1/200 HMS Hood & 1/700 HMS Prince of Wales

20 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

but I removed the metal barrels again...

A brave move and if I'd found out about the 2mm difference after I'd built them, they would stay 2mm too long. You've corrected them now, and as far as this layman's eye is concerned, I cant' see any damage. And yes, she is looking very KGV.

Stuart

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last night and today was wasted in a futile effort to get air conditioning working before tomorrow morning, ultimately to be defeated by a poor quality part that doesn't do what it says on the tin. So that means my tolerance for people on the English motorways using lanes incorrectly will be approximately zero once I head south to that sticky, hot and close climate. Yuck.

Anyway, MS3 is masked and I opted to go for MS1 next as it's only a few shapes to mask over.

resized_fb9849c5-d32a-4d32-939e-01f638f4

That will be all until I return next week.

• Like 9

On 7/16/2019 at 8:26 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

always enjoy unmasking

Not bloody surprised when it reveals results that superlative Jamie.

• Like 2

Thank you everyone. It is going to need some adjustment which I'll have to do by brush (yuck) - there are a few places where I've managed to miss the continuity of the pattern between hull and upperworks (e.g. on X turret, starboard side).

No progress last night though - I was out spraying lids whilst Gill filled tins.

This looks like an amazing kit, and watching your inspirational build of it is making it more and more difficult for me to resist buying one!

Hi folks,

I've shied away from the modelling rooms the past week or two due to uncomfortable warmth. I can open velux windows of course but then the breeze (which is still warm, and therefore wrong) blows pieces of paper around, demolishing intricate photo etched assemblies and so on.

I did make up 2 more of the radar director sets and attach those over the weekend though.

• Like 1

Hello all,

This afternoon I sailed in to Scapa Flow. I was born in Shetland but have never been to Orkney before.

resized_29553fb0-788f-4014-8231-5c735f5f

HMS Hood and HMS Prince of Wales left through this channel together with HMS Electra, HMS Achates, HMS Antelope, HMS Anthony and HMS Echo on 22nd May 1941 shortly after 0100hrs.

• Like 8

In the centre of this photograph is a little dot. It's the green Admiralty wreck marker buoy denonating the war grave of HMS Royal Oak.

resized_28bf92db-df68-4b59-a4df-f75f3067

resized_3f0759cb-b616-451f-985e-fb941321

There is a little memorial here at Scapa, about 3 miles south of Kirkwall for this warship. She sank just in the entrance of the little bay at Scapa within the much larger natural harbour of Scapa Flow.

Further away close to the island of Flotta in the distance lies the wreck of HMS Vanguard which sank following a magazine explosion in the first war with, as it happens, HMS Royal Oak anchored beside. HMS Vanguard is also a protected war grave.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Thanks for sharing those Jaime, it was a disappointment of mine that I missed a trip to Orkney on my OE 35+ years ago, I got as far as Thurso to find the ferry had gone onto a every two days sailing being later in the season & I'd missed that day & didn't have the time to wait around for the next one, I really wanted to see Scapa Flow & sail past the Old Man of Hoy. :(

Steve.

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

That's rotten luck. We got very lucky with the crossings and the Pentland Firth was like a mill pond each way.

There are always some numpties who can't follow basic instructions like "Do not alarm your car" so there is a chorus of Porsche, Mercedes and Audi alarms every time the ferry changes direction.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Orkney is a stunning place.  Mind you, most of the times I’ve sailed through the Pentland Firth it’s been rough as a very rough thing, sluicing it down and less than a mile’s visibility.  Your photos make it look like the Caribbean!

So much history in that stretch of now-tranquil water - not all of it tragic; Dunning’s deck landing site is a few cables away.  But Royal Oak is always very sobering.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Orkney is a stunning place. 

You’re not wrong, I’m planning to move there next year. Been lucky with the ferry crossings when I’ve been. The only iffy trip was flying - coming into Aberdeen airport, before the connection to Kirkwall, was a bit more interesting than I was used to on domestic flights.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Your photos make it look like the Caribbean!

Yes we had the very same thought - the weather was uncharacteristic compared to my experience of Shetland. I'd also seen several videos of the Pentland Firth ferries and decided to withhold those from Gill who hitherto got seasick in the bath tub. I think we've figured out that it's not so much motion sickness but claustrophobia of a sort because she's bad in airports etc too - anywhere that you get contained in a sound-deadened HVAC supplied cabin. Up on the sun weather deck she was absolutely fine - but the firth was like a millpond. As much as I like ships and boats I haven't actually spent any real time at sea but I was fascinated by what I think was two currents meeting and mixing. There was a band of water with a gloopy, almost oily looking surface texture where the slightly choppier water from east and west appeared to mix causing little white breakers along the edges and tiny little whirlpools.

I've been fortunate to enjoy a bit of leisure sailing in the Caribbean and absolutely loved that. The water up at Birsay on Saturday was also delightful.

resized_d5740bff-0ee9-483c-a1ac-493e8909

resized_d367bcab-9d91-471a-9235-b96a30ad

I found myself (and to my surprise, Gill) thinking that building a little boat to tow with us could be a pleasant way to enjoy water - strictly fair weather stooging about of course. I like this little thing which is a 4-plank stitch-and-glue design intended to be built at home for minimal money and with minimal set-up (so not a mould/frame type construction):

cutter_apple21.jpg

The Churchill Barriers are quite an achievement, and the presence of the block ships is also nice for a visitor like me to see:

resized_4ff4a7ec-9b0e-4a5b-ad16-0a653c50

• Like 8