Saab SH-37 Viggen - Completed

trickyrich

Rich that is a really special model! Not only rare (especially with those missiles) but also beautifully done. I really like how sharp the camo finish is also (I'm not one of those that thinks everything should always have lots of weathering!), I hope to make a splinter one someday just like this. I have the grey Tarangus JA37 with the big Dayglo numbers that I kinda want to start sooner than later after seeing this and the points/problems you have shown in the WIP will be very helpful in the fight.  10/10! 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, mirageiv said:

Rich that is a really special model! Not only rare (especially with those missiles) but also beautifully done. I really like how sharp the camo finish is also (I'm not one of those that thinks everything should always have lots of weathering!), I hope to make a splinter one someday just like this. I have the grey Tarangus JA37 with the big Dayglo numbers that I kinda want to start sooner than later after seeing this and the points/problems you have shown in the WIP will be very helpful in the fight.  10/10! 

thanks, a grey JA/JAS-37 would be nice and would be what I'd go for if I was to do a project like this again.

I guess if you know in advance that the Tarangus?Special Hobby model will be a bit of a challenge right from the start then it'll make the build easier. After reading all the reviews I thought it was going to be a nice simple build....hence the disappointment! 

Reckon I could now do the splinter in 1/2 the time and with a lot less stress. Guess I'm almost ready for the Ukraine Air Force digital scheme! Plus I'm trying to find some 1/32nd masks so I can do the "Splinter MiG" again, with this new paint it should look stunning!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

thanks, a grey JA/JAS-37 would be nice and would be what I'd go for if I was to do a project like this again.

I guess if you know in advance that the Tarangus?Special Hobby model will be a bit of a challenge right from the start then it'll make the build easier. After reading all the reviews I thought it was going to be a nice simple build....hence the disappointment! 

Reckon I could now do the splinter in 1/2 the time and with a lot less stress. Guess I'm almost ready for the Ukraine Air Force digital scheme! Plus I'm trying to find some 1/32nd masks so I can do the "Splinter MiG" again, with this new paint it should look stunning!

I don't fully trust online reviews anymore tbh! Everything is amazing be it paint/kit/AM too often in online reviews and often reviewed by people that don't really know the subject matter to pic out the flaws, for me only real WIP threads on forums like this give a proper review. Annoyingly the Tarangus JA37 version has no weapon pylons/launchers or weapons (on top of all the other bits seemingly needed to the airframe) so it is another Viggen that needs a boat load of AM to make a proper interesting model. At least however it looks the part like yours when all is done. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 2:19 PM, trickyrich said:

thanks for you nice comments and help through the build! Guess I have been a bit hard on her and myself with this build, after seeing her everyday for 2 months or so I sort of only see the faults with her. But now that's she's finish I'm really starting to appreciate her quite a bit more. I think this really is the only colour scheme a Viggen should be seen in! I'm kind of glad I could sort of do her justice.

:)

Nah, it is a tough kit with some fit issues. I have never used so much filler on the two I built. Took out my WIp AJSF and started again. And I see that there will be atleast as much work if not more on that one..! (I have more AM stuff though)

It is nice when she is ready though. :)

You sure did! :D

18 hours ago, mirageiv said:

I don't fully trust online reviews anymore tbh! Everything is amazing be it paint/kit/AM too often in online reviews and often reviewed by people that don't really know the subject matter to pic out the flaws, for me only real WIP threads on forums like this give a proper review. Annoyingly the Tarangus JA37 version has no weapon pylons/launchers or weapons (on top of all the other bits seemingly needed to the airframe) so it is another Viggen that needs a boat load of AM to make a proper interesting model. At least however it looks the part like yours when all is done. 

That´s so true.

Yeah, no rails or weapons in the JA 37 box. But the pylons are there - or is that the right word? The hard points are there if you know what I mean.

I was annoyed by that at first and the cost can be quite high but I don´t think the details would have been great on any if they had been in there, small, nice detailing is not the kit´s biggest thing - it is more like the basic shape of a Viggen.. ;)

I built my two JAs with just the extra tank, just how they usually looked on air shows. Those on intercept duties usually only had the cannon loaded (the most powerful auto cannon used in a fighter by the way... It is kind of a single barrell GAU-8 with 5-7 more kinetic energy than the 30mm ADENS and a very long range for such a gun..)

And I think it looks decent like that. If you want a good-looking load out the D and especially the Di variant could carry up to 4x AMRAAMs or three plus a jamming device plus two AIM-9Ls. That can quite easily be picked up from other kits. The rails can be used from some of the cheap F-16 or Eurofighter kits iirc..

Any resin variants for a first generation attacker or recce variant will be more expensive but you do get the "rails" in those AM packs.

• Like 1

yeah it's very strange that you don't get any weapons at all with the model!!! Considering the price and how Tarangus have pitched their very version as a "Special Edition"!!! Guess just plain lazy manufacturing like the rest of the model!

for me I just love the look of an aircraft loaded for bear!!! (loaded to the max!!) I do like the clean lines of aircraft, am a designer at heart, but I do love the brutal look an aircraft has with a full load out.

• Like 1

just because I'm pretty chuffed...... this baby took out 1st place at my local IPMS meeting today. Think she may have to join the F-14D in the final end of the year major comp now!

• Like 3

On 5/25/2019 at 2:36 PM, trickyrich said:

just because I'm pretty chuffed...... this baby took out 1st place at my local IPMS meeting today. Think she may have to join the F-14D in the final end of the year major comp now!

Congratulations and well done Rich. Nice to see your skill and effort gaining some deserved recognition :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Col. said:

Congratulations and well done Rich. Nice to see your skill and effort gaining some deserved recognition :thumbsup:

cheers

one of the members even asked if I was ever wanting to sell it he'd be very interested in buying it!! I was almost going to say he could have have it if he could give me back the stress the paint job created!!

• Haha 2