Saab SH-37 Viggen - Completed

trickyrich

7 hours ago, Christer A said:

Oh, so you've ordered the thrust reversers for the Viggen?

Note, it's ONLY the top one that hangs down when the aircraft is at rest.  All three are only deployed closed during braking (and off course reversing!) and is never seen closed during normal operations.

For pictures: look here

http://chefsingenjoren.blogspot.com/2011/05/pa-hal-is.html

Yeah i've got some news ones on the way, the kit ones look quite thick and the detail is a bit soft.

thanks for that, I have seen a couple of photos that show the same. The instruction give you 3 options for the thrust reverses, fully closed, fully open, and 1/2 open, they mention this is how they are normally on the ground. 

• Like 1

I’m still waiting for bits for this build unfortunately!

I’m itching to get back to it so I’ve started to do some of the other bits while I wait.

I’ve spent more time on the intake cleaning it up as best I can. I’ve given it a coat of white primer, doesn’t look too bad so I should be able to paint it soon. Looking at some reference photos of the intakes and it seems they got quite dirty/discoloured inside, they weren’t super clean and very white. Guess some poor small fitter had to climb inside to check the front fan??? I remember on the AF’s on the F-111 you’d always find a Sumpy or two inside the intakes of exhaust can’s…..think they liked small dark places!

IMG_2738-L.jpg

I cleaned up the wings, all that time spent sorting out the joins was worth it, almost perfect, just a touch with a fine sanding pad and sorted!

IMG_2737-L.jpg

I’m getting new airbrakes and insides, so decided to make a star and remove the blank moulded plastic ones on the model. I carefully ground out the backs before cleaning up the openings.

IMG_2741-L.jpg

All done now….just now gotta hope that the new ones don’t get lost!!!

IMG_2742-L.jpg

Whilst I was at it I decided to start on the exhaust section, I’m wanting on the Thrust Reverser petals but they can be fitted later so I started on this area. I have to say it’s very poorly done! There’s a modelled panel on each side but to mould it they’ve made a cut-out in the mould and just left it like that! Plus there’s some weird small triangles either side of it, who knows why they’re here as they don’t appear on the aircraft! Plus there’s a panel line at the top that’s missing as well. The white things at the bottom are the new panels.

IMG_2739-L.jpg

First off I sanded the panel off, I made some small mark to help me put the card replacements back into the correct position. I added the new panel lines at the top. I then added some plastic card to fill the mould holes. It’s better than using filler as it won’t shrink. Finally some filler was added to fill the remaining gaps.

IMG_2740-L.jpg

Everything sanded back and it looks so much better, I just need to thin down the new “panel covers” and fit them.

IMG_2743-L.jpg

I have a feeling getting everything to line up correctly at the back here is going to be a fun job! Lots more test fitting and adjustment requited before any glue is used that’s for sure!!

IMG_2744-L.jpg

Gosh I hope some of these new part arrive soon, I really want to get a move on with her……though the painting bit is still to come!

• Like 9

The postal gods looked upon me with favour today…. the cockpit parts arrived!  :yahoo: Well the important parts, these look suspiciously like Eduard parts, even though they don’t do any for this model!

IMG_2746-L.jpg

(Gosh I should get payments for the amount of their products I'm using on this build!!!) But gosh their stuff is nice!!!

Right, this is what I’m starting with…..and I really don’t like what I’ve done at all. 

IMG_2745-L.jpg

Now I got soooo carried away with the modification process I forgot all about taking any photos at this stage or even later when closing up the front fuselage! :doh:

The new cockpit is a vast improvement, I even got the colour right this time as well, it’s a much lighter grey colour…not that the original instructions were any help!

IMG_2749-L.jpg

For the moment I’m using the kit supplied seat for test purposes, this will be replaced with a new resin one…..which will hopefully fit this time!

