Falklands Phantom FGR.2 1/72 Airfix

Airfix’s latest Phantom release. I used the Xtradecal sheet to make Faith, which had the gray tail, instead of white. Standard fare, OOB except for the AIM-9s, since the kit didn’t come with AIM-9L, only AIM-9J. So I raided my spares. The only issue was the closed canopy. I had made some custom ejection loops, and they would not allow the canopy to sit. So off they came and it still didn’t sit right. So it has those big ugly gaps on the left and shims on the right. Other than that, lovely kit. I’m still developing my scoring system, and this is a relelease anyway, so no scores on this one. 

LH7s1Kw.jpgamgpqKg.jpgLym4bwn.jpgzYWY61Z.jpgGav2SwU.jpgWpwaB0B.jpgHRouE5U.jpgitTmu5o.jpgEJY9SwN.jpg

• Like 62

Really nice build,  I think you have done a great job  on this,  particularly like the mettallic's  and  staining on the tail.

One criticism,  Falklands  Phantoms flew  with Skyflash missiles,  Sparrows were not used in the Falklands.  (I think by 1982 the Sparrow was out of RAF service anyway)

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

Building as we speak, as usual with these new airfix kits finding that test fitting is critical, top spine and intake covers need a bit of work to get a decent fit,did you have same problems? or is it just me. Great model you have done, hoping my efforts get to look half as good as yours, good job.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Really nice build,  I think you have done a great job  on this,  particularly like the mettallic's  and  staining on the tail.

One criticism,  Falklands  Phantoms flew  with Skyflash missiles,  Sparrows were not used in the Falklands.  (I think by 1982 the Sparrow was out of RAF service anyway)

Selwyn

In 1/72, they’re near as makes no difference. Ref pics show Skyflash/Sparrow loaded on the jets. 👍🏼

1 hour ago, Farmerboy said:

Building as we speak, as usual with these new airfix kits finding that test fitting is critical, top spine and intake covers need a bit of work to get a decent fit,did you have same problems? or is it just me. Great model you have done, hoping my efforts get to look half as good as yours, good job.

Nope, no issues with the tops of the intakes. Just glued together and sanded flush!

• Thanks 1

Nice job. Just built this same kit myself and not as simple as it was made out to be. Looks good in the light grey too. I was in two minds which scheme to go for and ended up doing the 2 sqn version instead. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Habu12 said:

In 1/72, they’re near as makes no difference. Ref pics show Skyflash/Sparrow loaded on the jets. 👍🏼

Airframe wise they are very similar I agree, but the clincher is the fact Skyflash missiles were  overall Light aircraft Grey in colour and Sparrows were white so I would suggest the difference stands out a lot!

Selwyn

• Like 3

Love what you've done with that.

I'm not an F4 "aficionado" (thank goodness for spell checker!), but from what I read in the mags and online the Airfix kit is a bit of a mixed bag.

Even though you pointed out your issues with the canopy, I likely wouldn't have noticed.

All in all, I'd be really proud if I could do an F4 as nice as this.

:goodjob:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Airframe wise they are very similar I agree, but the clincher is the fact Skyflash missiles were  overall Light aircraft Grey in colour and Sparrows were white so I would suggest the difference stands out a lot!

Selwyn

Fully-Armed-Phantom.jpg

Well seeing as how the belly is LAG, those look a lot lighter to me. I’m fine with my choice of color. 

5 hours ago, Habu12 said:

Fully-Armed-Phantom.jpg

Well seeing as how the belly is LAG, those look a lot lighter to me. I’m fine with my choice of color. 

5 hours ago, Habu12 said:

Fully-Armed-Phantom.jpg

Drill Skyflash as seen in this picture, were painted Gloss LAG  and regularly cleaned, as obviously opposed to the  Phantom in the picture! If you compare the missile colour to the Drill  sidewinders which are white, and  the grey  "Top" drop tank  which is obviously a clean replacement  explains why they stand out in this picture.  Real skyflash were Matt LAG by the way, but in my many years personal experience  of maintaining and instructing on skyflash missiles  I can assure you that they were never ever painted white.

Selwyn

(Sorry abut the double picture post , Finger trouble!)

Edited by Selwyn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Selwyn said:

Drill Skyflash as seen in this picture, were painted Gloss LAG  and regularly cleaned, as obviously opposed to the  Phantom in the picture! If you compare the missile colour to the Drill  sidewinders which are white, and  the grey  "Top" drop tank  which is obviously a clean replacement  explains why they stand out in this picture.  Real skyflash were Matt LAG by the way, but in my many years personal experience  of maintaining and instructing on skyflash missiles  I can assure you that they were never ever painted white.

Selwyn

(Sorry abut the double picture post , Finger trouble!)

Good for you! Paint it whatever color your heart desires on your next build 👍🏼