1/200 HMS Hood & 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales

Time for a wee bit of progress on the Prince of Wales. I have realised that the Delux version included a PE Type 273 radar (the lantern looking thing - thanks Sean!) so after thinking about the relative merits of leaving the plastic one in situ or replacing, I carefully sawed the plastic one off and made up the brass replacement. I've also fitted the supports for the Type 285 fire control radars which can be seen fitted atop the two Mk.III HACS (High Angle Control Stations). I need to assemble the Yagi antennae to fit on these mounts.

resized_36082e3b-e044-41d8-951d-2f5dd4ab

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

After a short hiatus (paintbrushophobia) I have decided to force myself to get on with this.

The main deck has been airbrushed a base tone. This wasn't such a chore.

resized_757c1800-a53e-4cf2-a126-ad6b8557

Next will be lots of tedious brush painting. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I've applied the first contrasting colour by picking out some planks. I'm sharing these now because I had a few sets of PMs about painting the deck on Exeter. I wanted to state that at this stage it looks the absolute worst that it's going to. Don't give up - keep the faith.

resized_99cd465a-2011-41bc-8cca-1b2bef0b

resized_f49b49d1-5954-451b-b2ea-449bd47b

• Like 4

My next step is mixing the 2nd and 3rd contrasting colours together, thinning it fairly heavily, then applying a fairly wet "dry brush" to the deck. I take care to apply and not keep agitating the previous paint too much with the brush, since they were only brushed on this afternoon and the thinners will soften and eventually strip the previous enamel back off. Used with care though, this will blend the previous paints and soften the contrast down.

resized_8764663d-0e2d-4371-ad83-1da681ae

• Like 8

I've given the deck a very dark wash using artist's oil paint thinned with white spirit. I never use white spirit for thinning enamel because it stinks and evaporates very slowly, which causes long drying times. Its long molecule length which causes these properties which I generally find undesirable does however given white spirit a use here - it can be applied on top of recently painted on enamel without lifting it. Excessive agitation of the paint with the brush when applying oil wash is to be avoided though - just apply it, let capillary action do its thing and keep moving.

resized_68392926-3e07-4d2e-8d63-db74693f

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

I like what you've done with the deck Jamie. Think I prefer this look as opposed to a stick-on deck.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. The wooden ones are definitely easy and convenient, but if a painted one turns out ok it's probably more satisfying overall :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A small update. I wanted to get better "value" from the relative faff of brush painting so have saved up a few jobs. The forward funnel is now ready for camouflaging - it's painted a base coat of MS4. I'm going to assemble the 5.25" P1, P2, S1 and S2 guns and their respective structures first.

resized_951cdf53-c8c4-48de-b865-1bf19fc7

I made a serious mistake. I didn't properly check which funnel cap parts I was looking at, and I stupidly glued the wrong PE parts to the wrong cap. It's rather messy now as you can see. I am not proud of myself at this point...

resized_beb8d940-4f37-4071-8408-fa326122

resized_77b0d35d-c45d-42da-8694-e07e805e

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I made a serious mistake. I didn't properly check which funnel cap parts I was looking at, and I stupidly glued the wrong PE parts to the wrong cap. It's rather messy now as you can see. I am not proud of myself at this point...

Gidday Jamie, who'd have known if you hadn't mentioned it, certainly not me. I still think it looks very good. The amount of PE detail you're adding is amazing. I'd still be very proud to have done what you have. And who doesn't get things wrong at some point? I certainly do. Keep up the good work. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/25/2019 at 7:13 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I am not proud of myself at this point..

I sometimes ask myself why we, as modellers, put ourself through this mill of frustration, the detail we aim for is sometimes breathtaking when one considers the scales we are working at and we do set the bar high but in the end I do feel it all works in the end and sometimes the only mistake apparent when the model is on the table is our own admission to others that it is there.

My builds are riddled with mistakes so no stone throwing here Jamie, just praise for working at such small scale.

Grand work by the way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've changed day-jobs 3 weeks ago which is taking a lot of time, and my weekends have been consumed lately by 2 trade orders (we have restocks presently in transit to Denmark, and one in manufacture for Australia - so the new Royal Navy paints are reaching other parts of the world at last).

I've made minor progress on the model but have generally lacked the energy...

resized_2b998b1c-c05e-4417-873d-079786d1

resized_515fcb33-21c9-4ec5-b3fe-49fae0f9

• Like 11

Today I've foregone modelling again, preparing trade orders and working to get a new facsimile copy of C.B.3098 from May 1943 ready to make available. I have 10 illustrations left, and the text is all ready to go :)

2bb24750-f5b7-4a7f-bf41-2f4ea07a1156.png

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Since everyone else is at it, I have got my own Prince of Wales off the shelf again. I am not interested in pace, which should be obvious by now. I have started but will continue to work on weathering the hull to try to capture the feel of the ship as photographed a little better.

resized_99974e56-c068-4d46-99bf-e7dd7047

Once the hull sides are where I want them to be, I shall complete detailing the painted deck and then when that's done I shall add the resin ventilators all in the interests of doing things in the easiest order for me :)

• Like 8

Aye up there is number 4  who’s running the sweep stake on these builds 🏇

always nice to see the camouflage scheme of this ship will be very interesting to see all the various ways these kits are built :book:

beefy 

• Thanks 1