IMG_2747-L.jpg

IMG_2748-L.jpg

With the cockpit in place I could now assemble the front fuselage section….and again I forgot photos of some of the stages! :wall: Basically I didn’t follow the instructions at all! After lots of test fitting I decided to do it this way:

1, fit the intake ducts to the lower fuselage.

2, once dry test fit the top fuselage section. You may need to remove plastic from the intake outer sides to allow the sides to fit flush with the lower fuselage sides. You may also need to wedge the upper fuselage sides to make them a wee bit wider.

3, Glue each section of the upper fuselage in sections and allow to dry, this allows for better alignment of each section.

But again first test fit plenty of times before applying any glue!!!

After a light sanding the results aren’t too bad.

IMG_2752-L.jpg

The main fuselage side need just a touch of filler.

The intakes joins will need a bit more work, some stretched sprue should sort this out.

IMG_2754-L.jpg

With the new cockpit I’ll now probably leave the cockpit open.

IMG_2756-L.jpg

Gosh I do love the look of her!!! 

IMG_2757-L.jpg

IMG_2759-L.jpg

I really hope I can pull off this paint job, done right she’ll be a stunner! What an awesome looking aircraft…now why couldn’t the RAAF have a beasty like this! Hmmm a bit too much work with this model for a RAAF Whiffy!

Whilst I had some free time on my hand (idol hands are the Devil’s tools  :devil: ) I managed to do some work on the Hasegawa F-14D and the Su-24! I may sneak in some photos next instalment. 

• Like 15

Yeah!

Great progress!

Plesase some sneaky pics ;)

Those PE parts are done by Eduard afaik..  there are some more brands using them as well as PE providers! Special Hobby, hph, ...

Edited by exdraken
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding work in correcting and improving this beast Rich, the cockpit and intake work (and the rest of the mods) are certainly worth the extra effort, very nice indeed! The kit looks a bit tougher than what the online reviews seem to suggest though! I'm saving some pdfs of this thread as when I tackle my JA37 this should help out a heck of a lot. A splinter Viggen with those big RB04s will be worth all the effort in the end!

David

4 hours ago, Mottlemaster said:

Joke ..What do you call an aircraft that doesnt eat meat

A   Saab Vegan :whistle:

hmmm  :doh:  don't you have a model you should be building!

3 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Outstanding work in correcting and improving this beast Rich, the cockpit and intake work (and the rest of the mods) are certainly worth the extra effort, very nice indeed! The kit looks a bit tougher than what the online reviews seem to suggest though! I'm saving some pdfs of this thread as when I tackle my JA37 this should help out a heck of a lot. A splinter Viggen with those big RB04s will be worth all the effort in the end!

David

thanks, though it is quite a bit more than I first expected with this build. All the reviews I've read too al say what a lovely model it is, but I haven't found a full build done of her yet (probably could if I spent more time looking). I guess if you've built a few Special Hobby's models you'll know what you're going to be faced with. Could be worse and be the Esci/Airfix (or Italeri) one, maybe a better build (slightly) but it has huge shape issues.

But as you mentioned it's those big missiles and splinter camouflage that hooked me! I'm never one to build a simple model.....why make life easy on myself!

5 hours ago, exdraken said:

Yeah!

Great progress!

Plesase some sneaky pics ;)

....watch this space!  

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 5:46 PM, trickyrich said:

I’ve spent more time on the intake cleaning it up as best I can. I’ve given it a coat of white primer, doesn’t look too bad so I should be able to paint it soon. Looking at some reference photos of the intakes and it seems they got quite dirty/discoloured inside, they weren’t super clean and very white.

I'm not on my home computer now so I can't upload any photos, but all the references that I have show natural metal for the interior of the intakes. It fits to the rest of the aircraft as well, none of the other wells or openings are painted white, all bare metal.

Cheers,

Hoops

24 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I'm not on my home computer now so I can't upload any photos, but all the references that I have show natural metal for the interior of the intakes. It fits to the rest of the aircraft as well, none of the other wells or openings are painted white, all bare metal.

