Saab SH-37 Viggen - Completed

trickyrich

ok no messing around, I’m totally stuffed so here’s a photo of where she’s at….

IMG_2884-L.jpg

A bit patchy but the main painting bit is over thank god!!!! What a couple of days………rewind to first thing yesterday, all bright eye’d and bushy tailed already to paint. One final rub down and she’s all ready, got all the essentials already 

IMG_2875-L.jpg

My usual effort of squiggly lines all over the shot, time to mask, decided to fit all the masks so I could paint from light to dark.

IMG_2876-L.jpg

I have to admit at this stage I was unusually nervous and even had a bit of the shakes….this was make or break time.

Ok this is 4 hours later…… I have never felt true despair as I did about a ¼ the through doing the masks……was a truly horrible feeling!! I just didn’t know what to do… so I just pressed on..

IMG_2877-L.jpg

…the reason the masks didn’t fit or line up!!! I have a feeling they were designed for the Esci/Airfix model as key lining up points just didn’t! There’s no guide on how you should place them or even where to start, I started on one wing, but to be honest no matter where you’d start they still wouldn’t line up. I though the masks were bad on the Splinter MiG, but these are at another level again.

Once they were all on (in the end I just stuck them on anywhere!) time to pint the underside Swedish Army Blue-Grey. As mentioned previously I would be using Mr. Paint Lacquers for the paint, they have a range of colours just for the Swedish Air Force. This paint is the only reason I even attempted this scheme!

IMG_2878-L.jpg

Ok I skipped some layers as I had new dramas….the primer was lifting when the masks where removed!! I had spent ages ensuring everything was ready for painting, lastly everything was wiped down with enamel thinners to help remove any last oils or greases as I always do but for some reason the primer started to lift in odd spots. It was too late now to scrap all the masks and start again, so I just pressed on. So Swedish Army Mid Green & Tan were the two earlier colours used.

The Swedish Army Dark Green had just been shot, you can see a couple of sport where the paint/primer has lifted…

IMG_2881-L.jpg

Right ready for the final colour Swedish Army Black…again after 4 hours of masking!!!

IMG_2882-L.jpg

Finally time to remove the masks and see how it looked. Ok there are a few patches I need to redo, as the masks weren’t right and the pattern was a bit off. So I’ll re-mask these areas up and fix these up, plus a couple of the lines are off and a wee bit of overspray as well. But considering the amount of masking involved (and time easily 8-10 hours!!!) I’m happy with the results.

IMG_2883-L.jpg

IMG_2885-L.jpg

IMG_2886-L.jpg

Most of the patches where the primer/paint lifted off have been covered with the next colour and you’d be hard pressed to find them. Because this paint is so fine/thin the layers just don’t show so these spots have almost disappeared, plus with the final coat of Mr. Paint Flat Clear any remaining issues with paint layers will just disappear, this stuff is magic!

Once I’ve finished the touch-ups I’ll do the Flat Black radome fin tip/leading edge then give her a coat of clear. But I’m going to have a break from her for a bit….I’m totally shattered…..

• Like 25

Sexy beast Rich!  😍

And I may or may not have ordered another one.....

Sprue Brothers had them on sale...how could I say no.  Besides my other one was the red farewell demonstrator...and I'm not particularly fond of bright colored birds (but it was on sale at the time & I wasn't expecting to see the splinter camo version go on sale).  Give me line jets any day of the week!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, helios16v said:

Sexy beast Rich!  😍

And I may or may not have ordered another one.....

Sprue Brothers had them on sale...how could I say no.  Besides my other one was the red farewell demonstrator...and I'm not particularly fond of bright colored birds (but it was on sale at the time & I wasn't expecting to see the splinter camo version go on sale).  Give me line jets any day of the week!

save yourself some grief and build the Red one or a JA/JAS Grey one!

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Great work Rich, well worth the effort of masking. :worthy:

at the moment i have to question that......maybe after a week I may grow to like her again.....that paint scheme really took it to of me. This would have to be one of my toughest builds yet, the only reason I'm still at it is because I have so much invested in it....and not money wise either. Once done she'll be a labour of love that's fore sure.

