545fedd.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Jamie, Pete in RI here. Glad to see you back on the Hood, and the PoW is looking fantastic. I have been pondering the deck issue also with my build, and am leaning towards using the Pontos deck, but giving it a coat of clear then painting as per EJ's build. Yes, I know it will...err....take a while......but having seen a few builds of various 1/200 ships that used a/m wood decks ( Pontos and others) I get the impression that they look rather too bland and monotone, and that the decks need an extra something to bring them to life. Hope that makes sense.  Regards, Pete.

I would be interested to see you just seal the deck and then paint as if it was plastic. 

I have taken a similar approach on lasercut wooden building kits and have found it to behave very like plastic after priming so I think you could achive the look you are after with an aweful lot less effort than scratch building a new deck.

• Like 1

I'm not sure which would be more or less work to be honest. Creating the parallel caulking lines is a real horror of a job so simply blitzing the Pontos deck and starting from scratch on the Pontos cut out is probably the worst of all worlds I reckon. You get the chore of scratch building the deck anyway except the easy bits of cutting it out and get all the risks of inadequate adhesion and peeling of the wooden deck.

A new plastic one using grooved Evergreen just needs the plank ends scribed and cutting out which isn't that hard.

If the Pontos wooden deck is used at all, it'll be with the lasered caulking lines preserved but with the wood colour improved I think. Of course others are free to do as they wish!

i am wrestling with the same issue with Ark; she’s being depicted in a North Atlantic storm, so pristine bright dry teak is not going to be convincing.  Tetra do nice wooden overlays (4.5” sponsons, cable deck, quarter deck), so I wondering how to darken them without the faff of scratching the whole lot (which would be considerable on the cable deck especially).

• Like 2

I think it's my expectations that take the most adjustment to be honest Guy. My aeroplanes have gone as large as 1/5 scale. It takes a bit of conscious acceptance to compromise going to smaller scales. What's not only possible but fairly necessary in, say, 1/200 or larger is not possible for me at least in 1/700. Things become more impressionistic in smaller scales. Even in 1/200 though the model is so large that I think I should have the plating rivets all there, but then you remember it's still a smaller scale than the 1/144 dinky little airliners on which most people don't even have glazed windows and just use decals. On a ship in 1/200 you kinda expect there to be a companionway and some lower level deck visible through an open deck hatch. Then again, I have lots half built because I can't stop interfering with models!

I just started a 1/48 Canberra as a quick build, which I've "sped up" by immediately sawing the roof off

resized_29cbcf9e-7e0f-4ede-9302-33c2ca77

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The Canberra is a bit left field! 

Yep, I’m the same, I’m used to building 1/32 aircraft and then feel disappointed that my 1/700 aircraft look like a 5 year old has painted them.

Guy

You do yourself a disservice there I think, however if there's one thing ships drive us to do better at is to pay better attention to detail. A crappy paint finish which looks like poster paint is not that uncommon of aeroplanes but really looks awful on a ship, I find!

• Like 3