Cheers,

Hoops

ok cool, am very interested to see them. The ones I've been looking at are photos from walk arounds of aircraft in museums, and they show them as dirty white almost grey inside (unless that's the natural metal finish?? :hmmm:). I know the wheel wells and other opening are natural metal inside, so this sort of makes sense.

Any info or photos you have would be awesome.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

ok cool, am very interested to see them. The ones I've been looking at are photos from walk arounds of aircraft in museums, and they show them as dirty white almost grey inside (unless that's the natural metal finish?? :hmmm:). I know the wheel wells and other opening are natural metal inside, so this sort of makes sense.

Any info or photos you have would be awesome.

This is what I've got:

33657745828_88f93131ac.jpg17684571 by J Hooper, on Flickr

32592040257_f553961d9b_z.jpg20575309 by J Hooper, on Flickr

Cheers,

Hoops

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I'm a 1/72 scale builder, so I don't have the 1/48 Tarangus kit in hand. Some of the mistakes were fixed scaling down to 1/72, but some remained. You've already corrected a good number of them, there a few more depending on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

Missing AOA probe on left nose

Missing Jet Fuel Starter exhaust under the fuselage between the fuselage pylons

Missing oval vent/drain on the bottom of the exhaust shroud

Missing a bunch of panel lines on the vertical stab

Missing the RWR antennas on the rear tip of the tail sting above the exhaust

At least on the 1/72 scale kit, the forward fuselage pylons are too short in length

Missing the small vortex generators on the exhaust nozzle (one each on the sides, two on the bottom cutout)

There are a few other little missing panel lines, but those are the things I could come up with off the top of my head.

Hoops

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

thanks for those photos, they're great, especially the one looking forward, quite a different a rare view. You 100% right, I just re-looked over a couple of photos I have of the intake ducts (not the white one) and it's the same colour.

I know that finish and have seen it in the hot sections on F-111's and other aircraft. From memory the metal is treated but it very quickly develops this sort of "patina". Will have to have a wee think on how to replicate this.

Some of those things I know some are new to me. The RWR antenna, is that the blade one behind the fin itself? If so the SH & SF didn't have them (of AJ's), they were a later addition.

One thing I have noticed is the intakes are missing a wee bracket at the bottom between them and the fuselage, plus there's an even small one at the bottom as well in the notch in the intake. Once I've closed up and joined the fuselage I'll then spend more time going over reference photos to see what's missing.

I now pretty much only work on 1/48th and larger scales (actually now starting to build more 1/32nd) as it's a bit easier on the eyes.....not so the pocket!!!

Again thanks for the info, it much appreciated.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Some of those things I know some are new to me. The RWR antenna, is that the blade one behind the fin itself? If so the SH & SF didn't have them (of AJ's), they were a later addition.

I'm referring to this antenna/reciever:

Photo on Prime Portal:

The blade antenna behind the rudder was only on the JA-37 fighters, even the updated AJS-37 didn't recieve them.

The lower bracket/brace on the intake is included in the 1/72 scale kit, so I didn't know it would be missing from the 1/48 scale kit.

All for now,

Hoops

Arrrr that one!! :D I have the exact same photo, I've using that walk around as well.

No all the things like that i'll start to work through once all the major stuff in done.

This the best one I've found so far for the SH-37 model, plus it has some good shots of the SKA24 Long Range Camera pod which I'm fitting.

http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/walkarounds/avia/after_1950/viggen/

Again all the info is very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Ok this now seems to be an endless story….no new parts!!

So as I’m about to head offshore for a couple of weeks this will be the last update for a bit, so there’s a couple of added extras at the end!!!!

Ok I did just a little bit more on her now the front fuselage is together. The lower part of the splitter is way to thick when compared to photo’s so this was sorted out. The RH one is the unmodified splitter, the left the newly thinned downed version (looks much better in real).