• Like 1

Thanks

I had another look at her last night, the required masking shouldn't be that hard, I just need to follow the patterns, maybe half a days work and she's done.

In the meantime I'll start painting the Skyknight, nice and simple, one colour and no masking!

That looks a splendid effort, dramas aside, we'll done, a touch up here and there and a bit of weathering, it'll be a proper eye catcher rich, ace job

• Like 1

Wow, great work! it looks awesome!

I have built two of those 48th scale Viggens - it is my fav aircraft by far, and have a third in the works (well.. : )

it is a tough build, a lot of fit issues that, atleast for me, needed alot of sanding and filling. But I was really happy afterwards.

I used Maestro´s masks but Gunze paints. They looked good and I did not know about those newer Slovakian ones by then 8not sure they even existed!).  Not sure what colour I put down first..

That splinter built was a bit messy at the end though but my grey fighter-Viggen was something I was very happy with. Though you are a far better modeller than me.. ;)

Keep it coming! :D

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paramedic said:

Wow, great work! it looks awesome!

I have built two of those 48th scale Viggens - it is my fav aircraft by far, and have a third in the works (well.. : )

it is a tough build, a lot of fit issues that, atleast for me, needed alot of sanding and filling. But I was really happy afterwards.

I used Maestro´s masks but Gunze paints. They looked good and I did not know about those newer Slovakian ones by then 8not sure they even existed!).  Not sure what colour I put down first..

That splinter built was a bit messy at the end though but my grey fighter-Viggen was something I was very happy with. Though you are a far better modeller than me.. ;)

Keep it coming! :D

thanks, if I was to do it again I might try going from dark to light as i did sometime back with the "Splinter MiG" I mentioned.

IMG_2418.jpg

The only issue with that is that it would change the shades of the top colours, maybe not an issue with the Dark Green, but the Mid Green and Tan would be too dark. not unless each coat was really heavy.

I should have gone light to dark and asked each stage, probably would have taken just as long. with trying to get the pattern to line up, but may have been easier in the long run.

I'm sort of glad i wasn't the only one that had fit issues, reading the reviews nothing was mentioned....as usual. If Tamiya was to do one in 1/48th I'd buy it in a flash.....and do a Grey one! :D

These Mr. Paint Acrylic lacquer paints I used......I just can't say enough of how highly I think of and rate them....think Tamiya Acrylics only 100, no a 1000 time better!!! They go on so perfectly it's really hard to stuff them up, and each layer is just so thin!! As I mentioned with this pervious build, in spots there are over 20 layers of paint (close to 26/27 on the upper surfaces) and seen in real life you just can't tell (member of my local IPMS were amazed), all the original detail is so crisp.

IMG_2623-XL.jpg

I would strongly recommend you give them a go, trust me you'll be converted, and they do a nice range of Swedish colours as you've seen.

• Like 7

Wow!

Now that's is one nice splinter-Viggen!

I'm sorry to hear about the paint lifting though, quite a disappointment.

The thrust reverser hade a tendency to really affect the paint, especially the tan colors. On the other hand, those AJS Viggens that I serviced in 1997 hade never been repainted other than a few markings and were quite beaten up after 20 years of service.

MrPaint are terrific to use! Some Flygvapen experts are mixing their own versions of the green colors though, since they didn't really match when compared directly to the originals. 

I could dig up the mixes if someone wants them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Christer A said:

Wow!

Now that's is one nice splinter-Viggen!

I'm sorry to hear about the paint lifting though, quite a disappointment.

The thrust reverser hade a tendency to really affect the paint, especially the tan colors. On the other hand, those AJS Viggens that I serviced in 1997 hade never been repainted other than a few markings and were quite beaten up after 20 years of service.

MrPaint are terrific to use! Some Flygvapen experts are mixing their own versions of the green colors though, since they didn't really match when compared directly to the originals. 

I could dig up the mixes if someone wants them.

thanks but I'm past wanting to re-paint her! Am in the final stages of doing the touch-up's and pattern refining. I know the pattern is not 100% accurate but it's already doing my head in! It is though looking so much better with the touchups, am really happy with the look.