IMG_2770-L.jpg

Ok time for a bit of filler, probably a bit more than I’d hope for, all the large gaps in the joins had already been filler with stretched sprue. Plus the nose has been added as well, wit some extra weight to help her sit properly (the dual main gear setup had her sitting high in the nose).

IMG_2780-L.jpg

IMG_2781-L.jpg

Ok time for the other fun stuff as promised!!!

Lots done on the Su-24, it’s hard to believe how much I’ve done in the past couple of weeks compared to the last 18mths of work on her!

The new tail now looks like a Su-24compared to the rubbish that was there before! Lots or work required getting it to this stage.

IMG_2777-L.jpg

IMG_1579-L.jpg

Since the photo above new nozzles have been fitted as in the top photo.

The underside is finally looking ok, you can see all the new parts and filler!!

IMG_2779-L.jpg

The all new cockpit, Aries and Eduard, looks great but gosh so much work an I still have the canopies to fit!!!

IMG_2778-L.jpg

The fun stuff, she’ll be a Ukraine bird in Anti-shipping mode, just to chase off those evil Ruskies! So my choices are:

Kh-29L’s (fitted Laser guided) or Kh-29H’s (in front TV guided) plus data Link pods

IMG_2774-L.jpg

Kh-25MP’s (Fitted and behind Anti-radition) or Kh-25ML’s (in front Laser guided) plus data link pods

IMG_2775-L.jpg

Kh-59’s, this is my fav but I’m reading conflicting reports as to if the Ukraine Air Force ever used/had the weapon or not….but it’s such an awesome looking thing!!! Unfortunately I my have to go with the Kh-29L’s!

IMG_2776-L.jpg

….and I’ve done some work on this beast….gosh what a piece of  :poop:  this one is after the Tamiya model! I can imagine there are quite a few of these on shelfs of doom all over the place, it’s just about unbuildable! With the main fuselage together there are issues and huge gaps! Lots of plastic card behind some of the main gear wheel well, just to keep it in place!!! Plus bits to help align the intakes!

IMG_2782-L.jpg

The upper side sort of looks ok but major re-shaping was required on the side bulges either side of the intakes (ECM housings??), there shape was all wrong and gaps. Plus some other bits and pieces.

IMG_2783-L.jpg

The wings required major work to have the slats and flaps up, slight addition to the Aries cockpit, plus cans and new nozzles. I know they should be open but can’t be bothered spend another $25 USD on open replacements!

IMG_2784-L.jpg

Finally some other projects that are on the go as well…….The B-57 (G) is in advanced planning stage, all new cockpit is coming, plus additional extras are planned, starting date is yet to be determined.

IMG_2785-L.jpg

So that’s it for 2 weeks   , hopefully the next update will be full of lots of new bit and major improvements!

• Like 9

Great progress!

and thanks for the sneakers ;)

looking at the Su-24 rear end and my box awaiting a similar fait, I am wondering if there is need to replace the nozzles again with Amigo ones - would they fit the Komplekt Zip shrouds?  ...... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

regarding the weapons..... same story...

a pity the -24 is so limited in what it can carry at once! 

oh yeah... modelling is hard work :D

Edited by exdraken

18 minutes ago, exdraken said:

looking at the Su-24 rear end and my box awaiting a similar fait, I am wondering if there is need to replace the nozzles again with Amigo ones - would they fit the Komplekt Zip shrouds?  ...... :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

those nozzles are the Amigo ones and they fit nice, you just have to grind out the shroud a bit to get them to fit.

IMG_2688-L.jpg

IMG_1576-L.jpg

.......................AMG............................................Komplekt ZAP..................kit open...........................kit closed.............................

for those who don't know why the tail needs replacing...

IMG_1582-XL.jpg

...and nose...