• Like 2

…well not quite but I’m nearly there!

I just could seem to leave her along so I decided to start the touch up process. Again lots of masking required, I try to do so I could do 2 colour touch ups in the same painting session. In the end I needed to do 3 painting sessions and it’s pretty much done.

IMG_2898-L.jpg

She looks so much better now I’ve added the sorts I missed plus tidied up the pattern.

IMG_2896-L.jpg

There a couple of minor spots I need to redo and the paint lifted off again in a couple of spots as well!

IMG_2894-L.jpg

She looks a bit patchy at the moment because of the touch up spots, but these will disappear once the gloss coat is on.

IMG_2895-L.jpg

IMG_2897-L.jpg

One question I have for anyone reading this is that I’m a bit confused with the leading edge of the Intakes and Fin. Some photos of the SH show these painted black and in other photos they aren’t. So I’m not to sure which way to go????

After all the stress and hassles with the masking and painting I’m finally at a point now where I’m starting to really like her again! With a wee bit of work and luck I should have her completed by the end of the weekend! 

• Like 11

On 3/9/2019 at 9:50 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If that scheme doesn't melt your brain Rich, your a modeling master. 

“ I know the pattern is not 100% accurate but it's already doing my head in!”

Hello @trickyrich I warned you. 😉 ... Super impressive though, looking forward to seeing it finished and in the gallery. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

This of any use to you Rich?

http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/Viggen_Valet

Looks like they had fun masking too!

Excellent work by the way mate, if it wasn't for all the kits "issues" I would be getting one myself.

arrr yes and no.......the painting with the roller is interesting!

here's two examples and I really don't know which is the more correct. I may have to narrow it down to individual aircraft?? Arr due to copyright stuff I can only paste in links to the photos! :whistle:

This one is without the Black "trim"

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-SH37-Viggen/2719189?qsp=eJwtjEEKwkAMRe%2BStRspKHSnK3cKeoGQfGqxOkMmYIfSu5sO7t7/D95Ckj6O2R81g3oqYJMn7Siz8btQv9AL9ZtMg%2Bl%2B6Y7hSjI/19jKjpMIskP//9UUtikUaZkhsvsA2K0xdYf4dSx54taA8zjRuv4Av0AtoA%3D%3D

and here's one with it......though quite worn (and weathered as well)

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Sweden-Air-Force/Saab-SH37-Viggen/4045095?qsp=eJwtjEEKwkAMRe%2BStRspKHSnK3cKeoGQfGqxOkMmYIfSu5sO7t7/D95Ckj6O2R81g3oqYJMn7Siz8btQv9AL9ZtMg%2Bl%2B6Y7hSjI/19jKjpMIskP//9UUtikUaZkhsvsA2K0xdYf4dSx54taA8zjRuv4Av0AtoA%3D%3D

think I'm going to have to spend sometime doing some research to git it right!

• Like 1

IIRC the leading edges were protected by a tape that was (sometimes) black. Underneath it it was natural metal.

It seems to me that the slightly earlier AJ37 hade silver leading edges, and the SH black.  After all the SH were supposed to spend most of the time over the Baltic.

But the more you look, the more confused you get, because you can find SF with black LE or Alu, as well as AJ and SH!

You probably need a picture of the correct aircraft at the intended time...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Christer A said:

IIRC the leading edges were protected by a tape that was (sometimes) black. Underneath it it was natural metal.

It seems to me that the slightly earlier AJ37 hade silver leading edges, and the SH black.  After all the SH were supposed to spend most of the time over the Baltic.

But the more you look, the more confused you get, because you can find SF with black LE or Alu, as well as AJ and SH!

You probably need a picture of the correct aircraft at the intended time...

That´s how I have understood it too and iirc you see black, "silver" and even canom - but I haven´t reflected on differences between AJ/AJS/SH/SF etc.. Better check the individual? :)

That blac, atleast, is like de icing boots eh?

@ trickyrich, agreed on the paints - I bought them, just not until I had used Gunzes on my first splinter-camo Viggen. I like those shades but the other ones are so thin and nice.....

• Thanks 1