IMG_0720-L.jpg

• Like 6

The nose I could probably live with as I'm not that picky (assuming of course it isn't premium priced).  But that difference in the tail would bug the crap out of me.  That's huge!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, helios16v said:

The nose I could probably live with as I'm not that picky (assuming of course it isn't premium priced).  But that difference in the tail would bug the crap out of me.  That's huge!

yeah the tail is completely wrong even worse that what they did with the F-111! The canopy is also wrong, I didn't take a photo of it. Standing alone you'd probably never have noticed it......but seen with one with the correct nose it'd stand out like doggy bits!

Even the intakes were the wrong shape and size. On some model these things probably would worry me too much, but this one is a beast, she'll stand out on any table, and I just couldn't live with those issues. Same with some on the Viggen, they maybe small and sort of unnoticeable, but once you've seen them!

Unfortunately there'll probably never be another really good version of this aircraft ever released so I figured I'd only ever build this one so I may as well do it right. Collect-Wire did a version, quite accurate in shape as well....bu it borders on being unbuildable.....and $300+ for the privilege if you can find one!

The conversions aren't cheap, all up more than the original cost!!! I try not to look at the final figure as I know it'll scare me!!!!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

yeah the tail is completely wrong even worse that what they did with the F-111! The canopy is also wrong, I didn't take a photo of it. Standing alone you'd probably never have noticed it......but seen with one with the correct nose it'd stand out like doggy bits!

Even the intakes were the wrong shape and size. On some model these things probably would worry me too much, but this one is a beast, she'll stand out on any table, and I just couldn't live with those issues. Same with some on the Viggen, they maybe small and sort of unnoticeable, but once you've seen them!

Unfortunately there'll probably never be another really good version of this aircraft ever released so I figured I'd only ever build this one so I may as well do it right. Collect-Wire did a version, quite accurate in shape as well....bu it borders on being unbuildable.....and $300+ for the privilege if you can find one!

The conversions aren't cheap, all up more than the original cost!!! I try not to look at the final figure as I know it'll scare me!!!!

The point is that not too much is left from the original kit... somde fuselage bc snd wings....

The weapons are another similar story though... when they came out eberybody excited of the Russian weapons set with a Su-24 lookalike thrown in ;)

Nowadays you get better ones in nearly every kit.... KH, GWH, AMK, etc.... 

• Like 2

The viggen is going great rich,   top job, a fair amount of work to get it right by the looks of it, I'd have abandoned the hasegawa f14 before now, you're persistent ( stubborn 😁) I'll give you that, and the work you've put into the su24 is cracking, I've got one and every now and then I buy something for it and put it in the box, like @exdrakensays the original kit parts are getting ousted by resin bits an pe,and by the end  there won't be much left of trumpys  original, then I'll have to build it 

Edited by Hewy

you should build it. I know a lot of the Trumpy model is rubbish and unless you're really fussy (not quite the word I'd describe myself as :D) you could get away with just doing the tail only and maybe a new cockpit, though the Eduard update would probably be just enough. But it's such and awesome looking aircraft I've been "flying her" all round my work area! :D

Trying to fit the Aires cockpit into the Komplekt ZAP new nose was sort of asking for trouble, not helped by both sides of the new fuselage being warped! Fitting the new VacForm front canopy section is not something I'm at all looking forward to! The clam-shell main canopies are going to be a bit of a Frankenstein creation I thing as I'm going to try and stitch together the VacFrom/ZAP/kit conopies.........this'll be interesting, worse case I'll just use the kit ones. Being open and on a angle you don't notice the shape issues. 

As someone that has crawled inside the Viggen intakes with a flashlight to inspect the first set of fan blades, I can personally guarantee that its not painted in any way 😎, but from the pictures above that is already proven.

Anyway, don't forget the safety handle on the ejection seat!

MMCK-7204_L.JPG

It points forward when the aircraft is powered off, and is flipped to the left when the aircraft is started, and the pilot has a need to get out in a hurry...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1